It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your tax dollars at work: Public program provides "superheo capes" to the unemployed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I think this qualifies as political madness. What nitwit is behind this idea, which serves no purpose other than to demean the out-of-work and waste public money at a time when budget deficits have never been grimmer? The campaign cost $73,000 of taxpayer money. Now, I know with all the zillions and trillions being blown on the too-big-to-fail crowd, 73K is small beer in comparision, but I think most people would agree that the money could have and should have been better spent.

Just another example of watse, incompetence, and bungling. I wonder if this is a make-work project to justify the unnecessary employement of certain state officials themselves?

State labor officials asked their inspector general Monday to investigate why a Central Florida agency wants to spend public money to furnish the unemployed with capes.

Dubbed the "Cape-A-Bility Challenge," a $73,000 public-relations campaign by Workforce Central Florida features a cartoon character named "Dr. Evil Unemployment" and includes handing out about 6,000 red superhero capes to jobless Central Floridians.

The campaign, revealed Saturday in a report in the Orlando Sentinel, was met with derision by many unemployed who questioned spending more than $14,200 on capes and $2,300 on foam cutouts of "Dr. Evil Unemployment." They said the campaign's tone risked minimizing the severity of the region's labor problems.

Monday, the executive director of Florida's Agency for Workforce Innovation, echoed those criticisms.

"I have serious concerns with the content and approach" of the project, Cynthia Lorenzo wrote to Workforce Central Florida Executive Director Gary J. Earl. "With more than one million Floridians currently out of work, spending any amount of money on collateral materials such as the red capes included in your campaign appears to be insensitive and wasteful."

More at source:
www.orlandosentinel.com...

edit on 4/19/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
my suggestion is we keep and save the capes.
After the Revolution, we dress TPTB in them.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
considering they were homeless i am sure they didnt want those capes back.

stupidity is right all they do is just throw money at people and say" mission accomplished" pat themselves on the back to make themselves feel better.

what an insane waste of taxpayer $$

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Isn't this already posted?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Well, let's at least hope he spent the money locally.

But I think the worse crime is the way dimwits like this treat us--or, more accurately, the unemployed--like retarded children. How the hell he thinks this idiocy "engages" the unemployed--and, even if it did, how it's supposed to be of any practical help--is quite beyond my capacity....

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
my suggestion is we keep and save the capes.
After the Revolution, we dress TPTB in them.

Then can we take them all to Spain and throw them all in the middle of the Plaza de la Maestranza ? Can we please? Please? PLEASE?
edit on 19-4-2011 by WTFover because: Where is that spellcheck button? Oh, there it is!

top topics

join