It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was this Bronze item used for?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Does anyone know what this bronze item might have been used for? Actually, WHAT is it?

I have checked google and sellers of ancient items of bronze, iron etc. but have not found anything similar to this. I mean I don't even really know what to search for because I don't know what it's called. Time period is somewhere around 1st - 3rd century A.D.

Thanks in advance.

MEASUREMENTS: 18 mm x 31 mm.

edit on 19-4-2011 by Topato because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
looks like a piece that would go on a tiller. To churn up the soil for farming?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Ancient garden weasel? Does this mean our ancestors had their own annoying Billy Mays shouting at them to purchase this thing?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by chancemusky

That would be my guess too

Or perhaps part of a pulley to work as a gear

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Topato

Some idea of scale might be helpful too.

Knowing their mechanical aptitude (eg: the Antikythera mechanism) I think this would be a gear.

I'm assuming it is Greek but I just realised that there is nothing in the post that identified it as such.
edit on 19/4/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
It looks like a well stop. For when the bucket was up to the top a wooden pin would hold it, while the user was handling the water bucket.

Doesn't have a ruler to measure so its a guess.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Topato

Can you give us a link to more information on this, or the dimensions of it?

To me, appears obvious that it's a gear & winch/pulley mechanism of some sort - knowing the size would help. The hole in center would be for some sort of mount post/axle, and the groove between the two teethed edges would be for a rope/cable.

Looks like would be part of a device that pulls rope to rotate it, causing the teeth to turn gears or the like on both sides.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Just realised, it's a hexal-sprocket sparval vane!

Took me a while because the dingle arm wasn't attached (you need the dingle arm to prevent sinusoidal pleneration).

edit on 19/4/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
MEASUREMENTS: 18 mm x 31 mm.

Sorry completely forgot to include those. But yeah, relatively small.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Without some size reference I can only speculate but if it's about the size of a fist it could be the head for a mace or scepter of some kind.

Then again if its small it could be a bobble on a necklace...

EDIT: ok scratch the mace then - likely a representation of the sun on some necklace or something.
edit on 19/4/2011 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Topato

Ah, in that case...

Exactly what I said, but designed for and used by the Lilliputians from Gulliver's Travels.

Either that or it's just a small, fancy thread spool for old-school high-class ladies that could afford that type of work.

FINE, I'll shut up now. Anyone else got any bright ideas.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Based on wear marks on it I am going guess that it some kind of cog used to adjust the speed of some manner of primative machinery. Perhaps a grainery pestle with it's grinding stone driven by horse or water wheel?
edit on 19-4-2011 by Fiberx because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
While I dont know what this item is I do not think it is part of any sort of mechanical device. The workmanship tells me its some sort of adornment.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

Or maybe a primitive electromagnetic gigaflux reactivator?

www.wowhead.com...=9492/electromagnetic-gigaflux-reactivator

Just throwing fun words around

edit on 19-4-2011 by Topato because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Topato

Or maybe a primitive electromagnetic gigaflux reactivator?

www.wowhead.com...=9492/electromagnetic-gigaflux-reactivator

Just throwing fun words around

No I think gigaflux rectivator would have more of a heptadic choro-resonance cavity visible inward of the fonduli, so I think that is ruled out.

I'm still going with the sparval vane, however I can see why you may have concluded that, with all the corrosion that has probably occurred.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
it's the first fishing reel

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
maybe its a ancient game peice they used to make a move on a gameboard..Im just guessing

was probley used as a part to a pully..

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Maybe an earring.

Ask somebody who works at a piercing shop and see if it matches the sort of size one would expect for the kinds of earrings that create big ear holes. I'm not into that stuff, but I think the hole would be big but not unusually big for a busy shop these days. I have no idea about the width though, as in if it's too wide or not, but a piercer would know.

I'm not sure about the sun or star shape being on both sides. That might actually be the more interesting thing to get a piercing shop worker's opinion on.

It seems like from wiki that bronze is a plausible material for a piercing at least:

en.wikipedia.org...

Also, bronze in general is fairly resistant to sea water corrosion, so it wouldn't be a bad choice for an ancient sea farer. Yarrrrrrrr.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   

I know who you are, Dont even try to deny it. You are that guy at the oil change place that tried to sell me some headlight fluid and windshield wiper timing gears. You are soooooo busted.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Topato

This is strange but I'm going with

Annunaki French Tickler?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join