It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

May 21, 2011: Judgment Day Rumors Spread Across The US

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
link www.huffingtonpost.com...

well...i really dont believe that the world will end or judgment...or rapture in may 21....for sure will not!!!!

The bible said.. the day and the hour knows NO man.......

anyway... These rumors not only spreading in usa...now in canada and around the world

here is a website about may 21...check it out

www.may-212011.com...

--- May 21, 2011 will mark the second coming of Christ, or at least that's what some Christian groups believe.

The date was calculated by Harold Camping, the leader of an independent Christian ministry called Family Radio Worldwide, which is based in Oakland, Calif. Camping's date is based on his interpretation of the bible.

Camping's group isn't the only one following his apocalyptic prediction though. A number of loosely affiliated websites and radio broadcasts have created a movement independent of churches that have organized to proclaim the day as the end of the world.

Billboards, bus stop benches, and travelling caravans of RVs from Bridgeport, Conn. to Little Rock, Ark. are being used to spread the word, according to the AP. Allison Warden (pictured) has been helping to organize the campaign not only through billboards and post cards, but through the web, using her site We Can Know.

Camping, 89, says the bible acts as a calendar by which the dates of prophecies can be calculated. "Beyond the shadow of a doubt, May 21 will be the date of the Rapture and the day of judgment," he told the AP.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
On May 22nd I will be pissing the word FAIL on every church I see.

Well not really, but I will sitting on my couch watching tv.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
What's he going to do when May 21st comes and nothing happens?
Since he says "the bible guarantees it." I don't see how his ministry can survive being wrong.
Although I'm sure he'll find some way to spin it - they always do.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Dont these people understand that due to translations from language to language the Bible isn't exactly accurate? In order to get the most accurate Bible you first need to get the original copy in the original language of every book of the cannon. Just knowing that that is what needs to be done for the Bible to be accurate just tells me that these people are very stupid to believe in these "Bible codes and prophesies". It actually irritates me, it shouldn't but it does.
edit on 20-4-2011 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Happy birthday to me!

does that mean i'm the antichrist?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
Charles Schultz, creator of the Peanuts comic strip.
he heh
THE END OF THE WORLD HAS TO HAVE TWO DATES

there is one thing all the end of the world forecasters have in common
so far
all of them have been wrong

One problem can arise when futurists from a Christian or other monotheistic tradition anticipate the end of time and search through ancient information from a Pagan or Neopagan religion -- the Maya for example -- for a date on which to hang a prediction. This appears to have been responsible for the increasing concern over events predicted for the date 2012-DEC-21. That date marks the end of the Mayan calendar's current cycle and the beginning of the next. Dozens of authors have coupled that event with Jewish/Christian/Muslim apocalyptic concepts, and have predicted chaos and destruction on that date. Those predictions are generating increased stress and fear in the lives of tens of millions of people. They will probably cause some individuals to have an emotional breakdown and drive others to commit suicide. We predict that bookstores and online booksellers will have major sales of books in late 2012 about apolyptic events on 2012-DEC-21. They will want to unload their inventory because these books will suddenly lose their value on 2012-DEC-22.

As a word of comfort, we would point out that religious leaders, scientists, fiction writers, and others have made tens of thousands of predictions of apocalyptic scenarios that were supposed to have happened in our past. All have failed. We see no likelihood that predictions of such disasters in our future will occur, with two exceptions:

We predict that if people don't learn become religiously tolerant and learn to coexist with individuals and groups of different religions, then World War III is inevitable. It would be a religiously motivated war which tend to be much more vicious than ordinary wars because both or all sides would believe that they are carrying out the will of their God. If both or all sides possess nuclear weapons in sufficient numbers, billions could die.

Scientists estimate that the Earth has reached about half of its life span. They predict that in about 5 billion years, the Sun will become unstable, become a red giant, and enlarge to encompass the orbit of the earth. No life will survive.

www.religioustolerance.org...
edit on 20-4-2011 by Danbones because: quote

edit on 20-4-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
More kooky talk from the jesus freaks.

If everyone ignores the bible thumpers, hopefully they will go away.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Not exactly...

You might want to look into textual criticism a bit more as well as look into the documentary support for the books of the bible.

Then you might also want to consider how significantly you just called into question all ancient writings and histories, given the fact that they all have much less documentary support as well as a much wider timeframe between the events they are supposed to record and their oldest extant manuscripts.

Just a heads up, friend.

link   
When it fails to happen, even more will be turned away from the Gospel. Nothing more than deceptive disinformation. As you said, no one knows when any of this will occur; just that it will be "like a thief in the night."

link   
reply to post by CodyOutlaw

Ha! Churches have survived this long spitting out more irrational things than guaranteeing that Jesus will return on May 21st.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

They certainly always do, and somehow their churches thrive and tend to actually grow more fanatical in their devotion to such people.

Yeah, I know, I don't get it either.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

That's easy...

"Because of you, righteous ones, my brethren, has the most high God had mercy on the whole of the wicked, wicked world...." (now let's go out and convince everybody else) ch-ching!

Christians have been apocalyptic since they existed. yawn.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
To all of you blaming EVERY Christian and plan on laughing at every church you see..

Are you serious?

Not every Christian believes this crap. I'm a firm, strong, believer in God and I know without a shadow of a doubt, the rapture isn't going to occur on this day.. the Bible says no one knows the day or the hour.

Don't blame all Christians for this, there are loose nuts in every sect out there. You think people blame all Germans for what Hitler did?

Some do, and those people are retarded. Don't be retarded.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

But if no man knows the hour, then how do you know it WON'T happen on May 21st?

Just pissing around.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Perhaps this picture may summarize it all...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Who wants to have a beer with me on the 22nd? Soda for the younguns...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Harold Camping is a false prophet. He predicted the world would end in September 1994. The Bible says that if a prophet predicts some thing and it doesn't happen, don't listen to that prophet. I doubt any thing will happen.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius
reply to post by kimish

Not exactly...

You might want to look into textual criticism a bit more as well as look into the documentary support for the books of the bible.

Then you might also want to consider how significantly you just called into question all ancient writings and histories, given the fact that they all have much less documentary support as well as a much wider timeframe between the events they are supposed to record and their oldest extant manuscripts.

Just a heads up, friend.

Thank you for the heads up
. I didn't mean to come across so crass. I was just thinking about when the books were translated that some words were translated incorrectly or the words took on different meanings after time. For example, correct me if I'm wrong (i am quite often
) but in "biblical" times a virgin was an unwed pregnant woman. Now do what you want with that.
I do appreciate you not flaming me though

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by alonzo730
Harold Camping is a false prophet. He predicted the world would end in September 1994. The Bible says that if a prophet predicts some thing and it doesn't happen, don't listen to that prophet. I doubt any thing will happen.
did Confucius the Chinese philosopher say that??

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Yeah, Camping is a tosser, and really needs to just STFU. The sad thing is, when nothing happens he will pick another magical date for the world to end. The guy obviously cannot interprete the bible, and must be a sh!tty religious leader aswell.

Maybe it's the end of the world for him, nothing more.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join