It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Survivalist's best friend is a weed?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

Originally posted by HenryPatrick
dont let tptb know about these valuable plants, or this might happen...and that would be terrible...

Plantain would be impossible to control fortunately.
I love FZ btw, do you have a spare QJ37 nuclear-powered pansexual roto-plooker I can borrow?

yep, sure do, hope you speak German...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by iLoGiCViZiOnS

birch has a couple of good things going for it
zyletol which is an excelent sugar substitutue that isn't a$$partame
doesn't cause toothe decay and is safe for diabetics

it has asprin like properties....
the tea will expell intestinal worm
the essential oil is wintergreen like, and I expect is good in an ointment

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing. I've used Plantain before and find it very helpful. While I didn't favor it for use to cure an ear infection it may have soothed if anything. I've found it more useful on common scrapes and cuts as a topical. Sneak it into your salad with spinach leaves if you're feeling sick.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Broadleaf plantains taste mildly like coconut too, they taste great if you can ensure they are from a clean source, no lawn chemicals, wash thoroughly, toss into salad!

Other edible and usable common lawn weeds that come to mind are: dandelions, clover, and yellow woodsorel

Yellow woodsorel have a lemony taste I find! They have heart shaped leaves and small yellow flowers with 5 petals.
Pictures can be found:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthCollector

Here is a plany identification thread started by JacKatMtn and it is great! Post your unknown plant pics there, and pretty soon someone will be along to name it for you!

Can you identify this plant?

Good luck!
edit on 4/21/11 by jennybee35 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

EXCELLENT post. ...I grew up on this pant - it works just like you say it does.

S&F&

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Great post! I have these things all over my front yard and I didn't even know it.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/093f89d2892d.jpeg[/atsimg]

Yeah... you're jealous...

Admit it....

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
omg when i was a kid i was always gettin told off for eating the english one [i was one of those kids that didnt think to much about what i tasted] my mum used to go nutz i always told her i liked the taste. im going to show her this thread in the morning and then she can make me a cuppa as an apoligy for everytime she shouted at me

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
They grow all over my yard and are quite nice to eat. A nice rinse and toss in the salad with some Dandelion greens, you wont even know they are there about like spinach. Wasn't familiar with the medicinal uses I'll have to do some experimenting have enough ticks and wasps to test that no problem

Here's what they look like in my yard:

edit on 4/20/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

I have those same ones all over my yard. They have been burned, pulled, and poisoned. I had no idea they had any use

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Invariance

I agree 100%. Community oriented activity is going to be of vital importance in the future. That means we have to share our knowledge with the people who live near us. Each village needs an expert gardener, an animal doctor, a people doctor, a mechanic, a carpenter, a seamstress/seamster, a hunter, a musician, a dreamer, a brick maker, a bow maker, a blacksmith, a beekeeper, bla bla bla etc... Each expert sharing knowledge with the rest of the group is what will make life work.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by CCLLCCLL

Yep, you are right! And that's the way it should have been all along!!

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Aka. Skunk Cabbage. If you step on it, it smells like skunk. If you boil it, or eat it with bread. It's very good for you.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   

G'day guys. I am a newbie. I find that there are many weeds that have benefits. I have recently found some writing on asapargus and how it has cured people from some last stage cancers. There are a plethora of natural plants that can make us better in health...But unfortunately medical associations only offer synthetic medicines because they get a kick back from them. I suppose that goes to say with petrol companies and car manufacturers too. There have been many people whom have shown their water running motors but yet we still don't see them in a commercil capacity in vehicles.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
My father spent a decade living in a small Soviet establishment in Siberia. Now, I'm not sure which variety of the Broadleaf Plantain grows out there, but it is called Podoroshnik, which means "Along the road." From my father's experience in Siberia, he swears by three things: the Podoroshnik, Vodka, and Urine. I can assure you he could live off just that and outlive all of us.
Anyway, when we moved to New Joisey when I was a kidlet, he used to point it out to me when we were walking through the park, and collect it to later shove in my mouth or blend into some tonic mixed with vodka.

I find it pretty interesting that when you try to do a search on the Broadlead Plantain, it mostly takes you to websites on how to kill it because it's some "foul garden weed." Seems like anything that's good for you gets thrown under the bus for something more tasty or aesthetically pleasing.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
The following may help people find out more about this amazing abundant herb

www.herballegacy.com...

www.herballegacy.com...

You may also want to check out cayeene, lobelia, comfrey, mullein, hawthorn berries and many others.

Cheers.

RIP Dr John Christopher.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by sith9157

That's a shame if you look most of the weeds we "burn, pull and poison" have a use. It's really wrong to use poison to protect your grass Burn and pull all you want but leave the roundup alone

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Allantoin is definitely something to have on hand. It regenerates all kinds of tissue, even bone. In fact, the Comfrey plant is known as "knitbone" because if you make a tea from it and drink it, it will speed the healing of broken bones. I buy allantoin as a powder. I've seen the effects on healing in myself and others when it is placed on wounds. It is produced in a gland in the umbilical cords of all mammals "lower" than man or ape (the allantois gland), to make the fetus grow. I have also mixed allantoin with DMSO to carry it through the skin into the underlying tissue.
edit on 22-4-2011 by grizzle2 because: changed "animals" to "mammals"

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join