It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by Northwarden
I knew about the mercury, the clean-up hazards, and have been bitter that they are phasing out incandescent bulbs these past few years, but I'm happy to say last time I checked they are still for sale in Canada.
Perhaps LED lights are a good alternative for homes?
Originally posted by burntheships
The dark side of the CFL Lightbulb
Originally posted by Jordan River
you mean no one knew it was mercury in those bulbs? wow ats, you suck
Originally posted by mesaana
these days it seems everything causes cancer.
im neither for nor against the new lightbulbs, i do however like the light the older ones give off a bit better, these new ones are kind of harsh.edit on 20-4-2011 by mesaana because: (no reason given)
Originally posted by OhZone
Does anyone get the idea that this may have been done on purpose?
The cancer industry is drumming up business.
Originally posted by Arbitrageur
Not only that, but have you analyzed the soot from a burning candle? How do you know that has less toxins in it than what the CFL bulb is emitting? I suspect it has more!
Originally posted by TKDRL
I thought about that, but you gotta be really careful with candles though. One screw up and your house could be burnt to the ground. That would suck major ass.
Toxins in Burning Candles, Candle Wicks, and Incense
The toxins released to light a CFL bulb happen at the coal burning power plant, and some power plants scrub those toxins out of the air before they are released, though not all.
And the incandescent bulbs use roughly 5 times the electricity so they in reality emit 5 times the toxins of the CFL bulbs at the source power plant where the coal is burned. This OP article doesn't even address that fact, does it?
That's a major fail.