It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds, desperate for work, show up to apply at McDonalds.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I have heard it said that even in this economy you can always get a job flipping burgers. I guess that isn't true anymore.
Hunderds come out to McDonalds for a job.

People came through all day and waited patiently for their chance to interview with a manager in hopes of ending their job search. Athena McCarthy says she's been out of a job for three months and is down to her last $20 which she just spent on gas. The stigma of working at a fast-food restaurant doesn’t bother her. “It's a job and when you need one you don't care what is or what your’re doing,” said McCarthy.

They say the economy is getting better, that jobs are being created. How bad is it really when people can't even get work at McDonalds?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
i worked at mcdonalds and it sucked...its so sad to ee all those who had no choice but to try and get a job there..this country blows!!!

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

If its a low socio-economic area then working at maccas may actually be hard to do.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Welcome to modern-day Amerika!

Care for some fries with your Big Mac?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

it has for sometime now. lets see if we can draw out the love it or leave it crowd and the compare contrast with 3rd world war torn countries crowd.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
It's very sad. If we still had manufacturing jobs in this country, we wouldn't be in this mess. Manufacturing jobs, while not the greatest, are at least steady hours, and and employees can have a little more self worth. I know when I was younger and worked at placed like Taco Bell and Burger King, I was luck if I got 20 hours a week. I couldn't take on a second job because my hours were so random, and they were unwilling to work around a schedule for a send job.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by superluminal11

if i could afford too i would leave but unemployment only gets me so far

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Only Hundreds?

I figured it would be more like thousands in some places.

I thought about going, but I figured it wouldn't be worth the effort.

50,000 workers across the nation comes down to a only couple positions per restaurant.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
i will resort to 'crime' before working for the evil clown

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by questcequecest

Indeed, crime is always hiring!
And the flexible hours rock.
Your'e boss never bothers you either.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Already have resorted to crime before I worked for that clown...I tell people that the man has the burden of proof on them and to prove I even did a "crime" in the first place.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Well, it looks like China has won the war without lifting a weapon. They preyed upon the one weakness of corporate america, greed. The only way we can win back our country is to get manufacturing jobs back to the US ASAP.
edit on 20-4-2011 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

Indeed, crime is always hiring!
And the flexible hours rock.
Your'e boss never bothers you either.

But when your boss fires you he will also fire apon you.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Ooh, McJobbies.

So...anyone want to talk about changing the workweek to 32 hours verses 40, then forcing companys to hire on an extra shift instead of working overtime..

or do we have to suffer a bit more first.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by agentofchaos

thats right and im sure theres a crime somewhere thats been committed if these poor people have to work for ronald to survive

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I would rather risk life and liberty stealing from the government to feed my family than serve poison to my countrymen at Mcdonalds.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Media's prime example of growing jobs is a McDonald's job. How is that even a positive example? It's a job yes, when many need jobs. But to solely base that on one type of job, in the lower income bracket(maybe would minus the "higher" up positions, depending on availability). As well as a job, stated in the article, that will be well sought after because it's the only one that is growing. Is misleading to conclude that jobs are growing. Though,on a job that averages $15 thousand or so a year, you're near below poverty(11,000 a year and under). That kind of job is not meant to solely survive on, esp., if you're the only one working in a family. Fast food jobs and other low wage jobs such as "bag boys" were known as teenage jobs, for those in HS or just out of it learning employment. If adults can't even find jobs, how are teenagers ever going to be able to to have a start somewhere? I hear there's a lot of jobs won't hire people who have not worked for 6+ months. Jobs that once used to be a start for some, can't even be touched. Forget even going to college beyond Community College, grants only take you so far. If your parents can't afford to help and you're unemployed, you're way out of luck. Sad because this upcoming generation seems very bright, with no where to go.
edit on 20-4-2011 by dreamingawake because: added more.

edit on 20-4-2011 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join