It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Piss Off A Police Officer By Knowing Your Rights

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ViperChili
reply to post by newcovenant

Police have no obligation to protect anyone. To protect and serve is just their little motto to make people think cops have some other primary purpose other than raising revenue for their jurisdiction.

Given that the average police response time is somewhere around 5-7 minutes, how many lives do you think they actually save compared to people who defend themselves successfully?

I somewhat agree with you.

But

Most jurisdictions have an oath of office that requires you to swear to protect the citizens of said jurisdiction. I do also believe, that we should question the police. If we are not paying them to protect and to serve, what are we paying them to do?

edit on 4/20/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Phantom28804

LMMFAO!!!

Yooooooo! Is that video serious?

That has to be one of the funniest shots i've seen!

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
. In fact it is still being debated by the supreme court in a few domestic abuse cases.

Actually the Supreme Court has already ruled on this, quite a few times:

Warren v. District of Columbia

DeShaney v. Winnebago County

and Castle Rock v. Gonzales

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Well, so far I see a bunch of posts from people that broke the law in some form or fashion (DUI, speeding, not stopping at stop sign, etc) and complaining about how it's not fair.

Somehow I have never encountered mistreatment by police and EVERY time I've been cited, it was because I was breaking the law. As far as I'm concerned, if a police officer ask you for your ID and you come back with some bs about knowing your rights and then refusing to provide said ID, I have very little sympathy for the way events unfold from there. You had every opportunity to be treated fairly, but you went into it intending on being a confrontational a-hole.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by usernameconspiracy

I will have little sympathy for you when it happens to you. Why do people have to experience something themselves in order to empathize with others?
I don't break laws (BS 5mph over the limit & not making complete stop is what 99.9% of all of us do) and have been nearly bankrupted by the revenue rangers, also I've been arrested falsely in my front yard. It was a long story and the charges were dropped, but I still had my rights stomped on. Their attitude is just arrest everyone and let the judge sort it out later.... if you're arrested on a Friday, then it's a little more than a slight inconvenience being in jail until Monday morning.

Go out into the real world and come across a cop having a bad day, see if you can polite your way out of abuse of power, then get back to us.
edit on 20-4-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I put in 3 words into a Youtube search, cop kills man, and look at all the videos that come up...

www.youtube.com...

Now do the same search on Google and read all the articles and incidents. How many times is enough to change the system? How many people have to have their lives ruined because of police incompetence and abuse?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
They use to take advantage of me when I was young and naive, and they continue doing so today.

Most go through their entire lives without a problem with a police officer. What do you do exactly that causes you to have all these problems with police? Everyone I've ever known who had constant problems like that were either problem drunks, on drugs or actually committing crimes. Mostly they were problem drunks, starting fights and driving drunk. Some were just crazy drivers with no regard for others lives who hated Cops for protecting others from them.

One thing they all had in common was they would deny they deserved the scrutiny and usually lied about what they did.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

So you label all Cops based on the actions of a handful? I'm sorry but I'm not buying your rant here. Cop Haters are Cop Haters for a reason.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Perhaps one reason people hate cops is because they are nothing more than semi-functioning retards whose primary purpose is to act as revenue agents for their corrupt jurisdictions.

I've never been arrested, and only received 2 tickets in 16 years of driving. My life isn't filled with interactions with law enforcement, yet I despise them with every molecule in my body.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
They use to take advantage of me when I was young and naive, and they continue doing so today.

Most go through their entire lives without a problem with a police officer. What do you do exactly that causes you to have all these problems with police? Everyone I've ever known who had constant problems like that were either problem drunks, on drugs or actually committing crimes. Mostly they were problem drunks, starting fights and driving drunk. Some were just crazy drivers with no regard for others lives who hated Cops for protecting others from them.

One thing they all had in common was they would deny they deserved the scrutiny and usually lied about what they did.

I just LOOK the part I guess, long hair, jeans, baseball cap at times.... I get profiled all the time "in the cities" not the suburbs. In the suburbs where I live, most of the men have long hair and pick up trucks, so I fit in here and haven't had a single problem with police in over 2 years now. New Hampshire is awesome.
Go about 25-50 miles range of Boston and let me know how things work out, try living there for a while and let me know how well the police treated you while you minded your own business.

Everyone is a suspect and guilty until proven innocent by means of ID checks and what not. That is Nazi Germany, papers please, at least the Germans were polite about it.

Originally posted by Blaine91555

So you label all Cops based on the actions of a handful? I'm sorry but I'm not buying your rant here. Cop Haters are Cop Haters for a reason.

Do you read things accurately? I never lumped all police under the same catagory and spoke well of the local police force where I live now. If I grew up HERE in NH, my opinions of the police would be drastically different than growing up outside of Boston. Experience is the mother of all teachers.

Sometimes cooperating costs you a lot of money, which was the point of the video I originally posted. If those guys handed their IDs over, who knows what road that would have led to. People show up on the Do Not Fly List all the time who didn't deserve it.... when they run your ID, it goes through many databases. Have you ever experienced ID theft? I have, cost me thousands trying to clear it up, and if someone gets arrested using a fake ID with your info, guess what? You go to jail for something some thief did with your ID if there's a warrant. I've seen olf friends of mine get arrested at their front doors for something someone did using their information during an arrest.
If you get arrested on Friday, you get put in the cage at the local zoo on display.... if you're a smoker like me, it's utter torture with no smokes for 3 days, withdrawals are torturous.

edit on 20-4-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

edit on 4/20/11 by HenryPatrick because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by HenryPatrick

edit on 4/20/11 by HenryPatrick because: (no reason given)

Great in theory, but it doesn't always work out that way. Ask the residents around the Katrina disaster...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

your lawyer should have asked for a copy of the tape the unit had running, if not....a copy of the dispatch log, which would have logged the unit's times for stopping your vehicle and possible the reason for stopping it, time running your driver's license and the check for outstanding warrants, the officer's time for requesting a tow truck, the time the officer went on record as arresting you, the time he arrived at the station ect. ect. ect. These logs are govt records and cannot be altered.

I know there are good cops but there are also bad ones out there and whether most people want to believe it or not---innocent people go to jail all the time.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
This is what kills me about this argument here.

Why is this such a great victory again? Because these guys don't present ID for the sole reason that "they don't have to". BIG DEAL. Just because you don't "have to" do something doesn't mean that you should refuse to do it in every situation just to rebel against law enforcement.

Seems like more of a jerk thing to do than some kind of rebellious act of freedom.

Most law enforcement is only doing their jobs when things like this take place...it's the jerks who think they are making a point by acting stupid that cause the trouble....not the officers.

Baaaaahhh!

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Every time i do something that can be interpreted as bad and the police comes, i always bring out the constitution and a law book and bam instant humiliation.

Its good to have one handy at all times.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
Most law enforcement is only doing their jobs when things like this take place...it's the jerks who think they are making a point by acting stupid that cause the trouble....not the officers.

How are they acting stupid? They were very polite, didn't talk back and didn't give attitude. They simply stated their rights and that's it.
Maybe this car was a bunch of law students coming home from a party or something

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Ayn Rand nailed it in 1957

Ragnarr Danneskjold told Rearden....

"What I actually am Mr Rearden, is a policeman. It is a policeman's duty to protect men from criminals-criminals being those who sieze wealth by force. It is a policeman's duty to retrieve stolen property and return it to its owners. But when robbery becomes the purpose of the law, and the policeman's duty becomes, not the protection but the pluder of property-then it is the outlaw who has to become a policeman."

Her prophicy has come to pas the police are the theives siezing our property by force and turning it over to the corrupt.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

I stepped over the line. Sorry about that. It's just we see so many Cop Haters here I over-reacted. I had problems in my stupid youth many decades ago, but I accept I deserved it and the Cops were reasonable and I was not. Age makes a person more and more honest. Sorry for misunderstanding and reading what I wanted to see. It was wrong of me.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I suck at quoting quotes in quotes so I will summarize.

yes officers should know the laws they enforce. But blaming the police for the lack of citizen's knowledge isn't correct either.
In the United States, a driver going over state lines is responsible for knowing that states law. Now there is a silly sign telling you to buckle up at a state line, but not that. Not knowing the law is not an excuse. It is up to the driver to know them before crossing a state line. Is that the officer's fault as well? Is more training required for the officer, or for the driver?
As for behavior around cops, that is up to the cop. Do people slam on their breaks? Yes. In my area, everyone knows where teh speed traps are. So only outsiders freak. There is also so much traffic it is just shooting fish in a barrel.
In our neighborhood, we are in the country, people fly up and down the roads. A new subdivision was built and the yuppies whined about everyone speeding. Local law enforcement set up speeding for a few weeks, same time, same place so the locals can figure it out,and to appease the yuppies, and they were never seen again.So I am sorry if your group was thugs, but not all police departments are the same.
As for the revenue stream, nothing is a more powerful motivator then losing money.

Dont' break the law and you don't get the fine.Parks are also a revenue stream. There are lots of revenue streams.But people want to hate law enforcement so they want to gripe about this particular one?

What I take issue with is the scameras, now on corners. Not only do they shorten yellow lights to catch runners, or force runners, but the companies take 60% of the profit. If people are to be fined, all the money should go back into the system.

And thank you very much for your service.

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

Originally posted by nixie_nox
For one, officers are just that, officers, not lawyers.

But officers should know the laws that they are enforcing.

And why are you getting into situations that involve police and need to know your rights?

One should ALWAYS know their rights. As for getting in situations . . .

There are a multitude of situations where you are doing nothing, but the police get involved. At a cook out, driving your car, walking down the street, just to name a few. You don't always have to breaking the law to have contact with police officers.

Funny how people hate the police but I bet you dial 911 in an emergency.

Responding to emergencies is their job. To protect and to serve, remember? Most people hate that cops are revenue generators for the area that they work, and most are thuggish people who play mind games to try and corner you.

Should people be afraid of cops, or should people go about their business when cops are around? IMO, people should go about their business. Do they? No.

Here is a simple test. Next time you come across a state trooper or a speed trap, watch how many people slam on their breaks . . . even if they are going the speed limit. Tell me, why is that the case?

I have learned that actually being truthful and compliant is way easier and gets me out of more tickets then being a jerk.

Indeed. But you can be truthful and nice, and still know and assert your rights.

As for generating revenue, you really think a police department generates enough to support itself?

No. Most of the money collected gets split between the state, county, and city. They city money usually goes into the general funds to get distributed where it is needed.

That still does not negate the fact that citations are a revenue stream . . . a supplement to the tax revenue of the city/county/state. As little as that revenue may be, it is still extra income which the governmental entity did not have before.

By the way. I am an ex-officer. I was a municipal officer for 5 years, and received a few awards and commendations during that time. I resigned one year after becoming a sergeant. I resigned on my own terms, because I did not agree with the direction that law enforcement has taken.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I can't say I fully agree or disagree with most on this.

The reality is that, cops are just as human as anyone else. This means you are going to have good and bad ones. Cops having a good day, and ones that are having bad days, etc. I've dealt with both good and bad. I actually had one essentially threaten me and call me a liar straight to my face in my own home. - evidently women would never lie and all guys are just dirtbags who would never tell the truth. I didn't have any way of knowing they were coming so imagine my surprise at the visit I received while watching TV in my living room.

Some neighbor a few houses down had called them with some BS story which, in the end, could only turn into their word against mine and my mother's (so I had a witness who fully corroborated my story, and she only had her lie). I was extremely polite and answered all his questions to which I got returned at the end with him telling me that he knows I'm full of # and that he will 'get' me.

Even with his sudden and unwarranted burst of anger, I calmly replied to him saying that I was sorry he felt that way, but that I'd like him to please get off my property and leave. So he replied with another threat of how he would leave, but not because I told him to and that when he came back he was going to enjoy cuffing me and throwing me into the back of his car. My response was "good luck with that and have a nice day".

Other than that it just really erks me when I see them breaking the law. I once got pulled over for not wearing my seatbelt (which I personally think is constitutionally questionable since it's my life to protect or not) and the officer pulled an illegal u-turn in the middle of an intersection without his lights on. He pulled up behind me at the next stop sign and didn't even turn on his lights until I turned out into the next intersection. Then there's all the cops speeding 15-20mph over the limit without their lights on (which is authorized only if they are responding to a call, but when I see them pull into a gas station for coffee or next to their buddy to 'window chat' that ain't an emergency call)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join