It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Princeton's Antonio Calvo Kills Himself After Contract Dispute (by stabbing himself to death?)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Friends of Vibrant and Popular Spanish Lecturer Speculate Personal Vendetta Played a Role

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e8e80f1246c9.jpg[/atsimg]
Photo Reference www.princeton.edu

Antonio Calvo, a senior lecturer at Princeton University, stabbed himself to death April 12, and friends want to know why.

Beloved Princeton University Spanish teacher Antonio Calvo stabbed himself to death in his Manhattan home last week, leaving his friends and colleagues wondering why.

Antonio Calvo, a senior lecturer at Princeton University, stabbed himself to death April 12, and friends want to know why.
Calvo's death was ruled a suicide by the New York City Medical Examiner's office, which said his death had been caused by "multiple incised wounds of the neck and left upper extremities" of his arm.

The Ivy League university in Princeton, N.J., initially released a statement after Calvo's death, saying the 45-year-old senior lecturer in the department of Spanish and Portuguese languages and cultures had died, without providing details.

But colleagues say the administration had defied department recommendations and not renewed Calvo's contract in a decision that seemed mired in academic politics.

"We do not speak to rumors," said Princeton University spokesperson Cass Cliatt. "We continue to feel that it's not the university's place to make any statements that might be taken as some kind of official determination about the circumstances of Antonio's passing."

Cliatt also said, "As a policy the university does not speak to matters of personnel, which are not public."

Princeton has planned a campus memorial service that is not public, she said.

"[Calvo] was full of life, an incredible personality," said Marco Aponte, a close friend who was a lecturer at Princeton in 2007 to 2008 and was supervised by Calvo.

This week, Aponte started a Facebook group called "Justice for Antonio Calvo," which gained more than 200 followers in two hours. But he said he had to shut the page down when he got "hate mail," some from Princeton.

"He was probably the most popular teacher in that department and one of the most popular lecturers at Princeton," said Aponte, who now teaches international business at the University of Surrey in England. "All the students pretty much loved his classes, and he always got good grade evaluations. He was very devoted and worked morning to evening."

Aponte said Calvo had been at Princeton for 10 years and his five-year contract had been under the routine renewal process since last fall. As a senior lecturer, Calvo was in charge of graduate students who often groused about their working conditions.

"This is nothing unusual coming from graduate students," Aponte said. "For them, it's not a real job and they cancel more classes, which is unacceptable at Princeton, and they don't want classes at 9 in the morning."

Let me first start by saying I have no idea who this gentleman is other than the description the article gives. However, this whole story REEKS of conspiracy.

1) When friends and relatives of a suicide victim are all asking "Why???" --- Red Flag
2) When the death is ruled as a suicide due to self inflicted stab wounds --- Red Flag
3) When the article is suggesting the reason is from a "contract dispute" --- Red Flag

Three red flags is enough for me to label this as a potential conspiracy but this article is riddled with them. This is ATS, so I am putting this out there for our members to perhaps be motivated to do some investigation. Like I said, I know nothing of this gentleman other than what is in the article, but after reading it, I feel compelled to try and see if this all can be made sense of.

Any contributive input you'd like to add to this thread would be appreciated. I am sure if we happen to uncover anything we could perhaps at least maybe bring some closure to those that were close to him. ATS I hand this over to your great minds.

Full Article
edit on 4/20/2011 by UberL33t because: added photo reference

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
S+F

Good thread. alot of people are recently dying strange deaths, yet nobody ever looks into them properly.

Too busy ticketing people for jaywalking.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ChildoftheAnnunaki

Well if anyone is good at looking into "things" it is us

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
While reading the article I definitely got a "something doesn't seem right here" feeling. He stabed himself to death? That is an unusual one. I wouldn't think very often, but I'm sure it has happened before.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ucantcme

Yeah, I mean this guy was presumably pretty educated, you'd think he'd be able to coarse a better plan to off himself because his contract wasn't renewed. The tight-lippedness of the Princeton Elite doesn't sit well either. I mean if he was trying to get a point across, it seems to me that there would be much better ways he could have done so. Then again, people do some crazy things, none the less, it smells of fishes.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
A part of me thinks this article was written cryptically to show blatantly the real deal. However, I don't think just anyone would pick up on it per se. This article however and the lines in between so to speak, to people like us, stand out like a sore thumb imo.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Just one of many government Vince Fosters.....Seems they always kill themselves in strange undo-able ways....Like old Vince, laying down on a hill and the blood running out of him running up hill...Ye, right...He killed himself too....This government is really starting to piss me off now....Especially after just watching the Latest WACO Video, "WACO- A New Revelation - _2011. MOVIE"...Yup, your really starting to piss me off !!!!! Might as well move me up a couple of notches on your list....But remember, I have many of your names also.....

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Is it even possible to stab yourself multiple times until you are dead?

I would understand something like disembowelment or piercing the heart/lungs/major arteries a single time but wouldn't someone loose conciousness before being able to complete the job with multiple punctures?

But to his neck and arm? Are you sure he was trying to kill himself?
edit on 20/4/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

That's what I don't get, if this is truly the case, then I can't begin to imagine where the guy was in his head to go through with this. I mean, I prick myself with a needle dude and I feel pain, to stab myself until death ensues, completely unfathomable in my brain. I would think that most people would have the same regards to pain, much less purposely self-inflicted.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Giving this a bump in attempt to gather more opinions. This whole story just seems entirely too odd to me to be what it truly claims to be. There seemingly has to be more to this story, the pieces aren't fitting properly enough for me.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Does anyone here use Twitter?
And is it possible to look back through tweets to see if anyone has said anything regarding the incident?

I tried searching one of his lectures on YouTube, trying to get a feel for the man in question, but it came up with no searches.

I’ll keep looking Uber.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

Thank you my friend, I have been poking around too...looking at a few Princeton articles...but nothing really substantial stands out yet for me either. I wouldn't discount a clean-up effort may have already gone into effect though, which may or may not add credence to this.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
lol i have too many windows open ignore this post.
edit on 20/4/11 by Whateva69 because:
uber was posting from page 1 , while i was posting from page 2 DOH

but yeah something is fishy here.
edit on 20/4/11 by Whateva69 because: DOH
extra DIV

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Well if that's not proof that something is amiss here. Hmmm, Of all the threads I have ever authored on this site, I am for some reason overwhelmingly compelled to get this one the attention I feel it needs. Weird thing is, until I read this article, i had no idea this guy even existed.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Aponte said he'd spoken with another close friend -- Ana Belen Martin-Sevillano, a professor in Canada -- who said Calvo was "very distressed" just a week before his death but that "he was still going to fight it. He didn't think it was fair -- no gross misconduct was recorded. That's why we all believe somebody had a personal problem with him.

I think you were right to post that portion of the article. Hope you don't mind but I am re-posting it
That portion of the article speaks volumes imo. Borderline solidification if you will.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I agree that stabbing oneself to death with stab-wounds to the arms is very suspicious.

The article speaks of "politics". What were his politics, or are they referring to campus politics?

University campuses are murky places indeed, and there are always career clashes and personal politics behind the smiley facades.

Free speech at universities has been mired in Middle East politics recently.
One thinks of Norman Finkelstein who lost jobs because of exercising his free speech, and the embedding of right-wing characters like Kissinger and Cheney in Academics.
In SA it is almost the opposite, with at least one university cutting ties with Israel.
It appears that not since the late 60s have campuses been so politicized.

I've been at a literature department where two academics slammed each other verbally, and it was a wholly personal clash.
Under more extreme circumstances, I'm sure it could lead to murder.
There's money, dirty laundry and careers involved.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
ok ill repost it, even though i relized it was page 2 to your original post Uber.

abcnews.go.com...

At one point the situation seemed to shift, and one of the lecturers -- someone who was also married to "an important professor," said Aponte -- joined in protest with the graduate students. One of the major complaints was that "Antonio was from Spain and had a loud voice in meetings," Aponte said.

"We don't know why the university did it," Aponte said. "By Friday before his death, the decision was made -- the contract was not renewed and he was let go immediately."

The campus newspaper, The Daily Princetonian, reported that security officials had entered Calvo's office and demanded he return his keys, informing him of his dismissal.

Aponte said he'd spoken with another close friend -- Ana Belen Martin-Sevillano, a professor in Canada -- who said Calvo was "very distressed" just a week before his death but that "he was still going to fight it. He didn't think it was fair -- no gross misconduct was recorded. That's why we all believe somebody had a personal problem with him.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

There's money, dirty laundry and careers involved.

...and anytime those are in the equation, a conspiracy is primed for fruition.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

So important, saying it twice won't hurt

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
The morning comes early on the East Coast of the US.

I encourage members to investigate this as best they can throughout the day tomorrow. I will return to this thread in the evening. Thank you to everyone that has contributed thus far. I think we are on to something, and as i said before in so many words. If anyone can blow the lid off of this conspiracy it will be the members of ATS. If only to give closure to the gentleman's loved ones and friends. We are quite good at what we do.
edit on 4/20/2011 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join