It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Truckers Refuse to Brave Iraq Roads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Foreign drivers in Iraq are refusing to continue braving the roads. Kidnapping, violence and robbery are a few of the many reasons these drivers, who are increasing in number, are afraid of driving in Iraq. Jordanian truck driver Faisal Suleyman was recently robbed in Iraq and now he has joined the many drivers, whose cargo is vital to the reconstruction effort, who refuse to brave the roads.

www.guardian.co.uk
BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) - On his first journey to Iraq in eight months, Jordanian truck driver Faisal Suleyman was followed, pulled over and robbed by four men in a sky-blue taxi brandishing automatic weapons.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I find it sad that these men have to fear for their lives when they are just trying to do their job. Also they are trying to HELP the Iraqis by delivering vital things that they need. I don't understand why they would want to terrorize these people.

[edit on 27-7-2004 by deeprivergal]

[edit on 7-27-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I doubt that any of these kidnappers care for the well being and the rebuilding of the country. They now found a reason to terrorize people in Iraq. They do not have any goals to achieve except killing people.

No GODS in any religion tell their people to kill other people for no reason. List one thing that the Americans are doing wrong over there. These terrorists are just showing to the world why this region needs interference from the the Americans and international.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
it seems like the terrorists are winning correct???

they inspire fear in people and these "truckers" HAVE fear so they dont "brave" these roads...

sounds like they are winning???

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I think that they should be bullet proofing the cabs of these trucks. After all they are a very crucial part of the rebuilding of Iraq. Making them bullet proof would make the truck drivers feel better.

Q

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
I think that they should be bullet proofing the cabs of these trucks. After all they are a very crucial part of the rebuilding of Iraq. Making them bullet proof would make the truck drivers feel better.

Not a bad idea at all Murcielago. I know if I were one of these truckers, I'd certainly want some bulletproof glass.

However, this would probably just tick them off more, and they'd start throwing grenades, etc.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Not just glass, i'm talkin about the doors and the floor, and also an idea just came to me, they should install a hidden button (like under the dash or seat) that when pushed sends a SOS to a police or military building which gives them the GPS location of where that truck is, and notify the closest cop car or Hummer.
Although I relize that installing the GPS and Bulletproofing would cost aroung $50,000 per vehicle, so I would recommend doing it to the trucks that need to travell on the most dangerous routes.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 03:45 AM
link   
You can't make a vehicle 'bulletproof'. You can make one 'bullet resistant'. Anyway my point is that even if you to go all the trouble and cost of making a vehicle bullet resistance, it will only buy you a few seconds or so in which to get away by driving off. If the 'terrorists' are working in groups and have automatic weapons, the driver won't last very long if they don't want them to. It might make the drivers feel better though but I think it's just way to expensive for the protection it offers.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I wonder that if the Iraq people were driving these trucks we would be having the same problem, I doubt it. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that, foriegners destroyed the infra structure and now foriegners are getting payed to re-build it. Therefore giving the Iraqi people a bit of a bum deal.

However, these could just be bandits taking advantage and would rob whoever it was driving.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 05:12 AM
link   
OK folks. Think about all those people in your own country who live in high crime areas and the people responsible for that high crime. What would a person with those sense of morals do if the rule of law was essentially non existant, you could run around with automatic weapons with your "comrades" and get away with doing anything you please ? Hmmm.

The idea that these groups are downtrodden freedom fighters of Iraq trying to rid their country of invaders is ridiculous (where were they when Saddam was in power ?). They are criminal thugs and should be treated as such. If they really want a Iraq free of foreigners then the quicker the lawlessness ceases the quicker the foreign troops will leave. The last thing these people actually want is democracy and the rule of law.

regards,

new topics

top topics

join