It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am Going Linux, but which one?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Wow, there's my computer back! I found it in 'login settings' in one of the million goofy menu windows I used to have. It even still has some add ons I couldn't get to work with the new setup.

Can't thank you enough -made my day.
edit on 5/2/2011 by beezwaxes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Please let us know what you'd like to accomplish by using Linux. There are many different flavors for many different purposes.

Ubuntu and its derivitives try to ease the learning curve. I try to stear away Ubuntu and other Debian-based distributions due to the hand holding and not much learning going on, though that is my preference.

I suggest giving Arch Linux a try. It's fast, optimized for newer processors, very configurable, and it's fun using with such an excellent user base that doesn't put you down when you're trying to learn. The ArchWiki is an amazing place for step by step instructions on how to set up pretty much anything you'd want, too.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by axedcode
Please let us know what you'd like to accomplish by using Linux. There are many different flavors for many different purposes.

Ubuntu and its derivitives try to ease the learning curve. I try to stear away Ubuntu and other Debian-based distributions due to the hand holding and not much learning going on, though that is my preference.

I suggest giving Arch Linux a try. It's fast, optimized for newer processors, very configurable, and it's fun using with such an excellent user base that doesn't put you down when you're trying to learn. The ArchWiki is an amazing place for step by step instructions on how to set up pretty much anything you'd want, too.

Not sure who this is directed at, since there are a few of us.

But if you look back at some of the posts you will see what I chose and other did too. This is a dead post, look at dates.

As for what I would accomplish? Try, faster computer, free software that is truly free, I don't need to call Microsoft every time I want to reformat my computer. My computer is not loaded with a bunch of "Made by Microsoft spy-ware!"

Unless Microsoft impresses me or Linux pisses me off, My computer will never see another Microsoft OS.
edit on 6-5-2011 by Tygart because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Sorry, missed some pages. I've been using the penguin for 15 years and currently running my own distribution. I'm also a new member here, so I'll try to help in any areas I can.

I'd just like to say there ARE alternatives to Ubuntu (or Mint, etc) for new users, without all the bloat. Infact, instead of running a whole "desktop environment" like gnome, kde, xfce, etc;, you could use a "window manager" and not only have a much faster PC, but get things done faster by feeling more natural to use and not getting in the way. Just a thought. Also, Ubuntu (debian) compiles support for everything into everything, and has bigger binaries than most distros to begin with. I just cannot recommend it for speed, only if you are comparing to the speed of other OS's

edit on 6-5-2011 by axedcode because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by axedcode
Sorry, missed some pages. I've been using the penguin for 15 years and currently running my own distribution. I'm also a new member here, so I'll try to help in any areas I can.

I'd just like to say there ARE alternatives to Ubuntu (or Mint, etc) for new users, without all the bloat. Infact, instead of running a whole "desktop environment" like gnome, kde, xfce, etc;, you could use a "window manager" and not only have a much faster PC, but get things done faster by feeling more natural to use and not getting in the way. Just a thought. Also, Ubuntu (debian) compiles support for everything into everything, and has bigger binaries than most distros to begin with. I just cannot recommend it for speed, only if you are comparing to the speed of other OS's

edit on 6-5-2011 by axedcode because: (no reason given)

I will keep my KDE for my personal PC, it is to pretty to give up.

But I would like to set up a File Server, I don't need eye-candy for that, the file server I have now Is not much, I will most likely run 2 20GB hard drives (maybe one more if my power supply supports it), Barten Mobile 2600 I think I can get it up to 2.2Ghz Over-Clocked, 1GB RAM.

edit on 7-5-2011 by Tygart because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Just a quick minute to report my Zen Desktop installation failed on me, and I am back to PC Linux. Seems to be the only distro that runs good on my Nvidia South Bridge and Graphics motherboard. Installing those drivers can be a nightmare.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
Just a quick minute to report my Zen Desktop installation failed on me, and I am back to PC Linux. Seems to be the only distro that runs good on my Nvidia South Bridge and Graphics motherboard. Installing those drivers can be a nightmare.

What exactly failed? I am running Nvidia on my HP Pabilion dv6000, is that the same?

So far everything I have plugged in has worked!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join