It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Considers Banning Access to Evacuation Zone for the First time!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Ok,I wanna make sure I am reading this right...Japan authorities are only now considerng banning access to the evacuation zone? I would think that once it became an evac zone that there would be no entrance allowed anyway,especially do to the health risks...But I guess what I read in the article is that people are sneaking their way in or they are allowing limited evacuees to enter to check their homes and belongings. What are these people thinking? I dont care what they say,the situation isnt getting that much better for anyone to be snooping around in the zone. I know at least I wouldnt be....And the authorities should be ashamed for letting people in for the simple fact that they at least know the truth....

TOKYO (AP) -- Authorities may for the first time ban access to the evacuation zone around Japan's crippled nuclear plant, citing concerns Wednesday over radiation risks for residents who may be returning to check on their homes.About 70,000-80,000 people were living in the 10 towns and villages within 12 miles (20 kilometers) of the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant, which has been leaking radiation after a March 11 earthquake and tsunami wrecked its power and cooling systems.Virtually all left after being advised to do so, but some occasionally have returned, defying warnings from police who have set up roadblocks on only a few major roads in the area.

"We are considering setting up 'caution areas' as an option for effectively limiting entry" to the zone, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said.
...LINK...

I woulda thought that these caution areas would have been set up last month and not just being thought about now...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Ok, what do they know that makes it more of a priority now to stop people from entering?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by RoyalBlue
Ok, what do they know that makes it more of a priority now to stop people from entering?
It wasn't that long ago they raised the severity level from a 5 to a 7 on the IAEA scale.

They'll still let people briefly enter the evacuated area around Chernobyl, but you need a permit, and probably radiation suits, etc, to be allowed to enter. Destination truth the TV show had a recent episode where the team went to Chernobyl to look for ghosts, of all things, while they were wearing radiation suits. They must be dedicated ghost hunters to expose themselves to radiation like that!

They also probably don't want people picking up contaminated things inside the evacuation zone and spreading the radiation outside it. Japan should probably be checking the stuff that leaves the evacuation zone for radiation if they aren't already.

join