It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists worried: Strange emissions by sun are suddenly mutating matter

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
well, the title definitely makes you think something a lot more sinister is going on than the article itself. the word "mutating" just makes me think that my DNA is falling apart and I'm gonna grow a thrid arm before I melt. But stuff like this just shows how little we understand this universe we are currently interacting with.

I agree that reading a large paragraph is difficult, but reading the article 'aint so bad (it not only divides it into paragraphs for you, it even supplies a pretty picture!). ... but it looks like the thread got edited for easier viewing (star for that!)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Is there a better source?

I wouldn't be too caught up in it if it's only one site saying that.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
When I first read about it it was just a small notice about some curious behavior that has always existed but was only recently discovered because it is so small and so insignificant that it does not really influence practical applications in any relevant way. Its just an odd scientific discovery that is looking for a proper theory to explain it. Like many others. Only interesting for theoretical physicists of the 12th degree because most of the impact of this discovery will only ever be understood by them and only be of "practical" relevance for the rewriting of some other even more complicated theories.

Now somebody has managed to write a 2 page long essay around it, combining all kinds of TOTALLY unrelated popular nonsense theories (2012, tsunamis, earthquakes) and whatever else is currently en vogue in ONE UNIFIED doom article, deliberately using words like "worried", "mutating", "alarmed", etc. Absolutely ridiculous (or humorous?). And brilliant at the same time.

edit on 20-4-2011 by prof7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Heres some links to the peer reviewed articles, you need to buy them but its the hard data you might be looking for.
its by the authors mentioned in the Stanford article on the journals mentioned.
www.sciencedirect.com...
search for jenkins as the author or use the volume number etc in the search box at the top of the page.

this is the issue,

Astroparticle Physics, Volume 29, Issue 2, March 2008, Pages 130-157

Abstract
Evidence for an anomalous annual periodicity in certain nuclear decay data has led to speculation concerning a possible solar influence on nuclear processes. As a test of this hypothesis, we here search for evidence in decay data that might be indicative of a process involving solar rotation, focusing on data for 32Si and 36Cl decay rates acquired at the Brookhaven National Laboratory. Examination of the power spectrum over a range of frequencies (10–15 year−1) appropriate for solar synodic rotation rates reveals several periodicities, the most prominent being one at 11.18 year−1 with power 20.76. We evaluate the significance of this peak in terms of the false-alarm probability, by means of the shuffle test, and also by means of a new test (the “shake” test) that involves small random time displacements. The last two tests are the more robust, and indicate that the peak at 11.18 year−1 would arise by chance only once out of about 107 trials. However, the fact that there are several peaks in the rotational search band suggests that modulation of the count rate involves several low-Q oscillations rather than a single high-Q oscillation, possibly indicative of a partly stochastic process. To pursue this possibility, we investigate the running-mean of the power spectrum, and identify a major peak at 11.93 year−1 with peak running-mean power 4.08. Application of the shuffle test indicates that there is less than one chance in 1011of finding by chance a value as large as 4.08. Application of the shake test leads to a more restrictive result that there is less than one chance in 1015 of finding by chance a value as large as 4.08. We find that there is notable agreement in the running-mean power spectra in the rotational search band formed from BNL data and from ACRIM total solar irradiance data. Since rotation rate estimates derived from irradiance data have been found to be closely related to rotation rate estimates derived from low-energy solar neutrino data, this result supports the recent conjecture that solar neutrinos may be responsible for variations in nuclear decay rates. We also carry out a similar comparison with local temperature measurements, but find no similarity between power spectra formed from BNL measurements and from local temperature measurements.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
On the positive side it sounds like all the radiation in Japan and elsewhere will get cleaned up a bit quicker. It is so good for the Sun to look after Earth like that as well all mess it up, I am really impressed.

As for this time thing, recently I have noticed that time is going faster compared to when I was a kid. When I try counting of seconds now compared to 30 years ago they do go by at a faster rate. Use to do it to judge how far away lightening was. I was thinking that this is just a normal part of getting older, it is quite common for many older people to say this. This is generally put down to natural aging and psychological reasons, but maybe this speed up of time has been going on for a very long time?

There are a few other threads starting to bring this time acceleration thing up with 2012 and the galactic alignment. I did try looking for a more reputable source about it and it is interesting to hear the scientific community and other ATS threads confirming that something is actually going on. I was left pretty disappointed after experiencing my first failed doomsday prediction so I am not inclined to go all apocalyptic about all the ongoing next ones. The SHTF could happen any time and we all have to die one day. However, it does sound like 2012 (or when ever it happens) could be quite an event if there is any substance to it.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AnotherYOU

Stanford and Purdue universities fearmongering...hmmm.

How 'bout we just call it a scientific abberation at this point since it appears to be factual and not just some hacks spouting off?

As far as why it's happening now...well, maybe it did the previous times earth, the solar system, and the galaxy were all at this same point in their cycles & precession - but those are so far out of our historical reference point that there's not really any way for us to know. Could be gravitational issues or something else. Might as well ask why water is wet...it just is.

Be well -
Steve

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Farnhold

WOW..... I can see now how the Illuminati card, "Rewriting History" may come into play. With that being said I am still in awe....trying to figure out what is and what isn't. Great find, thank you!!!! ;-)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnotherYOU
isn't this along the lines of what the tinfoil people said it would happen?

a change in the sun's frequency output would result and changes and mutation of dna?

it does not terrify me at all, as far as im concerned we are already mutants with a narcisistic nature.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Yes.
It is exactly what many "new agers" (see: "Ancient ideas revisited") proclaim, and have for some time now.
lol
Im with ya', Bring it!

edit on 20-4-2011 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by tonypazzohome

Ha! I'm telling you...I did the same thing (clicked on the link), then I clicked on other links to read more. Its too bad (and sad) some people are so ready to point the finger at someone else.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Reply to post by Praetorius

after rereading the article, it seems it has been happening, the question is why is it being brought up to our eyes now.

its just the timming.

and yes even credible scientific sources can practice fearmongering.

i mean look at all the scientific articles that reach the msm, it has been nothing but new ways our life can end or be dramatically altered.

cmon science, gives us at least one new breakthrough or treaty that actually improves something in our lives.

that was the whole idea.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by kwakakev
On the positive side it sounds like all the radiation in Japan and elsewhere will get cleaned up a bit quicker. It is so good for the Sun to look after Earth like that as well all mess it up, I am really impressed

It will not speed up anything now. The effect is not something that only recently ("suddenly") started happening, it has probably been happening since Aeons already (in a 1 year cycle if I read it correctly), we only recently discovered it. "New" previously unknown things are discovered every day but this does not mean that they did not exist before the moment they were discovered.

The word "suddenly" is definitely wrong.

edit on 20-4-2011 by prof7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I don't know if any of you have an opinion about the webbot thing, but this post is really creeping me out since I was thinking it was way off base with this year's prediction.

Webbot blathered on about "Rampant, Socially Disturbing Talk About Our Sun" and "unknown energies from space" which it later goes on to say will cause all sorts of major issues including "mental short circuits, confusion," among other things.

Do you think this prediction is for real? If so, do you think this 'new discovery' about our sun is what it's going on about?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Reply to post by Invariance

webbot didnt ring a bell.

but that "new unknown force of nature" that has been discussed here sure did.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I choose to view this information as evidence of power that was heretofore unknown to mortal men. If they had known how quickly and easily the parameters of existence could change they would not have played along so nicely and we would not have seen their true colors..... would we? Don't fear this...welcome it.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by prof7

It is the speeding up of radioactive decay that really gets me. This is a direct factor of time which all our clocks are based on it. This makes it hard to detect as the days and nights still keep a constant rhythm with time and our clocks. It is our perception and frame of reference over many years that made me take notice that something is going on, with other scientists noticing it there would be tools and techniques to measure it as well.

You are right that whatever this is it is not sudden, but there some trends to indicate that it is accelerating.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Never before has it been more important to eat non gmos, to spend the money used for war on cancer cures, not research grants but real solutions.

In Michio Kaku's assessment of a type 1-2 society, we have learned how to survive and counter any of the effects of such natural phenomena.

And with all of the incoming CME's and space debris, we need to afford more money into finding ways to combat the inevitable hits we will be getting in the future as well. Even NASA has opened the doors to amateurs to help them find and identify the unforeseeable risks to our planet and that should have been the first clue things are different now.

To every problem there is a solution.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Just something i put together....

never-before-seen particles—or some mysterious force—is being shot out from the sun and it’s hitting Earth. Whatever it is, the evidence suggests it’s affecting all matter.

+

Now this new force may be directly interacting with matter in a way that could not only change Mankind’s understanding of physics, but change Mankind itself…and not necessarily in a beneficial way.

=

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
there is another possibility you know...
we went through a massive time shift imo its what happened and it was caused by the same folks who have been keeping our little rock safe since our inception...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Show me a source other than Terrance Aym and maybe I would consider it.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
Show me a source other than Terrance Aym and maybe I would consider it.

This statement is way over used lately on ATS, please at least give a good reason why the source is not up to your standard.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join