It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Space Race 2.0 U.S vs. Canada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Today at a press conferance Burt Rutan, head of the Mojave, California-based Scaled Composites has given its 60 day notice that it will be making an attempt to win the Ansari X-Prize competition on September 29 from the Mojave Spaceport, and then repeating the feat no later than October 13.

www.space.com
A piloted rocket ship race to claim a $10 million Ansari X Prize purse for privately financed flight to the edge of space is heating up.

Aerospace engineer, Burt Rutan, leader of Scaled Composites of Mojave, California, has formally announced a timetable for back-to-back flights of the firm�s SpaceShipOne rocket plane.

Rutan and his team have given its official 60-day notice, with the first X Prize attempt set for September 29 from the inland Mojave Spaceport in California. To win the $10 million, SpaceShipOne will need to make a second flight within two weeks, by October 13.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Rutan and his team are in a prime position to take the 10 million prize, and many consider the X-Prize over and done with and the other teams who are further behind set their sites on the First Annual X-Prize cup tentatively set for somtime in 2005 in Nex Mexico.

If SpaceShipOne fails in some way or stumbles along the way to a smooth 3 lauches Brian Feeney the Leader of the Canadian Da-Vinci Project is right behind Rutan's Group. On August 5 Feeney & Co. will unviel their completed X Prize vehicle to the public at Downsview Airport in Toronto, Ontario. Wild-Fire is as exotic looking as the WhiteKnight/Spaceshipone combo as they are different. When Wild-Fire makes it's attempt, it will be lifted by the largest baloon in the world to 70,000 ft, the Wild-Fire will make it's acsent into the History books, whether it be Canadian history or World History only time will tell.

[edit on 7-27-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Is the Canadain team going for the 3 people flight for the X-prize first, before attempting it with one person first? They have a very intesting design and very different from Scaled Composite. I think Scaled composites Space Ship One has already secured a place in the history books with becoming the first private piloted vehicle to streak out beyond the Earth�s atmosphere. Even if the fail to win the x-prize

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   
The Canadian team has not announced its launch date(or plans) because I suspect they are watching Scaled Composites very closely, looking for a sign of weakness and I'm sure they want to do more testing first. If there is no weakness in Scaled Comp's effort then they will surely cruise towards the 10 mill no sweat, and Feeneys team will be forced to wait till the X-Prize Cup sometime in 2005 I can't wait, cuz I'm going. It's like going to the first F-1 Race ever, its going to be so amazing to see all those different spaceship up close, which will be a first for me. Yeah I agree with you that SpaceShipOne has already secured a place in the History books but to the Public it will be the winner of the prize that they are waiting for like I am.

EDIT: I'm tired and didn't get the question...

[edit on 27-7-2004 by sardion2000]

jra

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I'm not sure if they've done any testing with people or even just testing the balloon lifting the rocket up to it's hight. As much as i'd like to see the Canadian team do well. I sure hope they arn't rushing ahead and skipping testing and safty issues. I'd be just as happy if they got second place. It would still be an amazing feat to accomplish. Sure you don't win 10mil and what not, but it's better than a possible death.

I know they have tested the rocket engines, but that's all i know of. I sure hope they've tested more and just haven't said or shown anything. Either way, these are my two favorite teams. I sure hope they both do well.

new topics

top topics

join