It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

About being a full-time Ufologist

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Am cool with this being moved wherever's best, I just thought this forum seemed right.

I'm planning on getting into Ufology, as in properly. What I'm wondering is : how would I be able to do that full time? Would I have to try getting funding from people that are interested in Ufology and have loads of cash? Write a book? Make a website that somehow sorted me out with enough income in some way?

Surely there's others around here that have thought of the same thing, so I'm just asking for ideas. Thanks if anyone can help. I know some of you will say it can't be done, there's no money in Ufology, etc, but if I'm a straight up researcher and wanting to make a living from doing that research, it has to be possible.

If I ever manage it, the downside will be that 90% of the people that know what I work as will think I'm a nutcase, but 90% of the people I know probably think that already, so I may as well just go for it.

Any Aliens out there that can hook me up with some cash? Or should I go into the bank next week with a business plan that includes Roswell and Black triangles?
edit on 19-4-2011 by Hitoshura because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
get a good hd camera, a tent and camp supplies, research on the net the top ufo hot spots in the world and go to them in search of filming them.

there a many hot spots in remote south american countries where you can spend a few months cheaply and investigate reports.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
get a good hd camera, a tent and camp supplies, research on the net the top ufo hot spots in the world and go to them in search of filming them.

there a many hot spots in remote south american countries where you can spend a few months cheaply and investigate reports.

Could be an idea if I ever get any cash sorted. Will make sure to buy a tripod too to avoid any annoying shaky-cam footage.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Put a mask on. Make a vid saying your an alien from the zeta reticuli section and hang on youtube

All jokes aside. Do research and find out things, have to go out and grind it out to get info and more info.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma
Do research and find out things, have to go out and grind it out to get info and more info.

Will do if I go for it, but looking at this thread it looks like I'll have to be unpaid for quite a while and fund myself through other work. Good thread for anyone else interested, only found it after doing a google search though : www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Hitoshura

No problem! A couple of ideas:

* Hitch your caboose to Greer's gravy train and just go along for the ride picking up the cast-off dregs and morsels. There will be plenty of leftovers even after he milks the crowd for a few more touchy-feely dollars in the mountains.

* Invent an outrageous abduction story, and then go pay a visit to that hypnotist-guy (Budd Hopkins), and plant a few credibility seeds in his tape recorder. He'll be your endorser, gush eloquently about what a great "case" you are - and the book and movie deals will follow. Tip: Include some probe talk. Everyone like to hear about the probe!

* Do as Linda Moulton Howe do!: Tackle every related alien/UFO topic with sincere, doe-eyed sound bites. Leave no stone unturned - cattle mutations, drones, parapsychologicaltelepathic communications, yadda yadda. Just throw everything at the wall - eventually something will stick and you'll make a few bucks.

* Be Carl Sagan II: Go back to school, get a PhD (of course, if you are presently lacking in the formal education department you'll need a bachelors, and maybe a masters first). Astronomy, Cosmology, Astrophysics - anything that will lend credibility and prevent people from calling your ideas "quack science".

* Emulate Stanton Friedman: Here's a guy who has no PhD but sure can talk like one! Take some public speaking lessons and then hit the love-fest, er, I mean, UFO Trade Show circuit. Of course it help$ if you have a book or at least a monologue printed and bound up to peddle during and after the show! Stan's a real pro - and a lifer! He's been doing this shtick for so long he commands top speaking fees now and won't even consider a convention or event unless he has his whole trip 'comped" and all expenses paid. He's my idol. He really turned infatuation (I mean "research") into a career in a marvelous way. Good for him.

* Spend a little up-front (in terms of lots of time and wads of cash) and create a killer UFO website that goes far beyond the cheezy redundant blogs rampant out there. Elevate your Google listing to the top 5 at least (this will take more savvy -and cash), then generate millions of hits any way you can (offer contests, cash, whatever it takes). When the hits come in, subtly and serendipitously change your M.O. from a site "for the little people" to one for profit - as in sell your soul to advertisers willing to pay you for the eyeballs coming to your site. This will definitely work (do I get a cut?).

* Compile all of your research (or the "best" stuff anyway) into a tome, find an agent, play hard-to-get for a while (I mean you DO have unique, exclusive 'research' unavailable elsewhere, right?), and then - BAM! Our next Timothy Goode!

Ok - that should get your gears going. When you're rich and famous (or at least able to eat daily and put a little gas in the car) via your 'new career', please come back here to ATS (see web-idea above
) and let us know how you've made out. If the Amigos can do it - why can't you?!

Making a living off the UFO/Alien enigma is difficult, but definitely NOT impossible. It's already a multi-million dollar annual revenue enterprise. Just pick a spot on the bridge - and jump in! Go get 'em Dude! (er, Dudette?
)

Good Luck, my friend! And keep looking up!!
edit on 4/19/2011 by Outrageo because: typo

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Outrageo

Hah, cheers! And it's dude so you got it right. There's plenty of ideas there anyway, any that include making stuff up I can't do, but will have a think about whatever else is there and already in other posts. I couldn't have a site littered with ads either, but would think about having sponsored sections for other links, etc, and maybe link to books that I think are among the best on amazon or whatever. As long as people can still use the site properly and aren't being distracted. That's actually how I've been thinking about starting, with a site, then gradually work away on twitter and other networks. Will hopefully do that for a few months, and if I get a good enough site going see where I am at that point.

Thanks for the ideas all.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

sorry to say this but there is very liitle way to sstain yourself full time of ufology, only once were university professer paid to do this, at best try to write a books and you migth be able to do something but most of the actual money for reaserch either comes out of that persons poket or mr they may in some cases be able to get work with a tv network(ufo hunter, fact or faked). being paid to reaserch ufos would probasbly be my dream job but it probably wont happen anytime soon

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

O..... K..... Hitoshura

First: Are you serious about this?

Second: Would you give a basic outline of any background you have? Any disciplines? how old ( abouts ) and what you have to invest in this... not only money wise, yet time wise etc....

Third: After that I'll have more to contribute... maybe! lol

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

great post......starred you.....

to the OP.....don't do it.....

UNLESS you're filthy stinking rich.......this is the only way......You'll have to spend your own money, and dedicate your life....

Otherwise, the only way to be a 'successful UFOlogist' is to lie to people....

totally not worth it.....

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

my advice is get a normal job, work hard and save and do ufology on the side until you learn the business side of it and can make a living. By becoming financially successful outside in the 'real' world it will give you much more money to put into ufo research, time = money too and you gota work to afford to be able to take time of when you need to research. You will be able to live from ufology, but it might take a while to get things moving and make it a viable option financially. Im planning on doing a similar thing with music or film, funding my passion with a mainstream job that pays better until I can break into the industry at a higher level.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Just make sure you always have a towel.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Serafine

O..... K..... Hitoshura

First: Are you serious about this?

Second: Would you give a basic outline of any background you have? Any disciplines? how old ( abouts ) and what you have to invest in this... not only money wise, yet time wise etc....

Third: After that I'll have more to contribute... maybe! lol

I'm totally serious about it. It's either Ufology or The Paranormal as a whole, and I'm going to have to go for it. I'm 32 next month so I don't have time to mess around wondering with it any longer basically. Once I've picked exactly what I'm doing I'm going for it with everything. I'll spend all my time learning, getting stuff sorted like a website, etc, then I'm just going to start looking around for funding. I'll honestly go around contacting all types of people if I have to, I'll even seek out rich people that are known to have an interest if I have to and figure out reasons why they should see it worthwhile funding me. It's either this or nothing now, because my heart's not in anything else.

I've messed around trying to get into all other types of things, but this is something that I've been interested in since I was about 7-10 years old I think, when I'd read a huge book of all types of paranormal stuff at my Grandparents house on weekends. (Spring Heeled Jack is one that really sticks out in memory from that book because he was just such a weird character, have got to get back to researching that guy!)

The thing that held me back for so long was thinking I'd be an outcast if I came out and said this is what I wanted to do, but I've spent that much time cut off from people researching this type of stuff on and off recently that I've actually turned myself into an outcast already. So there's nothing to lose now.

All that's left to do is decide whether or not I go for being a Paranormal or UFO Researcher. It's going to be one of those things. In fact it already IS both of those things, I just don't get paid, but I'll either get paid eventually or die trying from here on out. I couldn't ever resort to researching or reporting crap/hoaxes either, because I couldn't live with myself, so don't think I'm talking that level of desperation. If it ever works it'll be straight up research. Would rather fail honestly than succeed with lies.

And sorry, ranting because I can't sleep...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Like others have said, you'e going to have to establish some credibility first. That means buying equipment out pocket and paying travel fees out of to investigate actual sightings. Of course you have to have a job that both pays well enough and gives you time off whenever you need it. Once you have some credibility and some investigations and research under your belt you can try writing a book and lecturing. You might also be able to attract customers to a paying website.

It's something I've considered doing also. I'm not wealthy but do have a substantial trust fund income. First it was kids living at home that stopped me. Now it's elderly parents stopping me. I'm nearing 60 so it may not happen but if I'm still able to when I no longer have obligations keeping me home I may try it. My wife says she is OK with it as long as we have a comfortable RV and combine sight seeing with UFO research. It's a pipe dream now but one with a real chance of happening.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Ufology is not a profession. At best, it is a form of entertainment. They pay is ridiculously low for the hours you would put in, but then again your putting in those hours now I bet. But you will not earn big dollars, and you wont be able to actually investigate things without serious money, which means you better be a damn good saleman with solid credentials and a proven track record in order to get funding.

So, that being said, go for it, lol. Not.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Connect with people who are established, as they have the better equipment and experience. They can show you around. Work toward owning your own equipment(requires income unless you have some for it), etc., and educate yourself as much as possible(various subjects about aliens/ UFOs, equipment use...)...as a start.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   

I must admit "Spring Heeled Jack" was quite a phenomena.. British in more ways than one.. lol The behavior seemed so.... British! lol

ok.... Here's some advice... some already mentioned by Dreamingawake

Originally posted by dreamingawake

Connect with people who are established, as they have the better equipment and experience. They can show you around. Work toward owning your own equipment(requires income unless you have some for it), etc., and educate yourself as much as possible(various subjects about aliens/ UFOs, equipment use...)...as a start.

and also Wasco2

Originally posted by wasco2

Once you have some credibility and some investigations and research under your belt you can try writing a book and lecturing. You might also be able to attract customers to a paying website.

My wife says she is OK with it as long as we have a comfortable RV and combine sight seeing with UFO research. It's a pipe dream now but one with a real chance of happening.

The website is a good idea, yet there's some things to consider. As time goes on a website, your site, will be a record of your work. Be careful of what you put on it, try to resist using "filler"... make it grow brick by brick and line by line... If that makes sense!

The "credibility" will be instant... once you endeavor to do such "work"... you are as good as your word. Don't EVER value "credibility" from others. Keep your eye on the work.... a sort of "Never put the cart before the horse" protocol and rule.

There's a few things involved here that I'd like to suggest. One is that you don't need "credible" schooling / degrees etc... yet!!!! I suggest you learn or re-learn a few things.

1. Logical Fallacies ( a comprehensive understanding ) ... in fact have a copy of such material at hand.

2. Journalism ( this won't take long ) ... learn journalism and investigative journalism, not to be a "writer", but to learn "how" to think and research and coordinate your work.

3. As Dreamingawake mentioned Research, Research, Research... get MORE then a basic understanding of all material on this topic, and relative topics.. You mentioned "Paranormal" ... psychic phenomena is inherent in UFO phenomena and research. Read and own all the UFO books you can get... and watch out for internet / google education! lol

The hardcopy of all this material is essential... don't ask me why... we'll need another Thread!

Another Dreamingawake suggestion... the "equipment" is a must... This will make for a great book for you to write, after you've sussed it all out... the cameras and sound recorders ... more than one type ( analogue and digital ) .. something as simple as Faraday cages.... to protect various equipment or even vehicles etc, from electromagnetic pulses... filming or photographing is NOT easy.... especially at night... Some knowledge and preparation and forethought will make your work "supreme" in quality... see? even to 5 different types of cameras... a 3D Camera would work wonders!

Wasco2 mentioned "My wife..." Now this is very important! lol.... Do you have a wife or friend? Will you do this "alone"? are you prepared to have a partner helping? ... or work "with" others... because I will give you a secret here... ah..... yea I will... here...

Once you get the ball rolling man... it rolls... have active patience though... make haste "slowly"... But once the ball is rolling it rolls... you WILL meet people.. you will meet "top" people in the field... None of it is an ego thing... at least NEVER let become so for YOU... But you will meet the people and fit right in... It's not like some dream that needs to come true... it will quickly become like "normal" everyday life! lol

as in... This how you do it.. this is how it's done... it's the work...

Another thing about the website.... have mirrored sites... have your site on a few servers... mirror them. also... have a site that is NOT PUBLIC... This is for your own storage purposes...

Now.... here comes some real bit... Learn about p r firms... about psychological ops... not the "Conspiracy spurious crap you know... but the REAL THING... Learn how these things work... because you WILL come against it... You will be dealing in a field that is born and bred for such intrigue. Learn about security... how to think as THEY think... not how the average person thinks see? Most people NEVER consider such things... they think a camera or film in a locked car is safe... that's NORMAL thinking .. lol... It is NOT safe! see?

I hope you understand I'm not speaking of "paranoia" at all... I'm speaking of wisdom and experience and being SERIOUS.... those screaming, paranoid!, are jesters or amateurs and file them as such... they are NOT serious. In fact they'll be trouble. It's a serious business... but as someone stated,... it's not a business.. it's a work.

Having a partner in all this will make it brilliant and much better... for both of you. Writing will be the result... a sort of "publishing" your work / results.... You write it or someone else etc ( or film a documentary )... but it's the product of your work... remember, the horse is the work and the cart is where the MONEY goes... never put the cart before the horse... and for gods sake don't film any documentaries like Michael Moore! He's a comedian and NOT a real documentary maker.... grrrrr ( Never take short-cuts, fabricate or make things up ) you will ruin all you've built for a short-cut.

I can add more, but will let this settle.. we can continue later if it so happens...

oh! and another thing... Good Luck!

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Seriously... become a tenured prof. of Physics, Astronomy etc. and spend grant money researching UFO's on the side. It is not accepted as a major science and most players in the game sell books or volunteer for mufon. I would contact your mufon local chapter see how things work and set aside time to work with an investigator. Being a ufologist for most is a hobby honestly because they have an interest. I am estabishing a web site that is sort of a community that focuses on ufology subject matters and when it's live I will be using it as a tool for my own personal research.... networking internationally and building a case file database. If i find anything significant I will pass it on.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
At this time in history, Ufology is as credible as "Unicornlogy", or "Leprechaunology", so I wouldn't recommend it. Though ppl tend to believe in religions too, so who Am I to say, do whatever.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Spot on Outrageo

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join