It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Piss Off A Police Officer By Knowing Your Rights

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Nice avatar, i see you like blindside.

But to the OP, police can do whatever they want if you don't have a camera rolling. Their word is always going to come before yours.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
How is asking to see some ID an abuse of powers? The police have every right to ask for identification if they have any reasonable suspicion something may be going on.

If you have nothing to hide, just show them your ID and move on. Why is it necessary to make a big deal out of it?

Just for attention I think.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I would have to argue a bit on this one. I mean this video here is a prime example of what happens when you piss of a cop knowing your rights or not. There is absolutely nothing illegal about flipping off a cop or even going up to one and doing what this guy did, but he surely suffered for it.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
For one, officers are just that, officers, not lawyers.

But officers should know the laws that they are enforcing.

And why are you getting into situations that involve police and need to know your rights?

One should ALWAYS know their rights. As for getting in situations . . .

There are a multitude of situations where you are doing nothing, but the police get involved. At a cook out, driving your car, walking down the street, just to name a few. You don't always have to breaking the law to have contact with police officers.

Funny how people hate the police but I bet you dial 911 in an emergency.

Responding to emergencies is their job. To protect and to serve, remember? Most people hate that cops are revenue generators for the area that they work, and most are thuggish people who play mind games to try and corner you.

Should people be afraid of cops, or should people go about their business when cops are around? IMO, people should go about their business. Do they? No.

Here is a simple test. Next time you come across a state trooper or a speed trap, watch how many people slam on their breaks . . . even if they are going the speed limit. Tell me, why is that the case?

I have learned that actually being truthful and compliant is way easier and gets me out of more tickets then being a jerk.

Indeed. But you can be truthful and nice, and still know and assert your rights.

As for generating revenue, you really think a police department generates enough to support itself?

No. Most of the money collected gets split between the state, county, and city. They city money usually goes into the general funds to get distributed where it is needed.

That still does not negate the fact that citations are a revenue stream . . . a supplement to the tax revenue of the city/county/state. As little as that revenue may be, it is still extra income which the governmental entity did not have before.

By the way. I am an ex-officer. I was a municipal officer for 5 years, and received a few awards and commendations during that time. I resigned one year after becoming a sergeant. I resigned on my own terms, because I did not agree with the direction that law enforcement has taken.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
when you travel in a passengers seat in a car, you should not be seen has a suspect for nothing, if you are just sitting and minding your own business. Then there is no probable cause for them to whant you to identify your-self by your name, when you comit a crime they do not need your name to arrest you.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by mkkkay
when you travel in a passengers seat in a car, you should not be seen has a suspect for nothing

Unless perhaps someone just reported a car of that description leaving a crime scene perhaps? You can't say for sure why an officer would stop you or ask for something like that.

Again...I don't see the problem in just cooperating and moving on.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
How is asking to see some ID an abuse of powers?

4th Amendment

The police have every right to ask for identification if they have any reasonable suspicion something may be going on.

Yes. It is called stop and identify. You can satisfy this by giving them only your name. You have technically identified yourself.

You are not required to show paper work, unless you are driving.

If you have nothing to hide, just show them your ID and move on. Why is it necessary to make a big deal out of it?

Supporter of the Patriot Act, I see.

Yeah. People who know and try and assert their rights are attention whores.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

How is asking to see some ID an abuse of powers? The police have every right to ask for identification if they have any reasonable suspicion something may be going on.

Since we have nothing to hide, I assume you also believe people should just open up the doors to their home and let any government agent come in and take a look around right?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by mkkkay
when you travel in a passengers seat in a car, you should not be seen has a suspect for nothing

Unless perhaps someone just reported a car of that description leaving a crime scene perhaps? You can't say for sure why an officer would stop you or ask for something like that.

Again...I don't see the problem in just cooperating and moving on.

Have you read my above postin page 1, the police did not know at first that there was empty beer cans in the car, only after searching the car that they saw them, what if we hade no beer... and i just past a double yellow line on the road, we both got pulled out of the window before any... other thing.. what did my frien do?. he like me was wearing only his shorts... no id. no let go...
edit on 20-4-2011 by mkkkay because: not the post above but in the first page.. sorry.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

Not at all.

But what reason is there to assert your rights in these situations? I have the right to free speech and therefore have to right to spew whatever hateful and hurtful things I want...but that doesn't make it right does it?

Just because you have the right to not do something doesn't mean that you have to. Sure I have the right to refuse showing my ID to an officer...but why would I want to? Just to make a point?

Please.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

But what reason is there to assert your rights in these situations?

Seriously???????????

Asserting your rights does not require a reason.

Especially when dealing with a government agent.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I live in fear of the police, and so do millions of other people in just America alone. There are police in other countries who are far worse. Is that "normal" to fear the people who are paid to be protectors? I don't break laws, but that didn't matter where I use to live in a heavy populated city. The police ...revenue rangers.... ruined my driving record, cost me $1000s, and have physically assaulted me for drinking a soda outside a car at McDonald's.

Every time I called the police for something I was suppose to call them for, I always got, "So... what did YOU do wrong?" Then they would ignore the original reason for calling them and start investigating me all of a sudden.

I use to also drink with cops at the local bar. When they get a few in them, they had loose lips, and would tell me, "You know we can do anything we want, right? Be good to us and we're good to you.... mess with us and you'll have us all over you..."
Now you can argue that that is just a few bad apples, but this was half the department, and some I knew were juiced into the local mafia.

But if you guys live in Country Bumkin USA and have 7 cops for 3 towns, then you have no idea what city living is like dealing with these revenue ranger bullies. Experience can't be debunked or argued against, but this system needs to be revamped completely.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

I'd like to check out the second video but it's 45 minutes long man. The first was a little disturbing. People don't know their rights and they need to be reminded sometimes so it can save them in a Police encounter. I see cases of brutality and corruption all the time but very little is ever done about it. Entire forces need to be cleaned of dirty officers. You can imagine what a "decent cop" is up against in a force or brotherhood that is already corrupted. You play along or you leave, dead or alive.

And they kill people in the line of duty all the time. Remember when it was aim for legs or arms and disable the suspect? Now I think its the heart or head regardless of the circumstances and ask questions later. They can always say they felt "threatened."
Police need policing. The elected officials compelled by the citizenry should adjust the situation before "policing" becomes unrecognizable from its original intent and purpose.
To protect and serve. And serving means to address the peoples needs. It does not refer to serving notices, summonses and violation reports.

However, cops are the only ones charged with saving your life in a dangerous situation.
And nobody else pulls the bad guys over.

The reason why your video was disturbing is because I was nervous for the Police officer.
In a few instances recently on the news a Police officer was ambushed and killed instantly during the course of a routine traffic stop. They didn't have a chance.

I wonder if anyone has done a study on how many lives cops actually do save?

If you knew I'll bet you would cut them some slack but
We hardly ever hear of the heroic acts,
the small kindness
and the lives saved
from the actions or efforts of an officer or a force.
If that were more public it might go a ways toward eliminating the "us" and "them" attitude people have toward cops.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

Police have no obligation to protect anyone. To protect and serve is just their little motto to make people think cops have some other primary purpose other than raising revenue for their jurisdiction.

Given that the average police response time is somewhere around 5-7 minutes, how many lives do you think they actually save compared to people who defend themselves successfully?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Cutting them some slack? They are not the Borg, they are individuals and respect should be a mutual consideration based on the individual officer. If an officer shows me no respect whatsoever and is verbally assaulting and threatening to me, I'm not going to respond to that very well, which is what those types usually want from you, gives them an excuse.
Then there's the officers who have their heads on straight.... which is where I live now. Small dept locally, less than 10 officiers patrolling 2 towns. I see now why people say things like, "cut them some slack", because the cops here aren't bad, they seem to be doing what they should be doing and aren't roid rage maniacs.

So while I sit here safe waiting for my driving record to clear up after bombardments of 5mph over the limit & tail light out stops every few months that got my license suspended, I also have to wait for my insurance premiums to go down because of multiple driving violations.
The revenue rangers not only ruin your driving record at their leisure and discretion, but insurance rates jump 200-300% or more after them. Massachusetts wanted me to pay $3500 UP FRONT for car insurance on my $400 Pontiac beater, and insurance in MA is mandatory, or you aren't allowed to drive. Sounds Constitutional to me.
Where I lived in MA, the magistrate and judges played golf with some of the cops and mobbed up politicians, so APPEALS were a joke, the only way to get out of a ticket or fine was to grease the lawyers palms who then whacks it up with the magistrate & judges.... then it gets dismissed. A pay-off, that's how we use to appeal unjustified fines and violations.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

You are preaching to the choir here. I got pulled over for a rolling stop at a vacant stop sign and meanwhile drag racers are leaving skid marks on my street. Unless civil rights leaders take on the police force in any town there is not much that can be done. They are the law. Isn't that right? Are we railing against the wind here or just letting off a little steam? Where I live the response rate is quite a bit better. Totally agree something should be done about corruption, graft and quotas within every police force. Now what should that be? Make this about solutions. We could vent all day.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

The solution would be for the cops themselves to stop enforcing laws every victimless crime on the books. But they get off on the power trip knowing some people fear them.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Well the whole choir doesn't seem to be here, many haven't even seen the same church of corruption that we've attended.

I had to move out of MA because I couldn't afford to drive on their roads anymore, which means I couldn't afford to go to work and pay my mortgage & bills. Not coming to complete stop @ stop signs, 5mph over limit, headlight out, shaky muffler, talking on the cell phone, and getting into an accident that wasn't my fault is what destroyed my driving record and insurance rates.

Black trucks & cars are especially targeted I found. I had a red Firebird for 7 years and never got pulled over, then I bought a 4cyl Toyota pickup, black, and was pulled over once every month or 2 for BS reasons. I had a perfect driving record for 17 yrs until I bought those black trucks. My insurance rate went from $700/yr to $3500 'up front' per year in a matter of a few months. License gets suspended if you have 3 or more moving violations in 1-2 years, so at that rate, everyone in my old town will lose their license at least once, and most have. No one cares, it keeps going on, and people's lives are destroyed financially from it, nevermind what the banks are doing to rob us all.
edit on 20-4-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

Not at all.

But what reason is there to assert your rights in these situations?

If you do not assert your rights, you lose them.

I have the right to free speech and therefore have to right to spew whatever hateful and hurtful things I want...but that doesn't make it right does it?

Perception of right and wrong is not a qualification of asserting your rights.

Just because you have the right to not do something doesn't mean that you have to.

Certainly not. But again, if you do not assert your rights, you lose them.

Sure I have the right to refuse showing my ID to an officer...but why would I want to? Just to make a point?

Please.

To protect your rights?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ViperChili

Police have no obligation to protect anyone. To protect and serve is just their little motto to make people think cops have some other primary purpose other than raising revenue for their jurisdiction.

Given that the average police response time is somewhere around 5-7 minutes, how many lives do you think they actually save compared to people who defend themselves successfully?

You are right. Technically no. In fact it is still being debated by the supreme court in a few domestic abuse cases. "Protect" is used very loosely and so far no one is committing to that obligation. I know they actually do save many lives but I won't argue you have a point with the rest.

Interesting/ legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...

The duties of a police officer on the New York City police force provide an example of what the police do. New York officers are expected to patrol their assigned area, either by car or on foot. They apprehend criminals or crime suspects, stop crimes in progress, and assist people who are in trouble (such as complainants in domestic disputes or emotionally disturbed homeless individuals). They investigate crimes and crime scenes, collect evidence, and interview victims and witnesses. They help find missing persons and handle cases of alleged Child Abuse. They help identify and recover stolen property, and they testify in court as necessary....

...Not accidentally, police departments, especially those in large cities, are compared to military institutions. In fact, the police and the military have a number of goals in common, including discipline, endurance, teamwork, and clearly established procedures for all operations. Even the ranks given police officers are similar to those in the military.

Scary/Protect and Serve The Oath Keepers' extremism in the defense of liberty
reason.com...
And it is not always about the money. They do not all care about revenues. Here are 400 who don't anyway.reason.com...

A major ticket fixing scandal is rocking the NYPD, and as many as 400 cops could face bribery and larceny charges for making tickets disappear in exchange for gifts, according to a report.
Personal favors and gifts are accepted too!

The solution would be for the cops themselves to stop enforcing laws every victimless crime on the books. But they get off on the power trip knowing some people fear them.

Absolutely true but isn't this a judicial matter of a faulty court and criminal justice system we need to change firstly, and then secondly an enforcement issue? They are doing their job. For me, more often than not I have had the cop use discretion and issue a warning rather than do his worst.
edit on 20-4-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join