It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the username status numbers finally make sense!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I like the numbers below our username now... it took a long time to really get used to them but I actually glance at them now!

basically how I see it is like this:

P = posts written
F = flags
S = stars

We all know what those mean

A low "W" means you don't write many of your own threads
A high "W" means you do start a lot of your own threads

A high "K" means the comments you leave get a lot of stars
A low "K" means the comments you leave don't make much impact.

I like the numbers because I can get a feel for someone's ATS member style and maybe decide which threads to focus on if I'm pressed for time. For example, If someone posts a UFO video and their numbers are something like W: 50, and K: 0.3.... with 800 posts, and 6 flags... I may not pay that much attention to it.

On the contrary if someone says something like "my close friend says the Marines are going into Libya tonight - no proof, but hey." I'll look at the stats... if they've been on ATS a long time, have a high "K" and lots of flags I'll be more likely to beleive them!

Thanks ATS!

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
The "K" number can also be understood by the ratio of posts to stars (with some other aspects thrown in)

My "K" is 28 - medium high I think?
I have 1700 posts and 2600 stars, so roughly 1.5 stars per post.

just checked someone else and noticed 900 posts, 1250 stars, roughly 1.25 stars per post, gave a "K" of 21.

and... a new guy with 100 posts and 250 stars, 2.5 per post, gave a "K" of 58

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

I haven't written many threads..
Hows that work?

W=wonder..
We wonder what it means..

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thermo Klein
I like the numbers because I can get a feel for someone's ATS member style and maybe decide which threads to focus on if I'm pressed for time.
If they've been on ATS a long time, have a high "K" and lots of flags I'll be more likely to beleive them!

Thanks ATS!

Hmmmm...I have loads of Ks and Fs and Ss and Ps but I'll bet my bottom dollar you haven't seen or commented on any of my threads so far!!!

C'mon man, shake a leg and get cracking!

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
I haven't written many threads..
Hows that work?

Oh man! You got:

P 7,464
F 92
S 12,477,
W 86
K 25

12,477 stars, more than the ones in the local galaxy cluster and you signed up just four months ago?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Interpret the numbers and give them the weight that you will but I think you may have mis-characterized a couple of your evaluations.

With the exception of K they all have a cumulative effect, i.e., the more active one is and the more they produce raises those numbers as they contribute with the exception of K which seems to be the relation of stars and flags to the number of posts, so K is more of a ATS reader-given rating.

K might suggest how well that member's contribution is received by others, so a high K would likely indicate that other ATS members rate this member well and tend to think their contributions are valuable.

F, flags, would be the rating to indicate the person creates many threads and how well those threads are received and considered valuable to other members, but these are cumulative and should be considered against the number of threads one actually starts. Their actual thread count can be found on their profile page along with some other data that does not appear with their posts.

From the profile page you can find the number of Applause ATS staff has awarded the member and might indicate how well his contributions are considered to add to the overall quality of ATS. These too should perhaps be guaged against the overall number of contributions the member has made over time. ATS points may be all over the board in relation to the number of the persons contributions though they do increase as contributions are made, however, the points can fluctuate and the member can earn a seemingly disproportionate number of ATS points to their overall post/flag count. Many members have negative ATS points where points are deducted for warnings received. Some members may actually prefer reading posts fom those with negative points as their comments could tend to be more sharp and cutting.

The W rating largely keeps in-step with the number of posts but other factors like flags, applause, and stars can add to that number. To give weight to the W number is should be examined against the member's post count to see if it actually is indicating more than just their overall post count.

Then you are left to decide, if you wish to evaluate a member by his numbers as you suggest you do, if you choose quantity over quality or some other factors such as popularity or inflammatory qualities of their contributions. Some of these points are just raw count while others are highly subjective. If one goes by numbers alone they may overlook a new member that really has something valuable they are contributing. High numbers can indicate a seasoned ATS veteran but overlook new talent. And a high K may only indicate the member has touched on some volatile issues and said something popular on some occasions and may be more indicative of the popularity of the issues that member has spoken to. The numbers are a bit of a crapshoot.

In the end, those numbers may really be more important to the member himself so they could guage how their contributions are being received ay ATS staff and members as it sometimes can be difficult to be objective about one's own contributions.

I have fun with the numbers and I am conscious of them but they may give false impressions if taken out of their overall context.

Originally posted by Thermo Klein
I like the numbers below our username now... it took a long time to really get used to them but I actually glance at them now!

basically how I see it is like this:

P = posts written
F = flags
S = stars

We all know what those mean

A high "K" means the comments you leave get a lot of stars
A low "K" means the comments you leave don't make much impact.

I like the numbers because I can get a feel for someone's ATS member style and maybe decide which threads to focus on if I'm pressed for time. For example, If someone posts a UFO video and their numbers are something like W: 50, and K: 0.3.... with 800 posts, and 6 flags... I may not pay that much attention to it.

On the contrary if someone says something like "my close friend says the Marines are going into Libya tonight - no proof, but hey." I'll look at the stats... if they've been on ATS a long time, have a high "K" and lots of flags I'll be more likely to beleive them!

Thanks ATS!

edit on 21-4-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

Err . . .
K = Karma
W = Wats [FLAGS x 5 (stars)]

Seraph

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Not sure about the W and K number analysis.
I know there's a thread that explains those numbers and letters but I don't remember what they mean. How did you determine what they mean?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I saw that one and honestly, I don't see it working the way it was described.

It's all good though

To the OP.

I bet you're wrong and you will be told so soon. You just may go nuts trying to figure it all out.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

High numbers can indicate a seasoned ATS veteran but overlook new talent.

So true..
I notice i get more stars than when I first joined merely because I am now better known and people tend to focus on members with high numbers..

I try to look at new members posts and always star them when appropriate..
New members are often overlooked and that's sad..
Some have excellent posts...

new topics

top topics

join