It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My views on Drug Testing Welfare and Unemployment recipients....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I know that this has been posted on here before but I would like to comment on it from a different perspective. I would like to comment on it from a former drug addicts side. I just recently heard about this so sorry if Im a little late. I was watching the news earlier and they have had it posted up on the news channels all day talking about it. They have been running polls to see what others think about it. Heres some clips from the article I read today...

Sen. Harvey Peeler was at a Chamber of Commerce meeting in January when the human resources director of one of the area’s major employers, textile manufacturer Hamrick Mills, told him the company was having trouble hiring some people from the unemployment rolls.“They said they had potential employees that would come and apply and couldn’t pass the drug test,” Peeler says.Peeler, a Republican who says he heard similar stories from other employers, introduced a bill Feb. 9 that would suspend unemployment checks to people who fail a drug test they must take to get a job.

Legislation on the issue is moving ahead:• A bill is moving through the Arizona Legislature that would require random drug testing of all welfare recipients, Dorsch says. The bill has passed the state Senate and awaits a third and final reading in the House.Rep. F. Jay Barrows of Massachusetts has offered a bill that calls for random testing of people with prior drug convictions who are receiving assistance. If they test positive, the state would place them in a rehab program, under the state’s mandatory health insurance coverage program.

Other states with bills under consideration include Alabama, California, Connecticut, Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, New Mexico, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia, Dorsch reports.
...LINK

Being a former addict myself I do believe in screening people that recieve welfare for drugs before allowing them access to benefits. I have seen first hand how addicts abuse what is given them. I have seen people that recieve food stamps for drugs. I have personnaly bought food stamps from others at half price and then they took the money to purchase what is needed. I believe if they werent on drugs they wouldnt need the assitance to begin with. Like it says in the article,offer state funded rehab for those people who need it and are looking to recieve benefits. That way if they dont choose to get clean and stay that way afte recieving the help then it wouldnt be right to give those the help of welfare. And forthose that chosse to take the rehab and prove they can stay off drugs and they still need the help then I think that it still she be thought out carefully before deciding whether or not to give them welfare or not. The taxpayers shouldnt have to pay for others mistakes and problems. People have enough of their own problems and matters to pay for...

Now when it comes to Unemployment and whether or not the people recieving it should be drug tested in order to recieve the benefits, I believe that it should be the same as welfare. Even if the people were layed off,if they have a drug problem and all theyre gonna do is waste the money on drugs then they should be cut off from benefits until they can at least prove that they can get off drugs so they will be able to find a job instead of living off unemployment and relying on others,taxpayers,to pay for their habits. Offer the help to tem and if they dont wnt it then too bad for them..
The reason I say this is because I myself was using my unemployment towards my addiction and I figured that if I was going to keep getting money for it for free then why bother finding a job. But now since I have been clean I see it in a different way and realize that its not others responsibility to pay for others needs or bad habits...I just recently got a new job and I know I dont want my money going to somebody that is like the way I was...
I know it doesnt sound fair...Why did I get a chance to live off others but now I dont want the same for others like me? Because if these drug addicts keep getiing things handed to them they will never wake up to realize what really needs to be done in their lives...

I wanna know what others think about whether or not they should pass this in every state...Whether youre former addicts or just normal everyday taxpayers having to pay others way...It would be nice to hear from others their opinions on this matter

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I agree and good to see you beat it.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I'm glad for you sir! Your first hand account proves how the abuse of the system is common place. I have also witnessed this type of behavior myself. I can not agree more that the taxpayer should not be "stuck" with the bill for the poor judgement of others. Before i am flammed .... I also think welfare should be there to help people out of a tough spot... not for them to create a life to live off it.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I've said it before; this would work if addiction wasn't considered a 'disability'.

The end result of this drug testing will be the people having to pay more - because now the poor folks aren't on welfare, they are on disability. Addicts are 'disabled'...

That is why they don't drug test in Canada, methinks.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I agree that in principal it is a good idea. The problem is if any of these people have knowledge of when they will be tested, they will most likely beat the system. We all know there are cheap VERY effective ways to pass drug tests. Are they 100% effective? Of course not, but they work a majority of the time if done correctly. I'm in no way condoning this and like I said, I do like the idea. I would just hate to see our tax dollars paying for drug tests that can easily be beat by anyone with a few dollars and a little know-how.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

I agree with SirMike: its awesome you kicked. reading the OP i can see a glimmer of sanity, as they are molding it to appear they give a damn and will get past offenders help. that is commendable. on the other hand, politicians toss more shiat than a crew of stable boys; can't believe what they say. because we can see that feel good help someone facade quickly mushroom to everybody pee in the cup.

having read stories from back in the 1960's about fbicia -m-o-u-s-e flooding Your Town USA with addictive hard drugs for fun & profit, along with a lot of stories of Law Enforcement getting a share of the pie, makes me want to yell shenanigans. hard addictive drugs are being placed into our society, into easy access of our population. here's your problem, heres your solution.

if our fearless leaders gave a damn about hard addictive drugs in America they would do something about it. we all know the war on drugs is a self-serving dog & pony show that has minimum effect at maximum cost. its like the IRS going after waitresses for tip money while the corporate billionaire whores don't chip in squat. its bs.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

I fully disagree with messing with unemployment recipient's,that money is pulled from your paycheck, every week, and then the state steals from this money, that is not supposed to be touched, and some of you poster's shouLd know what your talking about before you spout off! now when you get welfare you are just like a prisener,only free but you now have a number! and have to report to your case worker,who by law can enter your dwelling,unlike unemployment.I know ceo,s who do drug's then lagh about the folks that cant pass a test, they call them loser's, funny eh, idont think so i make space between aholes like that but pep's like all of you hater's want a PRISON PLANET1WELL SO BE IT YOU DAMN FOOL'S.
edit on 19-4-2011 by ibegood2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-4-2011 by ibegood2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
While I am happy for your sobriety, I disagree with having more people submit to drug screening. The united states is a drug culture. Be it prescription or illicit, the amount of drugs consumed here on a daily basis is staggering. The we'll to do have physicians to deal them drugs, the not so well to do have other means. Our parents, grandparents, kids, dogs and cats all have drugs. I think it is descriminatory to deny somebody help based on habits. The government isn't against drug use, as long as you are using their drugs which kill more people per year than all illegal drugs combined. It is slight of hand politics at its ugliest.. I smoke weed because I don't trust prescription anxiety, depression, insomnia medication. I wish hard drugs would disappear, but big pharma makes much harder drugs. It is just more opression by the us government. I would rather give my tax dollars to addicts than where its going now.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
i also believe that at least for welfare assistance that people should have to at least have to pass a drug test in order to recive assitance..theres too many abusing it now at it is

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
So now they’re going after the unemployed, claiming they’re on drugs too. ! Unbelievable! Someone should drug test these politicians, really. It should be a requirement to hold office if they think it’s ok to test everybody else.

I also think there should be cameras placed all over the offices in DC.

What's good for the goose should be good for the gander.

WTF up..............two sets of rules.

Who is working for who?

They play - we pay and we sleep deeply.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by danamae23

How about testing the good old boys in DC, ya know the ones we're paying their salary, medical and retirement benefits the majority of us can only dream about.

WTF up.

I volunteer at a homeless shelter and sorry, most people on food stamps can't afford the drugs that hollywood and politicians do.................do some research and stop drinking the corporate kool aide.

new topics

top topics

join