It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was this Bronze item used for?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
This time period, 1st-3rd century AD saw quite a bit of automatons and simple robotics especially as religions competed with each other to draw in patronage. There were quite a bit of research in magnetics, fluid dynamics, using steam and fluid displacement to create automated mechanical motion.
People of the day saw these machines as magic or indications or Holy presence, and would contribute funds for the church or temples that had these mechanical devices.

There were quite a few water powered simple robotics constructed, usually statues made of wood and brass plate that moved, poured measured cups of water, opened doors, and other simple acts.

Being made of Bronze, i would guess this served as rudimentary measuring device immersed in water, clicking away measures of fluid or movement of statue and in turn setting up the next movement along the camshaft. There are no splines on the internal surface so it could not take much mechanical pressure, however if on a wooden shaft the wood would swell enough to solidly lock this tool in place for minor measuring service or measuring distance.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Hehe I took the picture with a white piece of paper under it
. But I really don't know any other details about it. Everything I know is in my first post.

Yes it was a bit dusty, not sure how it looked when they got it out of the ground.

Anyway, check out the link :
www.ancientresource.com...

That's it right there! A piece of a flagellum punishing instrument.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Topato
reply to post by Byrd

Hehe I took the picture with a white piece of paper under it
. But I really don't know any other details about it. Everything I know is in my first post.

Yes it was a bit dusty, not sure how it looked when they got it out of the ground.

Hmm. How'd you get ahold of it, anyway?

Anyway, check out the link :
www.ancientresource.com...

That's it right there! A piece of a flagellum punishing instrument.

Pretty cool! Never saw one before.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Gift from a friend. Even he didn't know though.

Now that I've looked online, turns out lots of people sell similar stuff, even on Ebay and other online stores and websites, mostly Roman/Byzantine/Celtic coins, rings, fibulae, stuff like that usually. Neat stuff.
edit on 21-4-2011 by Topato because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join