It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ayn Rand on the conflict in the Middle East.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I don't know much about Ayn Rand except the fact that my friends on facebook seems to always post quotes by her.

For being such a well respected intellectual I found this video to be pretty interesting.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that you've never been to an arab country. At least not when you weren't carrying a rifle. This woman is an intellectually impoverished bigot, an emblem for the cynical ignorance that has informed US foreign policy for decades. This woman is not a "well respected intellectual" except by fools.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Hmmm I wonder instead what ayn Rand would say regarding the current conflict. Something tells me the situation has gotten worse since the video was made but that's just a hunch.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by gghhgghh

I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that you've never been to an arab country. At least not when you weren't carrying a rifle. This woman is an intellectually impoverished bigot, an emblem for the cynical ignorance that has informed US foreign policy for decades. This woman is not a "well respected intellectual" except by fools.

No I haven't been to an Arab country and totally agree with what you are saying. I just think its funny that she's looked at as this intellectual god and says things like this. Thats why I posted it.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

I think Phil does a great job of BALANCING the perspective half way through when he calls her out.

In my opinion this is whats missing sometimes here at ATS. A BALANCED view and stance coupled with asking probing questions. Trying to keep ones mind open to issues of all involved. This goes both pro and con on either side of any given conflict. Obviously there will be no simple solutions for many of the varying ME/West issues.

Yet keeping the discussion level and fair is often looked at as being weak or the result of Brain washing by the supposed Media on either side. Both sides are guilty of this and crimes/abuses. That goes without saying. What gets under my skin is when one side or the other tries to railroad the opposition. The resulting debates deteriorate into simple name calling, mud slinging and baseless false accusations.

We see this happen here at ATS often.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Ayn Rand (pronunciation: /ˈaɪn ˈrænd/;[1] born Alisa Zinov'yevna Rosenbaum, February 2 [O.S. January 20] 1905 – March 6, 1982), was a Russian-American novelist, philosopher,[2] playwright, and screenwriter. She is known for her two best-selling novels and for developing a philosophical system she called Objectivism.

Born and educated in Russia, Rand migrated to the United States in 1926. She worked as a screenwriter in Hollywood and had a play produced on Broadway in 1935–1936. She first achieved fame with her 1943 novel The Fountainhead. In 1957, she published her magnum opus, the philosophical novel Atlas Shrugged.

en.wikipedia.org...

Since Ayn Rand has been dead since 1982 not sure what relevance this video has to do with what is going on today in the Middle East and our policies now.

There has always been much controversy around her, she has been accused of being a communists and bigot.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Lots of people follow her words and ideas quite fervently

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1

There has always been much controversy around her, she has been accused of being a communists and bigot.

She was hysterical anti-Communist, and a mad old bat.
Completely bigoted, yes!
Vicky

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32

Originally posted by Aquarius1

She was hysterical anti-Communist, and a mad old bat.
Completely bigoted, yes!
Vicky

Are you sure you don't have that backwards?

These are the same people that were cheering when they saw 9-11 happen...

Wuld you say the same thing if she was condemning Nazi Germany?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by 8311-XHT

That was stock footage propaganda. What wasn't propaganda was the Israelis arrested in NYC celebrating the attacks.
edit on 21-4-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
reply to post by 8311-XHT

That was stock footage propaganda. What wasn't propaganda wad the Israelis arrested in NYC celebrating the attacks.

Are you sure that isn't propoganda by our own government because we did this 9-11 to ourself as an impetus to further our agenda in the middle East?

Why do people defend the middle east when these people let their leaders get away with the things they do? If they don't want to be considered part of the reguime then they have to do somehting to change it.. just like nazi Gemrany.. just like her ein the US.... Other governments will help them if they need help.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
The Middle East is an Islamic crap hole mired in a backwards culture.

Islam = death.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by 8311-XHT

You do know that's not true, don't you? (It was propaganda, pure and simple.)
Vicky

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Wasn't she from a jewish family?
It's not all that surprising that she would then support Israel. What would have been surprising is if she had supported the Palestinians, although considering her track record, I am not sure the Palestinians would have appreciated it
edit on 22-4-2011 by babloyi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32

You do know that's not true, don't you? (It was propaganda, pure and simple.)
Vicky

How do you know? IF they aren't supporters of their governments then why aren't they fightng them?

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

How do you know? IF they aren't supporters of their governments then why aren't they fightng them?

Er, what government do you expect them to be fighting against? There was no government behind 9/11 except perhaps your own - (Bush and company)

new topics

top topics

join