It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heads Up! Another Hydrazine-Filled Space Derelict Falling to Earth!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
A respected Dutch amateur satellite tracker has reported on his blog that a
Japanese spy satellite, which broke down in space four years ago,
is predicted to hit the atmosphere early next year.
See sattrackcam.blogspot.com...

The satellite probably carries a significant amount of the
toxic chemical fuel, hydrazine. A very preliminary personal
estimate of mine is that the object may be about one tenth
as hazardous as the infamous 'USA-193' spy satellite.

In my analysis of the USA-193 'shootdown debate', I found the
commentators most eager to find sinister motives for the US decision
to be those with the least knowledge of actual spaceflight operations --
and the most mistaken 'pseudo-knowledge' of past safety practices.
There was also significant naked political hostility to the Bush Administration.

I wrote up the media debates and mistakes in 'New Atlantis' magazine:
www.thenewatlantis.com... It was based on my own
professional space operations experience and my long friendship with key
personnel on the DoD project, including former astronaut Kevin Chilton,
the then-commander of the US Strategic Command in charge of the project.

Perhaps we can help refute the pessimistic warning with which I closed
my 'New Atlantis' article on the mass media misinformation about the true
USA-193 hazards: "A well-defined and thoroughly-researched
technological hazard assessment has been buried in misinformation.
This does not bode well for the next time a space hazard requires action."

"Next time" is NOW.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

I read your article..
Interesting but really boils down to someone (you) heavily involved with defending NASA at all times, merely doing it again..
I don't doubt some sats may present a danger but it's naive to think the Government doesn't have other motives as discussed at the end of your article, including showing China it's sats are not safe from US destruction..

BTW, this bit made me P&%^ myself laughing..

President Bush responded, “I don’t care what people will say, we’re doing it for the right reason, and it’s transparent.”

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

I read your article..
Interesting but really boils down to someone (you) heavily involved with defending NASA at all times, merely doing it again..

Uh, what about the common claim that it was useless to destroy it since satellites had fallen to Earth for decades without any casualties, so why bother now? Didn't I refute the false facts behind that claim pretty effectively?

This time Obama's in charge, what do you bet the media spin will be PRO shootdown if he decides?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Uh, what about the common claim that it was useless to destroy it since satellites had fallen to Earth for decades without any casualties, so why bother now? Didn't I refute the false facts behind that claim pretty effectively?

This time Obama's in charge, what do you bet the media spin will be PRO shootdown if he decides?

IMO the military has what it wants..
A weapon to shoot down enemy satellites if needed..
The public is now aware of it so IMO there wont be as big an issue...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Jim, with respect, I do not recall any analysis that you did on the subject.

The only real analysis that was done came out against your views if I remember right. It is clear that the military did not do this just to protect human beings, and they likely will not do it again either. Here is the analysis of FOIA'ed NASA papers by the physicist at Harvard:

www.thebulletin.org...

and his response to your 'analysis':

www.thespacereview.com...

I think the main reason for uSA-913 was to stop any pieces of it landing in China or Russia...my 2 cents!

I'd say it's time for you to get over this and admit you were wrong for once...

-Clint Sharpe

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Andrew Higgins [Shock Wave Physics Group, Department of Mechanical Engineering, McGill University] has a nearly-completed technical paper on the real likelihood of the hydrazine survival, which he has shared with me and which I have urged him to complete and publish, especially under these new conditions. Nick Johnson at JSC has been a respected colleague on Russian space mysteries for several decades, and is now NASA's space debris [and surviving fallen space junk] guru who was intimately involved in the USA-193 decision. I also have been in touch with a former senior White House space policy expert, about the issues of classification still surrounding many aspects of the entry survival calculations. As touched on in my 'New Atlantis' article, all these studies by people who do real spaceflight analysis (not galactic astronomy, for example) are mutually supportive in their conclusions.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Yes, yes, believe me and my friends' unpublished work and classified assurances. Whatever dude.

At least you admit you did no analysis yourself.

We like you Jim boy, but let it go........you got this one wrong....

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency
Press Release

Advanced Land Observing Satellite 'DAICHI' (ALOS) Power Generation Anomaly
April 22, 2011 (JST)

Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA)

The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) has been operating the Advanced Land Observing Satellite "DAICHI" (ALOS) exceeding its design life of three years, and even after its target life of five years. However, at around 7:30 a.m. on April 22 (JST), we found that the satellite shifted its operation mode to the low load mode (*1), and all the onboard observation devices were turned off due to power generation precipitation. The anomaly was detected through relayed data via the Data Relay Test Satellite "KODAMA."

Since then, the power generation has been rapidly deteriorating, and we currently cannot confirm power generation.

The DAICHI was launched on January 24, 2006.

JAXA is investigating the cause of this phenomenon while taking necessary measures.

*1: Low generation mode: the mode to save power consumption to maintain the minimum function of the satellite.

new topics

top topics

join