It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Pushes Secure Online Identity System

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
On another note I just figured out why they are doing this besides the obvious nefarious one. For profit. They stole it from facebook.

As of recently Facebook sells information about all of its users and what they are doing to other businesses.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Actually, if it stops Identity theft I'm cool with it in the private sector. As long as anonymous activities are not outlawed or stopped at the same time. Obama and his people will be long gone before this sees daylight anyway.

I've never been comfortable using SS #'s and such. I've often thought it would be nice to have a single Dongle with some kind of local biometrics to use to activate all software. Cost would be maybe $5 a unit. It would stop all Piracy of software and in banking and bill paying it could be blessing. No more passwords, activation of software and other troublesome stuff. You could run your software on whatever computer you were on.

I have an expensive software now that uses a Dongle and I prefer it. Same Dongle for years and I can work on any computer when I wish to.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
reply to post by the_denv

Very true...and speaking of hacking...
The Government makes sure its got the best of them.

edit on 20-4-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

Omni Magazine had a story (circa 1980) about how groups of talented thinkers have a higher IQ test scores than the individuals in the group. Two heads are better than one. As I recall the idivduals had IQs of 130 to 150 and the group as a whole had an IQ of 180 or maybe more.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Private sector knock yourself out.

Public don't murder my anonymity and I wont use a shovel to dig up your internet cables in as many places as possible.

DEAL?

You no rapey rapey my internet anonymity (or if you do at least have the curtsey to do it in a secret NSA program that I am not aware of)

And I no cuttey cuttey all of the internet lines that I can possibly get my hands on.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Do or does anyone here have suggestions for achieving internet security and id? I recently filed online regarding taxes and have had problems with that decision; Also, I need some good knowledge how to re-establish my computer as I am not computer savvy but with some tutorial or info etc. would help. I am not sure I am compromised or what as they ask for your e-mail address.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Correct me if I am mistaken, but isn't there a simple soloution to this. Just don't participate in this government scheme. Isn't it that easy? I know almost no one here on ATS would.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by cardicorona
On another note I just figured out why they are doing this besides the obvious nefarious one. For profit. They stole it from facebook.

As of recently Facebook sells information about all of its users and what they are doing to other businesses.

I believe you have found the bullseye. Is there anyone here who doesn't see the great advantage (to marketers) of having all your information in one place?

In fact, in a few years I can see this being a real harvest for them. By having a uniform worldwide currency, making every exchange electronic, and having full-time access to our funds (which shouldn't be too far in the future), it shouldn't be too long before it's possible to just anticipate all of our material and psychological needs, provide the goods and services, and extract the appropriate number of credits from our account. What could be more perfect than that? I, for one, can hardly wait....

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
What's up with the total and complete misconception about this? It's not like a badge you wear all times. It's more like an ATM card you whip out when you wan't to ID yourself for example to do taxes online. Not to mention if done at all like our system it is very safe. Crypted comms, multiple safties etc. If someone were to steal my codes for example they still wouldn't be able to use them.

[Edit to add] Even if they'd get a spy program running on my computer and steal the codes they still wouldn't be able to use them

edit on 20/4/2011 by PsykoOps because: add

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I've gotta tell you from an ex-programmer point of view this is ridiculous!

#1 if you like your privacy, why are you using Windoze? Check out Ubuntu 10.. it's worth the look for most of you.

#2 "Big Brother" would have to get just about every 'private sector' corporation out there on board, as well as the governments of just about every country to actually police this thing correctly.

We are talking about the global use if idents here, as imposed by one country? I think the US has a lot of sway, but not that much. I'm willing to bet that if a system like this goes on-line, it will be plagued by attacks by various 'artists' who still believe that privacy is PRIVATE.

These "trusted ID systems" will not stop the security problems! As soon as one thing is created, a way will be found around it. In an article in PC World, they say that

It's important that private companies drive the trusted ID effort, added privacy advocate James Dempsey , vice president for public policy at the Center for Democracy and Technology. "The government cannot create that identity infrastructure," he said. "If it tried to, it wouldn't be trusted."
But do they really think we trust private companies? I saw facebook mentioned here earlier.. perfect example. They roll out updates to their system and by default violate your privacy and it's up to you to figure it out and tweak your settings yet again. (but I won't rant about that, that's for a completely different thread)
At Wired . com, they say

“If that gets compromised, that’s like losing your whole wallet, instead of just losing your driver’s license or credit card,” Rotenberg said.

And that was from executive director, Electronic Privacy Information Center.

Prison Planet Says that this is not unlike something China tried to do in 2007.

The program bears more than a passing resemblance to a 2007 proposal by China that threatened to force bloggers to register their real identities and personal details via a single centralized ID system as a means for the Communist government to control information and punish dissenters.

And that was a proposal by a COMMUNIST Government!
PewInternet published an article in which Susan Crawford, former member of President Obama’s National Economic Council stated:

We're moving into an increasingly authenticated and permission-based world. We'll be known to others as a condition of doing what we want to do. That may not be all bad news - we'll get loyalty points, after all - but we'll have to ensure that traditionally anonymous political speech and criticism is somehow protected. When it comes to commerce, anonymity is over.

Ok, so first she basically says the Nanny state of "Big-Brother-May-I" is growing, but goes on to say that it isn't such a bad thing?
W
W!
The article goes on to say

“Given the amount of communications monitoring governments already do, we're likely already past this point. There will still be ways for determined individuals and groups to hide online, but only in their own corners. The decade and a half-long territorialization of the internet by governments will continue unabated, and probably accelerate.” -- Anthony Townsend, research director, Institute for the Future

So admittedly, we have no anonymity on-line as it is, the sheeple just know about it now... This article goes on to talk about public disclosure, to provide the illusion that the sheeple can still control their anonymity.
... not to mention that they hope by 2020

Even avatars will have reputations. There will be some things that require a person's ‘name’ to be declared and validated, where the name could even be the last legal record in a series of deed polls.
WOW... even people IRL don't have their criminal record tattooed to their arms!

Spoon feeding us this crap and telling us that it's a good thing is right up there with just about everything else MSM and BIG BROTHER has ever tried to feed us.. I for one would stop using the internet that I helped build before I become subjugated to someone else's ideals about it!

Hey, older folks.. remember BBS-es? Remember "Who needs Windows in a world with no doors?"
~Sigh~ How times have changed.. a backwoods cabin with a solar panel and an Aptiva are looking better and better!

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Invariance

Awesome post, thank you!

I sure hope that work like yours gets out there in the media,
to fight back on this issue as the average person is lost in it...

Its way over their heads. And I think the Government knows this, and will
attempt to take advantage of it.

Can you just see it now...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Well, the only thing that "The Powers That Be" will ever listen to is a collective voice, if we stand alone we will be squashed like bugs... but if we stand together, would we just be bigger bugs? Who knows, but really with all the weird changes in the Earth's weather lately and the Sun being so hinky, I honestly wonder how much longer we will have to actually worry about issues like these.. one good EM pulse could do a number to electronics on a large scale.

~Pfft~ What do I know?
I'm just a lowly ATS newbie

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Very interesting conversation. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Invariance
~Sigh~ How times have changed.. a backwoods cabin with a solar panel and an Aptiva are looking better and better!

I'm already planning this

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

Unless a person is somehow forced to use this feature at all time, I don't know why in the case of employment a person cannot simply use this for his/her place or work, ie using it strictly for business, and then that person's personal browsing can be the same old same old.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Actually, if it stops Identity theft I'm cool with it in the private sector. As long as anonymous activities are not outlawed or stopped at the same time.

It wont stop idenity theft...and its going to be implemented by the Government, in conjunction with private
enterprise...and will encompass private sector, medical, etc...

How could we possibly hope to maintain anything anonymous with the Government at the helm...

Only by imcompetence on their part...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Hello hello? Can you guys read this? Wth is up with this disinfo and them getting all the attention. "Deny ignorance" is the motto of the site ffs

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Nope. Nope. I don't like it one bit! Seems like "blackmailing" could be in effect. (The usage of the word "black" by no means connote color or race).

Anyway, all I imagine is a bucket full of dirt (gossip or otherwise) with each grain of "sand" representing one person identified online. Get the bucket of dirt all wet with water (or by watering down "privacy" through this identity system) and there is nothing but mud --- thick and one difficult piece of "dirt" that would be hard to get out of.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Interesting news made headlines today, I started a thread here www.abovetopsecret.com...

There is hope folks!

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

One of the motivations behind this is likely to be to collect taxes. There are already pushes to apply sales tax to on-line purchases as well as a more rigorous push to record and declare e-bay,Craigslist income.

What this will come down to is some nonsensical business surrounding interstate commerce where by to engage in commerce over the internet, because by definition, the internet is not domiciled within a given state's jurisdiction, you will have to use this government id which will record all of your commercial activity. That activity will obviously be reported to the IRS - for your convenience

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join