It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ethanol?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by here4awhile
reply to post by hawkiye

Are you a mechanic? I ask this because I highly doubt it. I've had too many friends I know who have a lot of mechanical experience attest that it WAS the ethanol mixture in the gas that caused it...hell a mechanic even came in here and posted that as well...and it's not just vehicles before 86 that have this problem...

You seem to think that you can just mix up to a 50%-80% ethanol solution with gas and not expect consequences...I can tell you right now that a mechanic would look at you like you were crazy and then ask you to bring the business to his shop once your car starts having problems...the only way that would be possible without wrecking havoc on your vehicle is if it was converted to ethanol...
edit on 21-6-2011 by here4awhile because: (no reason given)

I am a mechanic and have raced and tuned bikes and cars for ethanol etc. Like I said get educated or just keep repeating myths your choice.
edit on 21-6-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

you might be able to do so with drag cars because they are built for it...but other vehicles that are built to run on petrol is not the same thing...it's not a myth if this type of thing actually happens...

And it isn't cheap and I don't know what you consider cheap but I know I don't have an extra 1000 bucks sitting around to just throw into something like that

regardless what you say anyways I'll still be avoiding the ethanol mixed gas...the exxon stations here don't put ethanol in it and I'd rather just fill up on non ethanol in my truck simply because I don't seem to get as many start up issue's and abnormalities in my idle when I do, especially during the cold winters (they get very cold where i live)...might just be the truck itself but seeing as the non mix seems to do better i'll stick with what works for now

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by here4awhile

I have also seen 1986+ cited but it also depends on the make of the car.

Here's a page with a table that may come in handy:
Is my car ethanol safe?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by here4awhile
reply to post by hawkiye

you might be able to do so with drag cars because they are built for it...but other vehicles that are built to run on petrol is not the same thing...it's not a myth if this type of thing actually happens...

And it isn't cheap and I don't know what you consider cheap but I know I don't have an extra 1000 bucks sitting around to just throw into something like that

Ok prove it then show us your evidence How much have you spent? What is your experience with it? You don't have any do you you are just repating myths you heard from someone else are'nt you You have done no research have you, you have not first hand knowledge do you... Any modern car that has a computer it is just a matter programming or a module for the older ones. maybe 3-400 bucks or so at the most and in many cases much cheaper. Who ever is telling you 1000 does not know what they are talking about or trying to take advantage of people.

I'll never understand why people continue to argue on and on something they know nothing about and refuse to look at the facts that are readily available... Sigh!
edit on 21-6-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

thx for the link...I'm not really sure if mine is or isn't as it doesn't really have a specific make as it was one of the first trucks toyota really started doing if i remember right? could be wrong though...1992 toyota 4x4 pickup ext. cab, 5 speed transmission, 4 cylinder engine...pretty fun truck for sure but i'm not sure if it fits in that list at all

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

can't really provide proof when it's word of mouth to a person like you because in your mind I could be making all these imaginary mechanics and friends and customers up...

I havent spent anything because I avoid ethanol mixed gas and i'd like to keep it that way...i dont know how many times i've said that because i've had problems with them...plain and simple...I know you think your word is god regarding this subject but I'm entitled to the opinion that I hold regarding this because of my personal experience and yes, word of mouth from others who've said the same...you may not like it, but you don't have to reply if you don't want to...I'm not in control of your typing fingers

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by here4awhile

Well I would think that it would be better to keep the ethanol out of it if you can't confirm if it can take it. I don't think you need it in your tank anyways, it's just a feel good marketing scheme.

I think ethanol could be a good alternative to gasoline but not in the way it is being done now.
edit on 21-6-2011 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

pretty much my thoughts right there...I'd rather be safe than sorry to be honest...we could do better than what we're doing now for sure...but it's all about money as far as I can tell right now...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join