It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancestors warned Japanese about Tsunami Havoc

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Link: www.nytimes.com...

Mod Note: Starting A New Thread – Please Review Link

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sites, please post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, and your opinion on the information as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.
edit on 4/20/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by IndiGo33

interesting,seems that they grasped the notion of history repeating itself all those yrs ago.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Nice find..very interesting..over a century year old after 22,000 people were killed by a tsunami in the late 1800's! crazy..

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Really? And they built the reactors in these low-lying areas the stones warned against??? (I'm not familiar with the terrain, but am guessing so) All I can say is wow, they had these warnings, and still did what they did???

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by RoyalBlue
Really? And they built the reactors in these low-lying areas the stones warned against??? (I'm not familiar with the terrain, but am guessing so) All I can say is wow, they had these warnings, and still did what they did???
They stayed away from the low lying areas while people were still alive to remember it, but moved back to the low lying areas to be closer to their boats as they forgot. They are talking about building more reminders for the future:

One idea, put forth by a group of researchers, calls for preserving some of the buildings ruined by the recent tsunami to serve as permanent reminders of the waves’ destructive power, much as the skeletal Atomic Bomb Dome in Hiroshima warns against nuclear war.

“We need a modern version of the tsunami stones,” said Masayuki Oishi, a geologist at the Iwate Prefectural Museum in Morioka.
I hope they follow-through on that. They need to avoid re-building in the high-risk areas.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
omg I dont know whether to laugh or cry at some people's ignorance

"Mr. Kimura, a fisherman who lost his boat in the tsunami, said the village first moved its dwellings uphill after the 1896 tsunami, which left only two survivors. Aneyoshi was repopulated and moved back to the shore a few years later, only to be devastated again by a tsunami in 1933 that left four survivors."

I was just saying to a friend yesterday, how, in their right minds, could anyone rebuild in the same areas?" Now after reading its most likely a foregone conclusion.

I find it very hard to be sympathetic for people (only their children) who build/live in flood plains, beside rivers, on the sides of volcanoes, water front hurricane prone areas, etc etc

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
They have been warned yet they ignored

top topics

join