It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Religious Folks Stay ON Topic?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I am a very reasonable person and for me to go to the rant forum is not my thing (always), but I had to ask something that will upset some, but it just has to be asked. Why do religious people feel that they have to answer any or all topics with scripture, or religious topics?

Here is a small piece of what the forum Off Topic Faith, Religion, and Theology forum states.

The Faith, Religion, and Theology forum exists as a place for member to discuss three important items.

Faith - Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.
Religion - A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
Theology - The study of the nature of God and religious truth; rational inquiry into religious questions.

Venturing into this forum and participating in these discussions implies that you are interested in these topics. Of course you may have accidentally stumbled into this forum unaware, but now that you're read the above definitions, you can't claim ignorance. The very nature of the topics will plunge you headlong into the unknown. Who created us? Why are we here? What is out purpose in life? What happens after we die?

Now how does the above fit into almost all other forums, almost all the time? Is there ever any other answer? There is obviously entire forum in order to discuss these things, how can U.F.O's, Political, and even Survival threads have a way of having many posts with scriptures, or derailed into going into a religious topic?

I mean I dont want to be rude, when I start a thread and then someone comes in with a bible quote, but when it starts to veer off into a "whose has a more fitting scripture contest" I cant help to get angry. But if its not in the above forum, or in the conspiracies in religion forum, how else am I supposed to take it?

Anyway, thanks for listening to my rant.
Peace, NRE.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Of course they can...

IF the topic is their religion.

PS: I'm SO glad I grew out of my imaginary friend phase.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Scripture answers alot of questions, and for believers
it is useful. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, regardless if their reply includes scriptures.
I see no problem with it.

edit on 20-4-2011 by PoopDawg because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I think the correct answer is: No--why do you ask? I mean, after all, they HAVE all the answers. There's no reason for them to question anything anymore. Now, if only you'd accept their simple-minded certainty everything would be fine....

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Not considering what a religious person has to say sounds pretty simple minded to me.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I hate it when they do that but its probably because they have been brainwashed or drawn into religion so much that they can't live without looking for gods guidance.......kinda weak people if you ask me.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

It is against the very definition of the ramble to stay on topic.

Why, in my day...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
What's the problem if it applies to the OP or posts within a thread? If it makes sense and/or provides some insight, deal with it.

Originally posted by Viking9019
I hate it when they do that but its probably because they have been brainwashed or drawn into religion so much that they can't live without looking for gods guidance.......kinda weak people if you ask me.

Pot/kettle.
edit on 20/4/11 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Viking9019

Actually, people who stick to their faith, regardless of the countless people who bring them down daily sounds pretty strong to me.
People who insult someone because of their faith are weak.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

2 Timothy 3:16 
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness

This is the answer to your question.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by PoopDawg

2 Timothy 3:16 
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness

This is the answer to your question.

Pick up, NoRegretsEver. It's for you!!

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

We use scripture for arguments because 2 Timothy 3:16 says: "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness."

Hahahaha just kidding. I had to throw that in there though since that's probably how I would have responded before I grew a pair and excepted that that religion is the most evil invention in human history.
Crap! someone used that verse right as I was typing this in....
edit on 20-4-2011 by Q:1984A:1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   

I'm with you on this one.
With no disrespect to the religious people i have a question:

Don't you have an opinion of your own?

Not everything you don't understand is demonic and not everything is connected to your religion.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Did you hear the busy signal? Common sense rang right before this call came through. I have a mind of my own, and even if I had to be "required" to have a quote of scripture, there would be more then just that.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by PoopDawg

it is useful. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, regardless if their reply includes scriptures.
I see no problem with it.

I see no problem either.. unless there was something to merit the words and or scriptures.

it is useful.

I believe this is the common consensus to those that know only scripture. And does it not matter if someone is asking the question?

Peace, NRE.

top topics

join