It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New Ways To Promote Abstinence. WWYMD?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Ok, so I thought this way quite fascinating, and was wondering if this is how we are currently deciding to make teens second think having premarital sex. The website is WWYMD, which stands for "What Would Your Mother Do". There is underwear that is sold that have slogans on them like;

"Zip It", "Dream On", "Not Tonight", "Make Wise Choices" etc,.

The catalog alone has young women dressed in these underwear, that may I say, is quite revealing. Now how in the heck is this supposed to get teens not to have sex? In order for a guy to see it, she has to be in her underwear anyway. What would stop a guy from saying, "I dont believe you let me see that it says that"?

Personally I think this has as much of a chance for it to actually prevent teens from having sex, as having underway that has the days of the week on them, are we actually going to feel better about what choices are kids are making based on their underwear slogans.

Have parents decided that in order for them to "sleep on the job", as long as they buy the underwear they can rest easy? IMHO, this is just another way out, and a fancy way for companies to target parents that have a real fear that their kids will actually live by the code of the underwear slogan.

I would like others opinions on this.
Here are some of the testimonials from the site.

"What a great idea, I want my girls to keep me in mind, when they go off to college"

"Hello Everyone!

I have my WWYMD panties on and I drink from my waterbottle from the line as well. The shape of the water bottle is elegant, curvy, and sexy. Well, as elegant, curvy, and sexy as a water bottle can be. I love the undies the best though! They hug the curves in all the right spots. "

Now the first one was from a parent, and the second from a teen. Im not sure but this is confusing to say the least.
www.wwymd.com...

Peace, NRE.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Life it just gets weirder all the time, what can i say...
WOW, just WOW... (world of weird)
thanks for this link

edit on 20-4-2011 by sprocket2cog because: spelling

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

We don't all have wonderful mothers and well if my mother abstained I wouldn't be here. Guess i gotta give her that.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
girls wil just think the slogans are "cute" and will want to show them off more...the only way to obtain abstinence is to take your kids to talk with people that have STDs and haave them watch babies being born in real life..that should put the scare in them a little...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I looked at their shop, and the undergarments aren't that revealing. I feel this is just a gimmick to get money out of people. If anything, the text would just be "playing hard to get" which doesn't exactly turn people off.
Actually, it'd make most men want it more; I'd call it cute, not Hello Kitty cute, but cute.

All in all, it's bull# and a waste of money. They also use that acronym (which doesn't even make any sense to me) because youths today are obsessed with acronyms and shortened forms of words (OMG, BFF, ur, etc.).
edit on 20/4/11 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Sounds like just another way to foster seeds of resentment, guilt and mistrust to me. How very surprising...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I had sons..

i gave them the same advise MY mother gave to me..

Quote in my best mother's voice.." are you having sex?,,, with girls?" (laughing to myself) "yes mom!!"
"Well do you use a Condom??)
"Yes mom" (wondering WHERE this was going)

"well i was watching Opera, and they said that condoms break-,,-,, and i think YOU should wear TWO condoms,, just in-case..."

(Laughing uncontrollable----inside myself)

"OK mom... I WILL"

hahhahhahhah

I updated the info for MY kids.....

so i made sure to tell my boys ,,
"always have two condoms in your wallet, just in-case you meet two girls.
you can use them both...""

WWYMD ?? lol

this world is CRAZY-er then i ever imagined...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
It's a nice marketing ploy, but nothing more. As another person already said, a girl would have to be half naked for anyone to see the underwear, so what's the point? Just another slightly creative gimmick to make a few bucks.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I don't know how anyone would think that this is going to make a difference. If the girl is in just her underwear, I'm pretty sure she's not going to stop there... It's just a money making scheme.

I always hated those underwear with the days of the week on them. I always wore them on the wrong day. Yeah, I'm a rebel.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I get the idea the message is trying to convey, but as a person above me stated, we don't all have poster moms. What would my mom do? The exact opposite of abstinence. She's had more sexual partners in her life than I have so is this really the message I should look to when I need a moral compass?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

An ingenuous way to entice teenagers to read more.

new topics

top topics

join