It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God a sexist

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Hope this is the right forum.

The history of Abrahamic religions does nothing more than teach women have to take second place.

While man was made under the image of God, the prevailing rule under Christianity, Islam and Judaism is that woman was made under the image of man.

The pagans celebrated womanhood, there were Godesses, along came the Abrahamic God (male) who made it clear that women live in subjugation, even today in the most enligtened Christian family, the man is the head of the household.....why..?

I have studied the Bible and the Koran for the status of women, nowhere can I find women being equal to a man.

Have come to the conclusion that the Abrahamic God is indeed sexist

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by dizzylizzy

Can you please post evidence of this?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
First, the concept of Male and Female need to be explained if you want to understand the essential differences between Judaism vs. Pagandom.

Also, if you actually analyze the 6 days of creation, each day brings into existence something of a higher spiritual order. The last thing created was a woman, the only thing capable of helping the man become what he needed to become.

Its a tenet of Judaism that woman are of a higher spiritual level than men. Woman are more emotional, more spiritually powerful, and better able to overcome the most difficult of circumstances.

Even when a woman gives birth to a daughter, according to the Torah, she needs to rest for twice the time that she rests for a male child, and this is because the spiritual soul that is brought into the world is of a higher order. Its a strain on her spiritually, and so requires a longer restive period.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
God's doesn't love man more than woman, He just made both for their own purposes and role. Both roles serve God and both are certainly desireable to the believing couple

Ephesians 5:22-33
"Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless.

In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church- for we are members of his body.

"For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh." This is a profound mystery-but I am talking about Christ and the church. However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband."

Colossians 3:18,19
"Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them."

If you can be the man you're called to be, she will love you and enjoy her position and likewise. What man likes a wife who rebels against him constantly, lacking respect? Also what woman likes a husband who submitts to her all the time, being passive at every chance?
edit on 20-4-2011 by Artanis667 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Well if God is indeed sexist not really much you could do about it, I mean after all he is God. I suppose you could try to argue your point that he should have created everyone differently but I'm not sure if he'd change what he did just because it upsets you.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Artanis667

Why should wives have to submit to their husband? Only a sexist could have said such a thing.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I would like to add that until the Abrahamic religions came along women were equal to men no submission.
Thats why I say God is sexist.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizzylizzy
I have studied the Bible and the Koran for the status of women, nowhere can I find women being equal to a man.

Define equal, because I think that's where western society really gets confused.

Is the strongest idiot in the world equal to the weakest genius? Western society has defined equality as... well, 100% equal in every respect. Schools teach men and women are the same. This is intrinsically and biologically untrue. Men are physically stronger than women in general. Women are biologically stronger than men. Does that make genetics sexist?

As far as religion goes, Lizzy said (s)he'd (I'm assuming she
) not read anything to indicate equality. As such Dawg's question is a little unrealistic -- asking, "show me the evidence" to the statement, "I see no evidence...".

Instead, I would ask -- are men and women the same? In every respect? If not, in which respects are they different? How, in your experience, have men and women emotionally been different?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
no, god isn't sexists, but the men who created him were

but seriously, yea he is sexist, at least most gods are, but there's been plenty of female gods.

hes also a number of other things other that are immoral
edit on 20-4-2011 by vjr1113 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

reply to post by Artanis667

Why should wives have to submit to their husband? Only a sexist could have said such a thing.

Your error is to emphasize one side of the tension,,,
...it also says...

"In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself."

...and that is a big ask too.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Galatians 3:28
Vicky

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

I would like to add that until the Abrahamic religions came along women were equal to men no submission.
Thats why I say God is sexist.

Careful your historical ignorance is showing.

What a ridiculous statement.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32

Galatians 3:28
Vicky

Galatians 3:28 "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus."

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
This is the book of the genealogy of Adam. In the day that God created man, He made him in the likeness of God. He created them male and female, and blessed them and called them Mankind in the day they were created.-Genesis5

And so it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.
1 Corinthians 15

God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands. Nor is He worshiped with men’s hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath, and all things.-Acts17

Jesus said , “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I Am.”
edit on 20-4-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by troubleshooter

Prove me wrong, show me one text from the Bible or Koran or the Talmud where women are at least equal to men.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Show me one first from the biblical documents where they are not.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a quick google search
members.shaw.ca...

1 Timothy 2:9 - 15
9. In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.
11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

Genesis 3:16
16. Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire [shall be] to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

just a couple of examples, considering the bible is the word of god, but im sure ill get heat over that...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Theres nothing sexist about it.

Masculine means active, causitive, etheral, exterior...All forces identfied with an outside, potential energy, is described as masculine. Hence, the sky was seen as the father, and the Earth, the mother. The sky being above and beyond, the earth near and intimate.

These are spiritual patterns and dynamics inherent to reality. The bible is speaking mystically, when it calls Eve a helper of Adam. Even her name itself is of a grand significance. Chava (eve) means "life". She bestows life through birth, but she also builds and exalts life through submission to her husband.

All feminine energies are the exact opposite of those i listed above. Passive (the earth RECIEVES), an effect, material, inner. The femine needs to fulfill her role in order for creation be functioning harmoniously. She must recieve from the masculine, the male, just as she does through the sexual act, and just as she should do in the marriage.

This does not suggest anything misognystic. This is clearly in response to clearly defined divine realities, brought into the sphere of Human existence. A Woman should be honored by her husband and her children, and G-d forbid never abused, physically or verbally. But nonethless she has a role to fullfill for her children, her busband and for the family.

It is a sad thing that woman today look down on this incredibly spiritually meaningful purpose, to her family, and to G-d.

Submission to her husband is also a symbol of submission to G-d. Like i said, all creations are femine, therefore mankind on the whole relative to G-d is feminine, whereas G-d is depicted as masculine, although intrinsically he is beyond the concept of Sex, or of any defintion alltogether. We only utilize the spiritual language he created we call him father, even though in many ways he acts like a mother to us aswell.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

reply to post by troubleshooter

Prove me wrong, show me one text from the Bible or Koran or the Talmud where women are at least equal to men.

God created the human being in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.(Genesis 1.27)

Give my greetings to the brothers at Laodicea, and to Nympha and the church in her house. (Colossians 4:15)

There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. (Galatians 3:28)

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. (Ephesians 5:25-27)

Combo here:

Each of you must respect your mother and father, and you must observe my Sabbaths. I am the LORD your God (Leviticus 19:3); Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you. (exodus 20:12)

That the order is reversed in the Hebrew in two verses indicates that both are to be honored equally.

Proverbs 31 speaks of women buying and selling, which, in the time of the Abrahamic texts, was unheard of in pagan cultures. No pagan culture in the past permitted women to do more than the goddess did. The most well known pantheon, the Greeks, subjugated women to being hot (Aphrodite) and, when old, wise (Athena), but even Aristotle referred to women as "misbegotten men", and they rarely left their homes. In Judaism, women were prophets and they were able to buy and sell. They led armies. In Christianity, in addition to their Jewish roles, they were deacons of churches, heads of churches, to be honored and cherished, and to be seen as an illustration of the Church as it relates to Christ. Yes, the proper Church of God, every believer in Christ, has the honor of being represented by women.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join