It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NJ woman chides NYC smoker, gets stabbed with pen (smoking verses non smoking)

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by dubiousone

Originally posted by Unit541

However, if you bum a ride from me, then complain when I light up, I'll be testing my new Knight Rider ejection seat. Come to a backyard barbecue at my place, and ask me, nicely or not, to not smoke, and you'll be shown the exit with a puff of smoke and a middle finger.

A car is closed space. Your passenger cannot safely get out until it has stopped moving.

How about politely letting your passenger know it has been 20 miniutes since your last cigarette, the lung cramps are coming on, you're feeling light-headed, vision is getting blurred, the only cure is another smoke, and you'd rather have that cigarette than crash your car for not lighting up in time! That way, they can make an informed choice between staying in your car while you smoke and asking you to pull over so they can get out before all hell breaks loose in there.

Excuse me... but who the %$#@ do you think you are, telling me what I can, cannot, should, or should not do in my vehicle? While I enjoyed the sarcasm in your post, the intent is not appreciated. I don't need to politely or impolitely inform my passenger of anything, except for whether or not I'm willing to play taxi driver.

And my home/backyard is definitely not another matter, my vehicle is an extension of my home. This is how the law views it, and it's how I view it.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
reply to post by Exuberant1

All argument aside, both the woman and the smoking guy

He wasn't smoking.

That's the thing. She attacked him because she thought he might start smoking on the train - actually attacked him!

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I love when people get upity about their not smoking.......

Just this friday i was in a bar down town, where its smoking, and its known that that side of the street you can smoke inside the bars.......

Im standing at the end of the bar smoking, when this lil beautiful, but pretentious twit of a woman comes and sits down right next to me, and then proceeds to wave her hand infront of her face and give me a dirty look and say "Could you NOT smoke right in front of me, I cant breathe, thats a HORRIBLE habit"

My response was quite curt and to the point.........

If you dont like smoke, dont go to places where people do it and then proceed to tell them their business.......

its just another symptom of the "ME" mentality this nation has taken on.......

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Yea, but you know he probably would have if it wasn't for all the ruckus caused. Unless he was just pretending to light up in protest, that in itself is kind of wrong. I wasn't there so I don't know what really happened, but from reading the story it seems like both of them were acting pretty silly.

What is sad is that the guy will serve his time in jail (I'm assuming?) and the woman will probably go on to sue him and continue thinking she can walk around bullying anyone she wants because she is believing that it is socially acceptable for her to verbally harass random people, not only that, she can profit from it. Like I was talking about pages back before all the stupidity, spiteful people tend to make the next big fad or anti-whatever(1) protest their personal crusade. I'm guessing these people don't have enough conflict in their lives so they have to create it themselves, we all probably know someone like this.

(1) Insert next insignificant 'problem' in the world/country here, examples include: Boy wearing pink nail polish in ad, President getting oral sex, Bed bugs, Playing tag is dangerous, Homosexuals, So and so famous non-expert persons opinion on whatever and yes including smoking and drinking. The only thing this stuff does is blind us to real problems that need to be solved.
edit on 25-4-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Sorry I couldn't think of any more reasons for you. It is beyond me.

If you are right, and it is not a lack of intelligence that is the issue. Then you will have no problem telling us the critical thinking processes and logical reasons behind your choice to smoke. And why you continue to smoke.

Why did you start. Where you just following someone else because you thought it was cool. I am being completely serious. What made you light up the very first time.

Please note: I am not anti-drug or anti experience. Or even anti doing stupid things. I could write a book on the dumb things I have done. But I do analyze my own behavior and modify it according to my intelligence as I get older.

As a result I do not suffer fools who fail to do this themselves.

I did not write the defintion of stupidity...

" doing the same thing over and over again. Even though you know it is dumb"

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadtruth
I did not write the defintion of stupidity...

" doing the same thing over and over again. Even though you know it is dumb"

Does that include trolling?

Your like some blind internet robot preaching the same thing over and over again, not understanding that the some of the people your calling stupid are smarter than you.
edit on 26-4-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Mind your own fn busnienss, lady!

Sucks that some jerk had to assault her physically though.
He could have just used words to put her in her place. lol

But still...

Who the f are you? to say i can't smoke?

yeah... mind your own effing business..

lesson learned? I hope.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ahmose

Sucks that some jerk had to assault her physically though.
He could have just used words to put her in her place.

She wasn't assaulted, she was defended against - there is a huge difference.

She attacked him, words alone did not stop her. It took a pen in the face to stop her vicious violent attack against an innocent person who wasn't smoking.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
You call it trolling.

I call it fighting and denying ignorance. Until we beat it

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

There's a certain inevitability to where this thread is going, so I might as well ask... Why do you believe that you have the ''right'' to emit potentially harmful chemicals on unsuspecting and non-consenting members of the public ? Why does your self-proclaimed ''right'' to indulge in this activity trump the ''right'' for people to walk about without needlessly being subjected to harmful toxins ?

This 'right' does not trump your right - but if you drive a car, burn your rubbish, use a fireplace in winter, buy processed foods or do many other things, then you too are polluting my environment, just like a smoker.
We all produce waste into the atmosphere. Each and every one of us.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by thedeadtruth

So your denying ignorance by calling people you don't know stupid? Isn't that kind of ignorant in itself, do you honestly believe that all people that smoke are less intelligent than those that don't?

Stupidity is a lack of intelligence, understanding, reason, wit, or sense.

The consumption of tobacco is of even more recent historical origin than the consumption of alcohol, so the Hypothesis would predict that more intelligent individuals are more likely to smoke tobacco than less intelligent individuals.

The Hypothesis is confirmed with data from the United States

psychologytoday.com

That's interesting isn't it, maybe I should go start a thread about how non-smokers are stupid. Perhaps these people are smart enough to realize that there are more important things to "deny ignorance" about.
edit on 26-4-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

I get to call someone, anyone stupid if they do something stupid. Over and over again. That is my "right". Why ,because I practice what I preach.

And when they deny they are not stupid, but cant answer the most basic questions surrounding their so called logical choice to smoke. It only backs up my opinion. They do not give me any other option other than have a low intellectual opinion of them.

I am certainly not going to tell them they are "smart".

Note: The world is not made a better place by ignoring problems. But facing them head on, regardless of it hurting someones ego or feelings.

Molly codling them is a mistake. They need to harden up and have the guts to admit an error.

edit on 11/19/09 by thedeadtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I smoke - but I didnt start until my mid 30's so I remember when I didn't smoke. I hated sitting next to someone in a restaurant and tasting their smoke in my food. So I try to be a considerate smoker and stand away from other people when I do it in public.

But one day after work I was waiting at a bus stop - all by myself - smoking.....and a man approached me from out of nowhere and started screaming at me about smoking....I actually thought for a moment he was going to hit me. I screamed back at him to leave me alone...which thankfully he did and he walked away.

I think there should be consideration on both sides. I also dont think its very smart to approach people that you dont know and confront them about anything - especially in NYC. I'm not saying the lady in the article deserved to be stabbed - she didn't - but for safety sake, leave people alone and mind your own business.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

I think maybe for the amount of motivation you have, you are choosing the wrong problems. You have the capability to change this world for the better with your influence, don't waste it on something nobody is going to listen to. Be honest.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

Not hard to find out my real identity. Few clues in my postings.
www.vibration-training-advice.com...

I work hard every day to help those who find it hard to help themselves with obesity and do not charge people with any life threatening condition.

But I managed to do that by NOT listening or taking seriously their or the medical industries excuses.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by onehuman
I am sure many of the smokers have run across that person that makes it obvious they don't like your smoking even in a place you can by waving their hands in front of their nose or the little cough cough thing. That is pretty annoying too.

HAHA. Yes, very annoying. I'd like to see those overdramatic people do the same thing while standing by a busy parking lot, or while in traffic or while living under the flight pattern of a major airport. All of these scenarios release way more toxins into the air they are breathing than my single cigarette.

Yet, here I am: the evil cancer-spreading monster who wants to give little children asthma and SIDS or whatever else you get from second-hand smoke.

People take it over the top. The repulsion is a learned reaction, like a person who had way too much tequila that one time and now starts dry heaving when he sees a Jose Cuervo bottle... The cigarette on its own does nothing, it's the cumulative aspect. When they talk about second hand smoke, they mean enclosed, unventilated environments. And you won't just get asthma from a passer-by. You have to have regular exposure. It's not an STD people.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Well, that's cool you are trying to help people, and some people here in the US could be a bit healthier. But if you seriously want to convince a smoker to stop smoking because you care about their fitness and health, calling them stupid is probably not going to be effective. Are you a self-hate, reverse psychology fitness guru?

Sorry for getting on your case, I just don't like hearing people call others stupid. I guess pretty much everything to talk about a spiteful old lady and a guy smoking a cigarette on a train has been talked about.
edit on 28-4-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join