It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Energy Saving Light Bulbs 'Contain Cancer Causing Chemicals'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
During the winter months here in Canada, I tease people that they have to turn their CFL outside light on on Tuesday to have light on Friday: They are no good in the cold. Take forever to 'warm-up.'
In the North, having heat from a light bulb is a positive. Energy saving is a farce for it is during the long days of winter when most light is needed. Heat not given off by a bulb must be made up for with another source.
If lasting power of a bulb was a factor it is interesting to note that incandescent bulbs have been known to burn over 100 years. Manufacturers quickly realized that a life span had to be set or they would never sell #2.
Stock up now on incandescent before it is too late.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Northwarden

Originally posted by Northwarden
I knew about the mercury, the clean-up hazards, and have been bitter that they are phasing out incandescent bulbs these past few years, but I'm happy to say last time I checked they are still for sale in Canada.

Perhaps LED lights are a good alternative for homes?

Glad to know they are still available in your area. I am pretty sure they are being phased out in the U.S. as well, and some states such as California are on the leading edge of this B.S.

I had a few of these in my house, am online now looking at places to buy incandesent light bulbs.

They are still on sale online. I think I will buy a lifetime of them!

Google Search

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I was under the assumption that this was already known. Did they only now made this info public or something ?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

A new study was released...

Its here, but in German...
www.welt.de...

Translated to English here
Google Translate

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Danke schön, meine fraulein. Dus hast mich sehr gut gehilfen...

Excuse my German, it is not that good. Thaqnk you very much

My english sucks too...
sjeees

edit on 4/20/2011 by Sinter Klaas because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Just use led bulbs, much more efficient than cfl's. Incandescent bulbs have horrible efficiencies, which the power companies love...Most of the energy going into a incandescent bulb is wasted as heat, so if you need a heater, use incandescent, but if you want to save money, use led, or the new plasma bulbs.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
The dark side of the CFL Lightbulb

Case open....

Case shut!

Great find

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
There's some debate and additional information over in this thread that you all might be interested in as well.

One thing to note is that incandescents are also illegal to dispose of in many landfills as they have lead in them. And probably will have more as their made in places with fewer regulations, like China.

I think the jury's really still out about all this, but it seems that the winner might well be LEDs over both incandescents and CFLs.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
you mean no one knew it was mercury in those bulbs? wow ats, you suck

I'd imagine that nearly all of us know. If you hate ATS that much, why are you here? Trolls only appeal to other children.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Led lights... if you put enough of them in a reflector, they can be very bright and economical.

second line

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Just another step to get rid of all of us. I would have never guessed that these bulbs could have these kinds of effects.

S&F

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   

and they are full of mercury. so basically if you break one in your house you need to evacuate and call a decontamination team.

I wonder what you supposed to do after an earthquake ? evacuate the city or die ?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   

I HATE these new "energy" saving light bulbs.. They break after a few months of use and they have mercury in them (which is energy costly to dispose of properly and of course unhealthy). A lot of these "energy saving" things aren't energy saving at all..

Yes, LEDs are the future.. they are a bit costly to make now, but as time goes on they will get cheaper.
edit on 21-4-2011 by ElectricWizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
When I moved to the states and got my first flat I noticed the entirety of the place was full of these light bulbs. I started to get headaches from them so I removed them all and replaced with the regular bulbs. Headaches then gone. I would say that for me these were making me sick and so I don't trust them. If we are to get rid of the Thomas Edison type bulbs I'd like to stock up now and thereafter, use candles or kerosene lantern.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by mesaana
these days it seems everything causes cancer.
im neither for nor against the new lightbulbs, i do however like the light the older ones give off a bit better, these new ones are kind of harsh.
edit on 20-4-2011 by mesaana because: (no reason given)

They made me feel as if I were in a cold sterile room. The lighting was very uncomfortable.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
While the contracts given to cfl contractors are surely a scam, the health problems are very over blown. Your cell phones, flatscreens and old tv has a lot of "toxic chemicals"

The extra kilowatts of energy needed to power incandecents are mostly cancer causing as is the war it causes to secure energy needs. The article is out right paranoia as are many posts here.

There is a great alternative. LED lightining. The Chinese are manufacturing and using them. In new construction you can wire complete lighting systems in low voltage dc and they cost literally pennies.

The expense is the ac transformer that is in every bulb you screw in. That's why they cost $40 each. If we used dc for lighting and electronics we would save a lot of energy and could use direct sustainable energy without inverters.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone
Does anyone get the idea that this may have been done on purpose?
The cancer industry is drumming up business.

That's how I was thinking too. Lots of money to be made with cancer sufferers.

I was wondering why the energy companies here are sending people door to door giving them out for free. They even offer to install them for you too. Was wondering why they were cutting their own throats by doing this.

They must have shares in the medical industry.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by TKDRL
I thought about that, but you gotta be really careful with candles though. One screw up and your house could be burnt to the ground. That would suck major ass.
Not only that, but have you analyzed the soot from a burning candle? How do you know that has less toxins in it than what the CFL bulb is emitting? I suspect it has more!

Toxins in Burning Candles, Candle Wicks, and Incense

The toxins released to light a CFL bulb happen at the coal burning power plant, and some power plants scrub those toxins out of the air before they are released, though not all.

And the incandescent bulbs use roughly 5 times the electricity so they in reality emit 5 times the toxins of the CFL bulbs at the source power plant where the coal is burned. This OP article doesn't even address that fact, does it?

That's a major fail.

It depends on the type of candle you use. I'll take my chances with the candles.
2 nd line

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Very interesting article! S & F to you.....this brought up something that happened here in Charlotte about a year or two ago. When Duke Energy moved into their new headquarters in downtown Charlotte they gave away boxes of these light bulbs for free to every customer that was on their service list. Conspiracy and more fuel to the fire there?? I was one of them and my whole house is filled with these things. I will be sure to replace them now.
edit on 21-4-2011 by MonkeyWrench30 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I knew it !!

When they were making everyone change over I went out and bought incandescent bulbs by the box load, spurred on by some whistle-blower testimony about there being nefarious reasons for making people switch.

The chick at the counter gave me a real weird look and said I should use the energy savers and I think she thought I was a real idiot..... who's laughing now.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join