It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the bible the God's word?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Im not religious im finding logical point of view and some answers.Well folks, this is one bloody debate of all centuries!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Don't know if I believe in God..but if he exists...I doubt very much a loving God would preach hate and intolerance.

I think it is a tool used by the church to control the masses..the weak and vulnerable...for power, money or both.

Oh yeah..the usual fools will be in posting...:"there is no God"...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by kerazeesicko

There is no god! ONLY SMORES POPTARTS!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by solid007

I believe it is God's inspired word,incorporated with the personalities and quirks of the different writers,which is why the four gosples of the new testament,are essentally the same ,but have different under tones, but most of the interpretations of God's word's are from man, in order to put God in a box of their own liking.
edit on 19-4-2011 by infojunkie2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Um wouldn't all words be God's word?

I was under the impression God created everything.

But hey, it's not my fault nobody asks basic questions.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by solid007
Well folks, this is one bloody debate of all centuries!

Maybe not centuries, but you've just linked to nearly 3 and a half hours of video.
Are we realistically supposd to view them before replying?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
If there was a god and I always use this quote "What can be asserted without proof can be disproven without proof" You would think he would love all his creatures equally? Religion and the church are a scam. There is an old saying "Throw your coins into the basket and your soul shall be freed from hell" I'm telling you watch the late night churchmercials "I don't need your money we need your money god needs your money"

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
If you accept that god's a narcissistic asshole that has a pathological need to be worshiped then yes, the bible is the word of god. The ultimate and perfect being is a sadistic pedophile according to the old testament.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

The Bible is mostly a collection of letters and writings bound together. There are multiple authors. Words of God are printed in red usually. Keep in mind, original writings were lost long ago. Age, fire, water damage, thievery, the need for heat, hidden away from public eye, you name it, a lot of the earliest writings were lost in the shuffle.

Also, some of the letters of the Bible were not recorded until hundreds of years after the event. We all know how twisted communications can get, imagine a eyewitness account of an event retold thousands of times over hundreds of years.

And translations will change meanings here and there because of errors or grammatical use, or words with more than one meaning.

So today's Bible is a collection of letters & writings that have been heavily handled. This being the case, it is a little silly how some people freak out over every little nuance of the Word. To argue Bible is a fools paradise, and they are missing the point. In the Bible we learn some history and some wisdom. The essence is to try and get along, be kind, be gentle. Yes, there are the Commandments, but there are other instruction in the Bible that would put you in jail.

Of course, there is also plenty of intentional manipulation written into the Bible by self-interested parties using spiritual belief system to control the masses; their minds and their wallets. The RC Church is a massive political tool with a horrible history, right on up to present day.

Lot of people get way too literal on the Bible IMHO. The proof is in the pudding, in the way you live your life, set good examples for others, be charitable etcetera.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
If the bible was word of God, why do most Christians have to amend God's words? Why would they ignore some of the words? Don't they risk burning in eternal hellfire? Of course not. God doesn't exist. Not an omnipotent God anyway. Other descriptions of God are just vague and pantheistic.

See my videos on my sig for some interesting debates.
edit on 20/4/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Interesting debate !

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Wonderful debate!!! I really enjoyed watching ole Jimmy skate around many of the questions about which Bible is true. And the muslim in the videos was VERY smart and I even agree with a lot of what he said, dealing with New bible versions.

The question and answer session was the best part of the videos I think. Jimmy really did a good job at answering the questions. The muslim misapplied scripture that was meant for Jews and applied it to Christians. SOP. But Jimmy did drop the ball on dealing with Bible Versions.

Lack of Bible knowledge, wisdom, understanding and discretion from both these guys is embarrassing. Does no one really understand the Bible anymore? My how well federal education has worked. Mission complete Government.
edit on 23-4-2011 by KJV1611 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
If the bible is god's work
why didn't he sign it...?
if it was gods work and other people signed it
then they are guilty of plagerism and should all lose their tenure.
for academic fraud.

Once, after working my butt off all day, I got a very dificult job done...
some idiot who screwed up in the first place said
"thank the lord!"

I patiently explained to him
that to give credit to somehing he can't prove exists
for MY HARD WORK is WRONG
and if he were to insult my work like that again
he would be fired
with real fire.
after I beat him
with his own tongue
edit on 23-4-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

If the Bible is truly God's word then why haven't we heard from him in over 2000 years??

I doubt it's because he is shy...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

shhhh!
he is all powerful

but he can't just talk to anyone...
no..
you need US to tell you what he wants from you....
God gave man free will so he could choose to do what he is told....

you can start by handing over your best goat
and some mint sauce
I like mine well done...

edit on 23-4-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
The bible is a big story that was terribly twisted by men who wanted to control humanity.
I believe there was a Master Philosopher named Jesus. He was misunderstood because his message was pure. Our dual nature is overridden by doubt. We (well, most) have forgotten the truth and home.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
What does the Bible or Christianity offer humanity that Buddhism doesn't?

The Old Testament is very odd text to say the least. I find Christian's have to ignore large sections of text to make the book reconcile with their ideal of what the book teaches, and have evolved their teachings over time to better reflect the society they live in.

I find a lot of Christians I try to debate are somewhat narrow minded. I had a guy tell me last week that Buddhism was "idol worship"..give me a break.

It scares me when I hear so many of them say something like "We, and we alone have the answer (talk to a JW), and everybody else is wrong and condemned to hell!" Try to find that in Buddhist teachings.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Assuming -
-there is a God
-he /she/it speaks our language
-he really cares about us

Maybe yes, but even if there was a God, and he decided our trivial rock means anything in the grand scheme, and that he speaks our language... it is still up to human interpretation, which seems to differ in about 6 billion or more ways. Therefore, be it resolved that the Bible, any bible is not God's word. My interpretation of the bible and it's followers is do as I say, not as I do, kill people to show people it's wrong to kill people, donate a few bucks to some charity that is stationed in prime time downtown real estate, and go take your recycling half way across the city in your hummer, and pray that the priest doesn't think your son is cute.

I won't doubt there is "some supreme creator", but until I see proof, all I see are sheep following hypocrites.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
The written word is only as good as the language it's written in.

God's word is written on our hearts, and we discover it as we learn about ourselves.

When this happens, the written accounts of those who have experienced it start to take on new meaning and "come to life", as it were.

And this is a good place to be, because then you don't have to worry about textual inconsistencies. For example, to me, the Gospel of John speaks to my heart, while (several parts of) Matthew reek of ex-post-facto propaganda.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join