It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

70% of Tea Partiers oppose cut to Medicare and Medicaid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Me thinks Tea Partiers should change their political affiliation.... since there's no way in hell to finance Medicare and Medicaid with no deficit.

Poll: 70% Of Tea Partiers Oppose Cuts To Medicare, Medicaid

Tea Partiers may say the government is too damn big, but when it comes to at least two federal entitlement programs, they sing a wholly different tune.

In a McClatchy-Marist poll released this week, 70% of registered voters who identify with the Tea Party opposed making cuts to either Medicare or Medicaid -- the government-run health programs for the elderly and the poor -- to help reduce the nation's deficit. Meanwhile, only 28% of tea partiers said they'd be willing to cut spending on those two programs.

Tea partiers were not alone in opposing Medicare and Medicaid cuts. An overwhelming 80% of all respondents said they opposed such cuts, with a majority of every demographic measured in the survey lining up against them.

Ninety-two percent of Democrats opposed cutting Medicare and Medicaid, as did 73% of Republicans, and 75% of independents.

Everyone is against cuts, but everyone is against the deficit... Someone will have to face reality at one point...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
80% of statistics are made up on the spot.

No tea party member to whom I have spoken holds this opinion.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

agreed they should something has got to give.

alot of people on this site are going around claiming that all those programs are fully funded for the next 30 years and if IF that is indeed the case the cuts are called for.

however if they are not then someone is lying i call that a win win in my book because the truth will finally reveal itself.

cuts across the board have to made if this country will survive and they HAVE to make that call sacrifice or not to

keep the party going as it is or the death of america those are the only two choices.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
We're constantly fed the line that these tea partiers are nothing but elderly rich bigoted people.

If we believe that then surely 70% of the rich elderly bigots wouldnt want to lose what theyve got coming their way, right?

If we're going to be consistent with assumptions and media poll stats anyway.

No more solid a science is there.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I'll agree with sonofliberty1776, at least partially.

Polling & statistics (Penn & Teller had a good Bulls##t! episode on this) can be very misleading and easily manipulated to get pretty much whatever result you want. It's more or less all about how you ask the questions and how you determine your sample audience.

There might also be a cognitive dissonance effect coming into play here - do we know if this was an anonymous poll, or did they have to ID themselves? People have a bad habit of not wanting to look like the bad guy wanting to take something away from someone else if their identity is known.

Too many variables here. Might be true, good chance it's not. Regardless, whatever the Tea party may or may not think, cuts have to be made, spending has to be reigned in, and those unfunded liabilties will help nail down this republic's coffin without some fundamental and significant changes - that I'm not sure will even realistically do much at this point since we're so far in.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
The polls are questionable at best. The fact remains that there will have to be a complete over haul and reduction in spending across the board.

* Military spending needs to be cut
* pentagon spending
* unconstitutional social welfare programs
* medicare and medicaid
* entitlement programs
* planned parenting
* Federal reserve nonsense
* any other worthless program put here
* and another

You get the point. A complete reform, and implemented budget of federal spending. We the tax payer have every right to know where our tax dollars are being spent.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
The real tea party would rather see a cut to the Federal Reserve and the debt slavery the USA is under than a cut to people that actually need aid.

It's the republican establishment that would rather provide welfare to the bankers than to people who are helpless and actually need it.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
there seems to be a disconnect between what most tea party advocates actually believe and what their candidates in the senate and house really espouse. most of the tea party affiliated folks i've talked to, actually are in favor of taxing a higher bracket for those that earn over 500k. of course most of these folk don't earn even close to that. the leadership pushes a certain anti-liberal/anti-democrat bias, but side step the actual issue of the higher tax rate for 500k earners. the general rhetoric of the tea party is one thing. and tea party leadership's tendency to protect higher income earners and decrease their actual tax bracket, is another thing entirely.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Vikus

Ageed. In theory this is what it should be about but........
The smoke and mirrors bs on both sides is just ridiculous.
I want my infrastructure maintained too a certain level and want foreign competitors too have too play by fair rules but the Right does not even consider such.
Thats the real clincher bring back real jobs and make it a level world stage so the US buisiness tycoon doesnt get a benefit from sending jobs and money overseas yet sees a benefit for at home spending.
I know Im a............"insert insult here"

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vikus
The real tea party would rather see a cut to the Federal Reserve and the debt slavery the USA is under than a cut to people that actually need aid.

It's the republican establishment that would rather provide welfare to the bankers than to people who are helpless and actually need it.

Indeed, the true tea party movement is still today a grass roots group, wanting smaller govt, and rights and liberties embraced.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
You really want to know where we should make cuts? Try our leaders pay checks, I bet you wed be putting back plenty of money each year if they made what the average American did yearly. It's bad enough they have cost us jobs and left us in shambles but to take things like medicaid away is wrong. My children use it only for there checkups and actual sicknesses nothing more. We cant afford the ridiculous $100 fee just to see the doctor on top of the tests and medicines they issue. And before you say I need to live in my means I have kept my family afloat on less than $1000 a month for 4 years and we own our home and vehicle. Our only outstanding bills are medical.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by BinarySamurai
You really want to know where we should make cuts? Try our leaders pay checks, I bet you wed be putting back plenty of money each year if they made what the average American did yearly.

Even if this was done it would hardly put an improvement in any situation.

In fact is just leaves a new ploy totally open. I can see it now...

A politician can come in a say he will work for "free" or take a huge pay-cut to save the taxpayer money but then after his term he will be paid millions as a lobbyist for GE or Goldman Sachs.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
While I do not consider myself a "member" of any political party, I certainly relate with, and tend to vote for Tea Party-type candidates.

With that disclaimer out of the way, I will say that Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and a myriad of other programs should have never been created.

However, the unfortunate fact is that they were created.

Every American that has ever held a job has paid money into those failed programs, and I don't see how we can morally tell people that they will now receive no benefits from years of mandatory "contributions".

I am 38 years old and have had a job since I was 12, yet I have no reason to believe that I will see any of my $$$'s in the future.

What we need to do is phase these programs out in a way that doesn't screw people who have contributed, yet encourages/allows for younger workers to begin to plan for their own future needs.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
our improvished gov't just, I guess, borrowed a few billion, so they could lend it to columbia, so they could have an oil refinery.....
this is as they operate ABOVE the debt ceiling, while neglecting to increase it!!!

I'm sorry, but, they aren't acting like there's a crisis, on the contrary, they are acting like it's monopoly money!! which, if they keep on, it ain't gonna matter what we do with medicare or medicaid, or anything else!!! the monopoly money is gonna be worth more than our dollars!!

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by BinarySamurai

I have to disagree here. Their actual pay isn't that significant. Now, if we cut into what perks they get from lobbyists and special interest groups, you're doing a little better.

Best, though, would be to shutter the Federal Reserve and move away from debt-based money (you know we get all of our money from them, at interest? Yeah). Then stop screwing around everywhere in the world - we spend a $ trillion+ every year (probably quite a lot more than that, figuring in black ops and other off-budget programs).

Then stop wasting money on the drug war - drugs won, apparently, and made a lot of criminals wealthy and more dangerous & widely-present than before. Treat them correctly and we can actually work on LESSENING the actual bad impacts of drug use through education and prevention, as well as save a lot of dollars currently being wasted in the DOJ.

Then close down all the federal agencies that do inefficiently what can be better handled at the state level - with state funding.

These are just a FEW common-sense options, but would save much more significant amounts of cash.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

"Tea Party" being hi-jacked by the Republican Party is certainly going to support Medicaid, Medicare and above all, Social Security. This is because Republicans are generally Fascist, and those three programs are the height of Fascism .. their only gripe is there isn't enough "private" control -- by private, I mean Corporate managed..

The Libertarian aspect of the Tea Party has been drowned out long ago.

new topics

top topics

join