It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri Politics - Governor's race

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I know that most of the topics on this board focus on national and international politics, so this is a bit of a stab in the dark...

I'm curious to know if there's anyone else from Missouri hanging around here that has been following the governor's race. It's an intriguing little affair as the sitting governor, Democrat Bob Holden, is being challenged by a member of his own party, State Auditor Claire McCaskill, for the Democratic nomination. The primary is next week, McCaskill's has closed in the polls, and the rhetoric is getting uglier every day.

I have several Republican friends who are really rooting for Holden because they feel he'd lose the main election in a landslide. By contrast, they're scared of McCaskill, who is an enthusiastic cutter of government waste. She also supports legislation that would divert first time non-violent drug offenders from prison, which would save the state lots of money plus start to dilute the immoral 'war on drugs'.

I swing Libertarian, but I really like what McCaskill's done to cut waste & make government work better, and her positions on the drug war are encouraging. Holden, by contrast, seems to be obsessed with raising taxes to solve the state's problems (*yawn*). I'm seriously considering voting for McCaskill in the primary and, hopefully, in the main show.

What I'd like to know is, are there any Democrats on this board who are supporting Holden and, if so, I'd like to understand why.

Sorry to bore the rest of you with state politics.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Im from the US. Domestic politics are of interest to me.
I am mostly Libertarian myself. I would out cheering and pushing to get McCaskill elected. She sounds like a wet dream candidate to me. (joke, well kinda) I think drugs should be legalized for of-age adults, and used to fuel the economy. And she cuts government waste too! I would put a sign up in my yard and be standing on the street corner waving at cars for her.

Political parties are just packaging, it's the product inside that matters.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by slank
She sounds like a wet dream candidate to me.

LMAO

She's not the perfect Libertarian candidate, but you'll find few in the major parties that even come close (Ron Paul comes to mind). But, a positive attitude and strong desire to make government work better is much better, IMHO, than the same junk in a different wrapper.

One of my friends, who works for National Federation of Independent Businesses (small business lobby) met Holden after he was first elected and was horrified by his attitude. He said to them (paraphrasing), "Why would you want to cut taxes? Someone has to pay for all these services!" The idea that cutting small business taxes would actually help the terrible employment situation in Missouri seemed to be beyond his grasp.

One Term Bob. Go Claire!

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Well, this thread got almost zero attention (guess we don't have many Missourians around at the moment), but for whatever it's worth...

Claire McCaskill won Tuesday night. By a 52% 45% margin, she clobbered One Term Bob. This is the first time a sitting governor in Missouri has been unseated in a primary.

Hopefully she can roll on to victory in November...

new topics

top topics

join