It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WW2 pilot log books

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
calling all WW2 buffs!

Hey everyone, my step grandfather was a WW2 RAF bomber pilot that flew the Lancaster. I have all his original log books, and a letter from the queen, his medals etc.. I know that the logs written in red are night missions. hes got a lot of those. don't know much else about it though.

anyways. is there anything you guys want me to look up in the log book?!?

or tips on how to read it. ie, what the other colors of ink n stuff means. there are a lot of military signatures in there as well.

im bringing this up because i'm interested in the log but its like looking at another language for me.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I skimmed through for any mentions of foo fighters but haven't seen any yet. I haven't read it all though. even still, i doubt they wrote that stuff down often..

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Dresden.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by felonius

any specific date? its chronological, bigger than the bible so it would be hard to just skim for it.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by OUNjahhryn

My Gramps was also a pilot in WW2 and flew Lancasters and also got a letter from the Queen and medals.

Any mention of a Captain F.A.Taylor in your logs? Maybe they flew together.

All his flying logs right back to his early flying days were donated to the RAF museum. I have his flying jacket and trousers from the early 60's somewhere.

He did a lot of reconnaisance and ended up as captain of the "Queens Flight" and finally doing crash investigation.

Where was your stepgrandfather based?
edit on 21/4/2011 by nerbot because: spellig

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

hey I didn't find mention of your grandfather. a lot of times though he wrote in just "self" and "crew". and a lot of signatures are not readable. his rank was F/LT his name was N.D. Fuller (Neil)

Like I said i don't know how to read this lol but I think these are where he was stationed.

(before these 5 there were 18 more units he was in. including flight school etc. from 1941)

april 1944- 12 o.t.u chipping warden
july 1944 3. l.f.s flatwell
may 1944- 1653. CU. chedburgh A. Flight
aug 1944 - 115 sq'dn Witchford
oct 1944- 195 sq'n Witchford

1945 march-on he was training people in silverstone on the wellington aircraft.

by that time he had 12 different types of aircraft under his belt.

he went on to fly commercial in canada/usa after war. died at 81 years of age.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by felonius

hey I didn't find any mention of Dresden sorry.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by OUNjahhryn

Glad of it

Gratuitous second line that immediately follows the first.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Would be cool to see some scanned pages

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
hey, i know a bit about this sort of stuff. been interested for the past 20 years... I can tell you about the medals as well. Scans would be good. If you have a medal with 'air crew europe' written on it that is an interesting one - awarded for ops over europe...

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by daringdave

My grandfather flew a few missions in b17's bombing "our own". He was also at normandy (I think after the heavy stuff). Eventually, he did make it back to the fatherland before he was shipped out. He was on the way to Japan when VJ day occured.

new topics

top topics

join