It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple's Iphone has been tracking you!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
not sure if any of you guys have seen this yet.

but apple has been storing timestamps, latitude, and longitude and saving it to your computer every time you sync.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Either Apple needs to stop this or the government needs to step in.

Program to get the data.
petewarden.github.com...
edit on 20-4-2011 by white_raven because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by white_raven

Your title is a bit misleading.
Apple is not tracking me.
Maybe you should of titled it as, "If you have an IPhone, Apple has been tracking you."
If you had titled it like that, I wouldn't of opened this thread, and I would not have felt the need to type this comment.

Thank you

edit on 4/20/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
^ valid point. I changed my thread title.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

I'm a P.C!!

I'm a HTC!!

No tracking of me.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Good thing Bin Laden has a droid, he'd be screwed.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
This is news to you ?.. Wait till you find out what else is tracking you these days..

Set-top cable box's
ALL 3g enabled cell phones
ALL blu-tooth devices
Your game systems
The Xbox kinnect
The PS move
Your lap top
Web-cams

As you can see, The list go's on forever my friend.. Theres some mddern day home-land Espionage for ya'..
* Cough * (patriot act)* cough *..

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
The FCC requires by law ALL cell phones be equipped with GPS tracking capabilities that can pinpoint a phone to within 300 feet of it's location (some say 100 feet). The law went into effect 2001, as part of the E911 system.

Sad to say, but this tracking business is nothing new.

Your Cell Phone Is Watching You

Newer phones (like the iPhone) have taken it a step further by allowing the customer to use their phone to locate themselves, get driving directions, etc. ("find yourself" on iPhone for instance). several other apps are designed to allow you to track your friends IRL. Google does it too with their android OS.

Apple is not a cell phone carrier, they use AT&T for that (in the USA at least). There are probably tweaks out there than can remove these timestamps/lat-long. But the feds don't need them, they can go right to the source, AT&T. Of course in state like MI, CA, TX, and NJ the police can search your cell phone following a simple traffic stop, so having this type of detailed information residing in your phone could be a major concern.

IMO they don't really enhance anything as far as the police are concerned, they already had the means to track you. Back in 2009 Sprint complained it was overwhelmed by law enforcement requests for customer information, 8 million requests that year alone, according to the EFF. How many do you think AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, etc., etc., etc. received? Half the population is probably being tracked...

See:
Orwellian Justice system (bibliotecapleyades.net)
Surveillance Shocker: Sprint Received 8 MILLION Law Enforcement Requests for GPS Location Data in the Past Year (eff.org)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
also...apple has a patent for remote and unaware speaker and camera function even if you have the Iphone turned off...they wouldn't have a patent, if they did not intend to use it... a letter sent by snail mail is now one of the most private ways to communicate. good luck all you I HEADS

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
^this is scary

yea i know that FCC has been doing tracking, but I was more focusing on the company Apple, they have a file on the phone it self tracking you.

so whats a good solution if you want to have a cell phone?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978

I'm a P.C!!

I'm a HTC!!

No tracking of me.

Good chance that is an google android phone, you think google is not tracking you ?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

it will be very hard to be sure that you are not beeing tracked when you have a "smart" phone.
You could try to turn off wifi and gps but who knows how it can be tracked unseen in the background.

The only way i know is to get prepaid phones and swap phones and simcards a couple of times a day like Taleban officers in afganisthan.

On android phones there is software that can find your phone and make it ring even when it is turned off so it looks like they can always be tracked.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Cut the tether to the technology that tracks you. Don't like having your smart phone track you, and recording your image or voice with you unawares? Chuck it into the river!

If you have to have a cell phone (for safety for instance) use a basic pre-paid type, and keep it in a lead-lined box

Pull it out when you need it for emergencies.

Realistically, it pretty much impossible to get away from the government and police tracking your cell phones as they OWN the network. The commercial tracking for corporations and advertising is slightly less insidious but more annoying. I imagine there are tools to defeat the commercial tracking but good luck defeating the NSA and Big Brother. The only true way to defeat those is to cut that technology umbilical cord.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaamaan

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978

I'm a P.C!!

I'm a HTC!!

No tracking of me.

Good chance that is an google android phone, you think google is not tracking you ?

I was being sarcastic, sorry that's what you get when you are English.

All systems linked to the net our tracked.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
the article says that it "seems" to have started with the iOS 4 release.

just downgrade to 3.1.3
edit on 20-4-2011 by BlesUTP because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Jailbreak it and use Cydia

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
:lol; This is a surprise to anyone? For years iPhones have also been taking screen grabs when you use many applications and ringing home with them. Did you know that one?

top topics

join