It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Cops Be Allowed to Scan Your Phone During a Traffic Stop?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by HabaneroPepper

The ACLU will pay attention -- that's why I send them money.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I do think it's notable that the ACLU is on top of this. It's important to appreciate their vigilance. They're always (or usually, if they can help it) there when rights are being challenged. It was pleasant to see that acronym in the snippet of the OP's article.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

According to THINQ.co.uk, Skype has updated its Android app to address a vulnerability that would have allowed malicious third-party apps to access the user's name and email address, contacts and chat logs. The new version of the Skype app v1.0.0.983 is available in the Android Market now. The app changes the permissions of the databases that hold this information.

www.itbusinessedge.com...

...so you all are concerned about the iphone here. In shot, consumers are relying on services to ensure its privacy. Rule No 1, never assume anything.

Use your brain dont abuse it

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
New analysis shows that not only is the data collected and stored on the phone, but it is transmitted back to Apple (and Google in the case of android) along with a unique identifier. In other words, they are literally tracking you. They admit they are storing it in a database to collect data on where you go.

online.wsj.com...

So I guess they don't need the traffic stop at all to spy on you. They can just subpeona google or apple for your location history without you even knowing it.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Of course, if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about. The only people who refuse are the overly-patriotic who hide behind their constitution every chance they get or people who actually have something to hide.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Why not just to abandon that "smart" tracking devices?
PEOPLE?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MushroomWig
Of course, if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about. The only people who refuse are the overly-patriotic who hide behind their constitution every chance they get or people who actually have something to hide.

Overly patriotic to stand up for your rights? We have the right to not be searched and harassed by the police unless there is probable cause. Being pulled over for a traffic violation does not give them the right to check the contents of anyones property regardless of having something to hide or not.

We have these rights for a reason. Giving the police these powers can and will be abused. They work for the public, not the other way around. Your response is pathetic and you really have no idea what the constitution or being American is all about. You and the nanny/police state deserve each other.

edit on 4/22/2011 by Erasurehead because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Why do idiot americans insist on using cell phones, esp when driving.? I've never used a cell in my life. Ameicans have been brainwashed into thinking they simply have to have a cell.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terrorist
I do think it's notable that the ACLU is on top of this. It's important to appreciate their vigilance. They're always (or usually, if they can help it) there when rights are being challenged. It was pleasant to see that acronym in the snippet of the OP's article.

ACLU is not to be trusted. They are funded by corporate america. That's proven by their support of "illegal rights".

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Boy am I glad my stubborn refusal to own a smart phone has never wavered. With news like this and the revelation that smart phones are gps logging your every movement I feel vindicated in my stubbornness. I own the cheapest pile of junk cell phone off the shelf and it works just fine to make calls. They will not track my movements. I wont even use my credit card unless there is absolutely no choice for the same reasons.

I cherish my privacy and will make it as hard as possible for TPTB and their corporate cronies to track and profile me.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
So last night outside my aparment there was a domestic disturbance between a couple probly around my age or a little older (im 28 and i am horrible at guessing age) things got crazy and me and my room mate noticed he got physical and hit her. #ed up i know but not the point of my post.we called to the cops so we could do something other than litteraly go down and stop him my self....im not the most rough and tough guy and my room mate had called the cops and told me to stay the eff inside hahah. anyways the cops come long story short they bagged him on i dont know what but i was watching them from a window and they def took his i-phone out of his jacket and one cop took the phone and split then they put him in another car and split soon after. so dose that mean they took all his info off his i-phone? can they do this to ANY phone. i mean the guy beat up his girl right in front of me while i was walking the dog. the most #ed up thing i have seen in my life then i see some 1984 # and my life is even better! i love this brave new world we live in
edit on 24-4-2011 by Upthepunx because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
this is sick the police state is coming soon please be prepared yes i'm suggesting baring arms

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Blazer

It shows how far our freedoms and our understanding of our freedoms have eroded that we are even discussing this. Of course they should not be able to search the phone. It is a clear violation of the 4th amendment.

If I'm coming back from my post office box with a pile of mail and a cop pulled me over, would it be cool for him to open up all of my mail and make a photo copy of it? There is absolutely no difference. Everyone, including the cops know there is no difference.

Just one more thing to do when you get pulled over. Roll your window down a couple of inches (or put it up a bit), turn off the radio, put your hands on the steering wheel, turn your phone off. Next it will be to be humming the national anthem as the officer approaches your car.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MushroomWig

This is a great example of the verbiage used by LEOs for illegally searching without a warrant. If the LEOs are so sure about the reason for the search, then they shouldn't mind waking up a judge to get proper documentation - as required by the laws they are apparently enforcing. Unless you are saying that LEOs are welcome to go through your stuff anytime - day or night - without any probable cause? They are welcome to detain you in your daily activities for no reason at all, and to arrest you should you question them on it? This IS happening. That people are standing up to it is quite laudable. Your assumption is that everyone should dispense with the rules just because someone in a uniform says so. As LEOs they are subject to the same laws and logic. It is those who wish to do the searching that have to prove that it is necessary, lawful, and warranted, not the other way around.

A search of private property requires a warrant, and probable cause. If neither is evident, then a search is unlawful.
edit on 24-4-2011 by Badgered1 because: Spelling.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Just wait... a smart programmer is going to develop a free app...

Unauthorized download...

Causes a virus or multiple viruses to be downloaded to the device that is taking the information...

"Hey whats wrong with this machine?"

"I do not know officer whats wrong?"

edit on 24-4-2011 by ripcontrol because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ripcontrol
Just wait... a smart programmer is going to develop a free app...

Unauthorized download...

Causes a virus or multiple viruses to be downloaded to the device that is taking the information...

"Hey whats wrong with this machine?"

"I do not know officer whats wrong?"

edit on 24-4-2011 by ripcontrol because: (no reason given)

Your about 7 months late..its already out there...simply wait for it...ooops this isn't rats.
edit on 28-4-2011 by tristar because: You=Your

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Blazer

My answer is NO>>>>>>>
Your correct in most states any cop with suspicion can get any judge to sign a warrent to have yahoo, google etc, especially photo sharing sights to turn over all information on the person they are seeking info on.
In this country as with others any company who has to operate with a permit has already sighed your rights away anyhow so they can do business.With the exception of major newspapers and persons who fight for freedon of speech or the press.
Another thing is read the fine print on the agreements you have to say yes to, to get into a sight or to buy any product or service.
Most companies do not fight a warrant because it implicates them in the alledged crime, just in case the cops find something incriminating.
Becareful and yes never use any real personal info or fall for the we need your phone number to make sure you are really you, like Google does if they detect funny activity on your e-mail.
Read read read and pray no boby steals your identity.
Pre paid cell phones are not that good either if you ran out of minutes before you got them renewed.
They ask your name and address before they will reconnect you.
Most of what i have said has came from personal expieriance and jail time for alledged crsap because I'm an activist..

edit on 28-4-2011 by rbrtj because: need

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

cant find the flag for your post is deserves three or four

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
What no flag!!!! AHH GEE wizzz

Thanks for the oppurtunity to share.
Here's one last thing.
Possession is 9/10th of the law.
Just make damn sure what they find that is illegal on some sight or other persons machine linked to yours via a contact list etc is not on your machine or any device that that will hold data.
Trust me everything you can think of is in the search warrant.
If they cannot find it after a reasonable search with a warrant than you got a defence.

If anyone asks, I'm not around ......

edit on 28-4-2011 by rbrtj because: deleted some crap.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ripcontrol
reply to post by tristar

cant find the flag for your post is deserves three or four

The thread isn't posted within ats or rats. Its actually a free flow app that is continually transferred. It requires several hundred or thousands ( purposely deflecting ) of machines for the app to be compiled as its transferred in segments as to avoid detection by the so called evil's ....lol. I am not endorsing the obvious, but to avoid and capture what one wants you need to think beyond the normal application and academic acceptance of how things go bump in the night. Its a digital age algorithms being the primer, its when that is merged with human innovation is when the reality of cyberwar comes into play.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join