It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Attack on Our Freedoms Has Started

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Just to make another point this a clear censorship attack.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
This thread's title is a misnomer.

Aside from that, it's not necessarily immoral to make money off of one's intellectual property or digital creations, but it is immoral to require someone to pay for something that isn't tangible. It is even more immoral to seek prosecution when people do not agree to pay. Digital files can be copied infinitely. It's ridiculous to assert that they can be seen as property, unless they weren't intended for a wide audience, like personal files.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

some of those anime shows are utterly stupid and are not worth the cash to pay for them

So why the interest in them?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
reply to post by SweetRevenge

Wheres that proof? you see after the actions taken by the manga publishers by making all those popular sites been closed the manga sales still did not improve.

So for your why the companies lost profits it was not because of free music, or free anime, rather we are facing a finical crisis still you should know that part atleast.

You cant blame the company losses on free viewing on streaming, downloading, MP3 etc...

but rather look at the record of your company finical records, companies would always love to blame someone else for there own mistakes for huge loss of profits, behaving like little children.

It inst childish almost 90% of the world people cant afford such anime series or TV series free viewing is also our right, didn't you know?

edit on 20-4-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

So you're unwilling to admit there may be a certain correlation between studios losing profits and having to close and the growing availability and simplicity of fansubs and dvd-rips? I think this goes deeper than it being due to financial mismanagement and current economic woes.
In fact, over the course of the year so far, I'm the only one of my friends who buys DVD's anymore. All my anime friends, and trust me I have a lot, I've been with so far just bootleg and stream what they want. So even when the two options are available, a good portion of people are going to look into only benefiting themselves. Are you honestly going to tell me this will have ZERO consequence for studios and publishers?

90% of the worlds population is a stretch, and thats a weak rallying cry. Anyway, if you would have read my post, I accept countries that never have the entertainment licensed having bootlegs and stream available, pending no one try to directly profit off of it. However, many countries DO have the access to licensed streaming and free videos online direct from the publisher but many fans ignore the legal channels and hop straight to other methods. Many people claim they can't afford the lower prices of boxsets, but most I know don't even try.

I'm pointing out trends I've seen and personal stories from over a decade of conventions and dealing with dealers, vendors, and actors in and outside of those venues. I've also noticed it more since I'm currently in process of securing the funds to become a vendor, e- and at conventions and I can essentially scratch DVD's off of my list of things to sell.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree though.

PS: Fun trivia; The english director of Inu Yasha used to be an adamant bootlegger in the 80's. So if you ever watched a crappy VHS of Zeta Gundam, thank him.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Planet teleX

because there are a few of the who are worth it and then why the interest in anything?

why do we spending our times reading the threads on here some are worthy and some are not

the only constant here is until you read or watch them you dont know if it will be good or stupid.

a motto i have lived by a long time it doesnt suck until you read it or watch it.

edit on 20-4-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Terrorist

But why should people bother publishing anything if they can have it distributed freely? Peoples labour goes into the creation of their work, tangible or not. Just because someone rips the episode or DVD and uploads it, it suddenly becomes something to freely distribute?
These people are putting themselves into their profession and providing entertainment for others, shouldn't they be entitled to some form of compensation for their actions?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

No-one has the luxury of "previewing" off-the-shelf either.

Would you pay for one you ended up liking?
edit on 20/4/2011 by Planet teleX because: to add

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Planet teleX

i do pay

i preview for free and then goto amazon and BUY what i liked

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Cool. I do the same, except with music (the radio stations around here are crap).

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SweetRevenge

But why should people bother publishing anything if they can have it distributed freely? Peoples labour goes into the creation of their work, tangible or not. Just because someone rips the episode or DVD and uploads it, it suddenly becomes something to freely distribute?
These people are putting themselves into their profession and providing entertainment for others, shouldn't they be entitled to some form of compensation for their actions?

Like I said (although I should have elaborated), it's not necessarily immoral to get compensation for an intangible product. This is the way it should be: it is free, but you can buy it as well but more as a donation. Intellectual "property" should not be treated as comparable to material property.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

I can see what your saying.
Personally, I think intellectual properties should be compensated, but the way it's done should be separate in some way from things such as physical property, I just have no idea how it could be done though. I don't think I would boil it down to being similar to a donation however. I feel that could make people hesitant to share their ideas and produce new things, because the labour for it won't potentially pay off.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SweetRevenge

A good field test is the music industry. What I described is essentially the status quo there, currently. People generally don't need to give money for music anymore. The majority of people don't pay because they have to, but because they want to contribute to the artist.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
It inst childish almost 90% of the world people cant afford such anime series or TV series free viewing is also our right, didn't you know?

You're actually arguing that theft of property is OK because people can't afford it? It's anime, not food! How many of them can afford food? Are you at all concerned about that? Sheesh, some people.

/TOA

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terrorist
This thread's title is a misnomer.

Aside from that, it's not necessarily immoral to make money off of one's intellectual property or digital creations, but it is immoral to require someone to pay for something that isn't tangible. It is even more immoral to seek prosecution when people do not agree to pay. Digital files can be copied infinitely. It's ridiculous to assert that they can be seen as property, unless they weren't intended for a wide audience, like personal files.

So, you go to another city. You rent a room at a hotel. You sleep, you wake up, you pay and you leave. By your own words it was immoral for the hotel to expect payment. You gave them money and then left without a "tangible" product. All you got was a night's sleep. What if you refused to pay and they sued you? Would that be immoral, too?

This is no different than the theft of anime, or music, or movies, or digital books or any other property. Someone worked to produce it. They spent their own time and money on it, and came up with a price they think is fair for the work they did. If they decide that they want to charge for it, then that's the end of it. If you take it without paying for it and without their consent, it is theft.

/TOA
edit on 21-4-2011 by The Old American because: grammar

top topics

<< 1   >>

join