It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Energy Saving Light Bulbs 'Contain Cancer Causing Chemicals'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Energy Saving Light Bulbs 'Contain Cancer Causing Chemicals'

www.telegraph.co.uk

Fears have been reignited about the safety of energy saving light bulbs after a group of scientists warned that they contain cancer causing chemicals.

Their report advises that the bulbs should not be left on for extended periods, particularly near someone’s head, as they emit poisonous materials when switched on.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.telegraph.co.uk
www.telegraph.co.uk

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
So, add cancer to the growing, and already long list of adverse health affects from (CFL) bulbs!

Scientists claim that several carcinogenic chemicals are released when energy saving light bulbs are switched on.

“Electrical smog develops around these lamps

List of health affects these bulbs are linked to:

Cancer! - Headaches (Migraines) - Skin Irritation - Dizziness and Nausea - Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)

Yet, Governments are mandating CFL use and banning incandescent light bulbs! ?

Media, industry, and governments have “screwed” the "benefits" of CFL bulbs into our heads!

Were being "screwed" alright!

www.sl-webs.com...
So, exactly what is the upside of these new light bulbs?

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 20-4-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Not only that, I had one of those new ones before, and about 2 weeks later it caught on fire and partially melted. Good thing I was home and smelt that electrical smell. Damn things are not safe.

Deebo

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
So, the only way to safely use these is to not turn them on, don't screw them in, don't take them out of the box, and use tallow-candles in case it gets dark.

Got it.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
these days it seems everything causes cancer.
im neither for nor against the new lightbulbs, i do however like the light the older ones give off a bit better, these new ones are kind of harsh.
edit on 20-4-2011 by mesaana because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Does anyone get the idea that this may have been done on purpose?
The cancer industry is drumming up business.

Why hasn't there been a group of protestors on this matter?
For what its worth, we should all write to our legislators, both state and federal.

Yes, it seems that almost everything causes cancer, however it is more likely that it is that "everything" plus something else.

1977 Cancer Blackout 1977. Otto Warburg, Nobel Laureate in Medicine: "Cancer ... there is no disease whose prime cause is better known...in the meantime millions of men must die unnecessarily."

edit on 20-4-2011 by OhZone because: add info

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Wow, I wonder what this mean for all of the Indoor Gardens which use CFL's as a main light source. According to this article, the "electrical smog" can cause cancer if the brain is exposed to CFLs at a close enough distance for a long enough duration. If CFLs can affect our tissue in such a negative way there has to be consequences for the food we consume that is grown under them. Obviously we need many more sources to confirm this, but we could have yet another Conspiracy to add to the list.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
"Each CFL contains about five mg of mercury, enough to make 6,000 gallons of water toxic.

Mercury can cause brain and kidney damage in humans"
BC Switches off incandescent bulbs

Here in my home province of BC, the environmental movement has coerced the powers that be to ban incandescent bulbs above 75 watts, and are forcing retailers to stock the CFL's.
I thought my hubby was crazy for stockpiling the old-style bulbs, but now I realize he's a genius!! (and yes I will admit that point to him, if only to get him to stop saying "I told you so")

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Deebo

Same thing happened here, several times.

Dirty Energy Bulbs Part 1

Dirty Energy Bulbs Part 2
www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
So, the only way to safely use these is to not turn them on, don't screw them in, don't take them out of the box, and use tallow-candles in case it gets dark.

Got it.

These Gov regulations seem to end up making all of lifes tasks
a real pain. Something as simple as the lightbulb, since 1879.

The Government - Find good things and ruin them!

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this, I had no idea. I have them all over my house.
I'd like to see a list of things that are harmful that the gov suggests or makes you use....like these bulbs or gmo's etc.

edit on 20-4-2011 by WildWorld because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone
reply to post by burntheships

Does anyone get the idea that this may have been done on purpose?
The cancer industry is drumming up business.

You know, I seriously wonder! They took a great invention, that was successful and
highly useful for over 100 years...and are making everyday life a nightmare with these bulbs!

One has to wonder!

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I have used those bulbs since around 2006.

I've haven't had an increase in headaches, rashes, or ringing in my ears.

I did have a decrease in every electric bill since I began using them. The first house I used them in, just adding the lights dropped my light bill by 30$ per month.

ETA:

It could be true, they could cause a number of ilnesses. I would like to see if these scientists are in any way linked to or funded by power/electric companies.

Seriously 1 million people saving 30$ a month takes a chunk out of your profit.
edit on 4/20/2011 by ThaLoccster because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Not only that, but do an internet search on how to clean up a broken CFL. Evacuate the room after opening a window? Dispose of a burned out CFL wrapped in paper in a mason jar with the lid screwed on tight? No thanks. Regular old light bulbs just go in the trash and if you break one you just sweep up the glass.

Typical of the government.....save a little energy by poisoning not only us, but the groundwater too. Like save a hundred dollars by spending a thousand.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

Usually scientists that tell the truth are silenced.
In a big way...so its not suprising that this news is subdued.

I doubt there is anything but truth in the findings.

Seriously...the bulbs have mercury in them!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThaLoccster
I would like to see if these scientists are in any way linked to or funded by power/electric companies.

Scientists that tell the truth have a history of turmoil.

I doubt that these men would risk thier lives to tell the truth for a quick buck,
and besides that we know Mercury is toxic!

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
post removed by staff

That is a little harsh.

I remember hearing that if these new bulbs broke you were supposed to wear gloves, and bury them outside of your home. l looked into it and found out about the mercury. It is truly scary once you start realize how toxic many household products are.
edit on Wed Apr 20 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by HappyHermit
Not only that, but do an internet search on how to clean up a broken CFL. Evacuate the room after opening a window?

Yep, evacuate!

Found it right here on the EPA site...

How should I clean up a broken fluorescent bulb?
Because CFLs contain a small amount of mercury, EPA recommends the following clean-up and disposal guidelines:
1. Before Clean-up: Air Out the Room

Have people and pets leave the room, and don't let anyone walk through the breakage area on their way out.

Open a window and leave the room for 15 minutes or more.

Shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning system, if you have one.
2. Clean-Up Steps for Hard Surfaces

Carefully scoop up glass fragments and powder using stiff paper or cardboard and place them in a glass jar with metal lid (such as a canning jar) or in a sealed plastic bag.

Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass pieces and powder.

Wipe the area clean with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes. Place towels in the glass jar or plastic bag.

Do not use a vacuum or broom to clean up the broken bulb on hard surfaces.
3. Clean- www.energystar.gov...

Dont use a broom or a vaacuum...as it spreads the mercury...

Put it in a landfill.

Typical of the government.....save a little energy by poisoning not only us, but the groundwater too. Like save a hundred dollars by spending a thousand.

edit on 20-4-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I knew about the mercury, the clean-up hazards, and have been bitter that they are phasing out incandescent bulbs these past few years, but I'm happy to say last time I checked they are still for sale in Canada.

Perhaps LED lights are a good alternative for homes?

I found these on the topic ...

Ten days left to buy traditional lightbulbs: EU ban means only low-energy ones will be on sale
Last updated at 1:46 AM on 23rd August 2009

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Phase-out of incandescent light bulbs

Governments around the world have passed measures to phase out incandescent light bulbs for general lighting. The aim is to encourage the use and technological development of more energy-efficient lighting alternatives, such as compact fluorescent lamp (CFLs) and LED lamps. Brazil and Venezuela started to phase them out in 2005,[1] and the European Union, Switzerland,[2] and Australia[3] started to phase them out in 2009.[4] Likewise, other nations are planning scheduled phase-outs: Argentina,[5] Russia, and Canada in 2012,[6] and Malaysia in 2014.[7] Although the United States is not phasing out incandescent light bulbs, it has set minimum efficiency standards for lighting which preclude most legacy incandescent designs; these minimum standards phase in between 2012 and 2014.

en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join