It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reason why You SHOULD BELIEVE IN GOD

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ztruthseeker
Pascals wager has been refuted over and over again...

But it has not been refuted by any one in hell, has it?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Religion was fabricated by man, in order to control man.

I have no shepherd, I am not a sheep.

God will get thrown out of office when I die (if he does exist), if there is a God, personally I want to hit him and make him live here in this s**t hole of a planet.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrJelly
If you are a logical person, it follows that you will believe in GOD. Here is the reason.

So we assign points to each category.
Believing in God= BG
Not Believing in God= NBG
GOd Exists= GOD
GOD DOESNT EXIST= NG

1)So if there is a GOD and you BELIEVE IN GOD what happens? You go to church and miss having fun on sundays and dont kill or rape(sin) but you go to heaven for eternity. So the equation would be as follows
GOD(god exists) +BG (you believe in god)= 1000 points (eternal heaven)

You guys follows that. No we do another equation that god doesnt exist
2)god doesnt exist, you believe in god what happens? you miss out on sunday football, miss out on all the sins and when you die nothing happens, no judgment so you missed out on all the fun you wanted to have.
NO GOD (NG) + BG(believe in GOD)= -200 point (made no difference)

I gave this last one -200 points because you missed out on all the fun. BUT since there is no judgment in can not match ETERNAL HEAVEN.

3) GOD (god exists) +NBG(no believe in god)= -500 points (eternity in hell)
I gave this negative 500 points coz you end up spending forever in HELL. HOWEVER, you do have all the fun of commiting as many sins as you want and never having to go to church and so on. SO there is an upside to this.

4)N0 GOD (NG) +NO BELIEVE= 200 points (no judgment but you had fun)

So what Im saying is simple. Any logical, betting man would go ahead and be religious because what your GIVING UP (sins, sundays, etc) is well worth the outcome (ETERNAL HEAVEN).
EVEN if give up all those things and there is NO GOD, it does not compare to eternal heaven or eternal hell.

*I understand there are different faiths and the idea of which one to follow and so on but hey, its a start.
Oh you can go ahead and make your chart and add whatever points you want to it. but it will still come out the way this did.
Also, at the end of the day, there is just as much chance of a god as there is no chance of a god
Jelly

Wait wait wait.....why not just go straight to heaven...?

I mean....if god sent us here..with two possible options (Those being heaven or hell), doesnt that show a sign of insecurity? If "god" IS real then he is showing clear signs of himself not being confident in his work. He sends us here first so that we can be "judged".

But the thing is....."god" (if he is real) is all mighty. So why not just send us straight to the real deal. Screw earth.

Why give us a chance to sin.....ooh gods a naughty boy.

edit on 20-4-2011 by mthgs602 because: More info

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by infojunkie2

Originally posted by amaster
reply to post by MrJelly

You think it makes perfect LOGICAL sense to spend your life in devotion to a magical mystical being who promises happiness or hell? Do you believe in unicorns and fairys too? Or how about aliens and ghosts?

makes a lot more sense than believing that feeble humans who can't even keep up with their car keys, are supposedly God them selves, or that humans used to be tad poles

Hey, I believe in what I can see, and so far, I've seen far more convincing evidence for evolution than I have for the existance of a magical god, but thats just my opinion.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by infojunkie2

reply to post by MrJelly

You think it makes perfect LOGICAL sense to spend your life in devotion to a magical mystical being who promises happiness or hell? Do you believe in unicorns and fairys too? Or how about aliens and ghosts?

makes a lot more sense than believing that feeble humans who can't even keep up with their car keys, are supposedly God them selves, or that humans used to be tad poles

Hey, I believe in what I can see, and so far, I've seen far more convincing evidence for evolution than I have for the existance of a magical god, but thats just my opinion.

Why can't God and evolution co-exist?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by the_denv

That's a pretty messed up way of looking at life and I know because I was there for a long time until I started to see something horrible about reality. When you start to give up because things get worse and worse you swiftly start to recognize that you can be controlled by something out there even when you think you're making your own choices. Choice is an illusions at least from what I can see.

Then again maybe I'm just an unfortuante soul that stepped into an evil trap and not educated enough to find the way out. Whatever the case when you know what being crucified is really about then tell me there is nothing out there like a god or devil. It's friggin depressing as hell seeing something guide you around but not knowing f it's guiding you into misery and suffering or if it's resisting that causes the suffering. You will know one day when you all solve it, if you haven't already and know of me who fell a long way for 20+ years.

ORION IS HORRIBLE!

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

In my mind they do, I just happen to call my god "Mother Nature". I don't prey to her or beg her for salvation or worship at her alter. I simply exist by her will, and when I die, my energy, my soul, will be reunited with the soul of the planet. I'm content enough with my simple existance to not require the grand promises of some man made god.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by amaster

Nature is a part of God my friend... As are you and i and everything else.

Nature is just how things work in the physical realm

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
In my case, I have been able to decipher enough of the allegoric code that is employed throughout the Bible to eliminate any possible doubt as to the Bible's true nature. I know for a fact it is a fraud and therefore it cannot represent the will of a supreme being (in a literal sense as the uninitiated understand it). So, if I did choose to believe in a god, I would have no idea how he would like me to act. Most other religions also employ variations of this allegoric code, so I would find no real guidance in them either.

My thinking is that, if the miracle of man requires a creator, then how can we expect a god to form by chance? But even if there was a god, it would have to address me personally as to what is right or wrong. I can't trust anyone else to tell me, and why should I have to?
edit on 20-4-2011 by swordwords because: added comma

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by swordwords
In my case, I have been able to decipher enough of the allegoric code that is employed throughout the Bible to eliminate any possible doubt as to the Bible's true nature. I know for a fact it is a fraud and therefore it cannot represent the will of a supreme being (in a literal sense as the uninitiated understand it). So, if I did choose to believe in a god, I would have no idea how he would like me to act. Most other religions also employ variations of this allegoric code, so I would find no real guidance in them either.

My thinking is that, if the miracle of man requires a creator, then how can we expect a god to form by chance? But even if there was a god, it would have to address me personally as to what is right or wrong. I can't trust anyone else to tell me, and why should I have to?

What about it is a fraud? Yes there are many stories, but remember they were written by men, regardless of being "inspired" or not....

So please explain what is the fraud you're talking about?

As for right and wrong... Do you not listen to your conscience? Even your heart depending on what is in it of course....

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
reply to post by amaster

For you, that may be the case. However, for me, I prefer to view it the other way around. God is a part of Nature, since Nature created man, Man created God (in his own image.)

Or

God is a race of extra-dimensional beings who created humans as a slave race by geneticly splicing thier own DNA with the DNA of apes.

I haven't decided yet.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by swordwords

What about it is a fraud? Yes there are many stories, but remember they were written by men, regardless of being "inspired" or not....

So please explain what is the fraud you're talking about?

As for right and wrong... Do you not listen to your conscience? Even your heart depending on what is in it of course....

As I already indicated the Bible is written in an allegoric code and any effort to present it as literal “truth” constitutes fraud. Religion is actually based on the suppression of knowledge and all “sins” represent actions against the deception and those that are “good” are promoting it (whether they are conscience of it or not). Ideas such as “love”, “peace” and even “truth” have hidden meanings which actually would seem evil to those living in the literal world. “Eternal life” is gained if your name is preserved in the literal layer of allegoric writings and those that sin are hidden in “Hades” or “burned” in “Hell“. Each "error" and "contradiction" that the literal reader sees, is actually a puzzle to be solved and that is why they have been preserved.

I do have plenty of evidence to support my claim that the Bible is written in an allegoric code and much of it only requires that the material is placed in the proper context (i.e. Kabbalah), however, this is not the place to present it. But, as a former Christian myself, I am under no delusion that I will be able to convince a single Christian that clings to Creationism in defiance of the vast amounts of evidence that supports Evolution.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by swordwords

So you're saying religion is a fraud not the bible...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by NeverSleepingEyes The one that fathered Jesus .The thing is, you can't prove he doesn't exist , I can't prove or disprove his existence , I believe he exist because of faith .

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by RufusDriftwood
A belief in god...
I've watched my mother and father, cousin, brother in law and best friend suffer terribly and eventually die from cancer. I watch a thousands die in a tsunami (an act of god!) in Japan, the world seemingly going to hell in a handcart, and more and more people being cast into poverty...
"If there is a god he has a f*cking warped sense of humour!"
If a supreme being; a god, can sit back and quietly watch the chaos going on here on earth, and watch thousands die meaninglessly, then as far as I'm concerned you can keep him!
I simply say, "F*ck your god!" If he can let his people suffer without offering help then he Isn't worth worshipping.
$hit happens to the best ,and the worst of us.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ztruthseeker
Pascals wager has been refuted over and over again...

And when has that ever stopped religious pseudo-logic to be repeated and repeated and ........

I see 'intelligent design' pop up regularly, I see 'quantum-religion' pop up, and some ATS extremist christians even come back with the same its-out-of-time-so-holy-magic-must-be-true (recently including a reference to a complete misunderstanding of one of Einstein's theories).

I have recurrent disputes with holies, who are COMPLETELY unable to see the difference between standard logic and the most extreme kinds of inductive reasoning.

For some reason christian evangelists seem to believe, that contemporary people listen to this kind of 'logic', which would have made an impact several centuries back on a mainly uneducated mankind. Maybe it's an overdose of scholastics at an early age creating specially confused mindsets, or maybe it's confused mindsets being attracted to scholastics and pseudo-logic. I don't know, as there seem to be little research on this interesting psychological situation.

In any case I feel a very uncharitable personal and silent glee, when evangelists perform these semantic acrobatics. It sure as heck warns people to stay away from extremism.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

reply to post by amaster

For you, that may be the case. However, for me, I prefer to view it the other way around. God is a part of Nature, since Nature created man, Man created God (in his own image.)

Or

God is a race of extra-dimensional beings who created humans as a slave race by geneticly splicing thier own DNA with the DNA of apes.

I haven't decided yet.

The last hypothesis definitely has something speaking for it. At least in a modified form, where inter-dimensionals are able to manipulate energy or fields directly, but not understanding mankind's concept of 'matter' very well.

It would explain the various bible-'miracles' and other paranormal experiences, and also why the bible, allegedly inspired by a creator-'god', have practically no knowledge of the real construction of the visible universe (a knowledge you would expect from the creator hisownself).

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Why can't God and evolution co-exist?

They do! (Many, perhaps most Christians happily accept the truth of evolution.. creationists are actually although they don't seem to realise that fact, a tiny minority.
Vicky

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

Vicky,

you are amongst my 'favourite' christians on ATS. Level-headed and socially sane. I sincerely wish, that all christians could be more like you. Then I could back to annoying neo-stalinists instead.

To be honest, they are much more fun than evangelist christians.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorthAtASouth
reply to post by the_denv

That's a pretty messed up way of looking at life and I know because I was there for a long time until I started to see something horrible about reality. When you start to give up because things get worse and worse you swiftly start to recognize that you can be controlled by something out there even when you think you're making your own choices. Choice is an illusions at least from what I can see.

Then again maybe I'm just an unfortuante soul that stepped into an evil trap and not educated enough to find the way out. Whatever the case when you know what being crucified is really about then tell me there is nothing out there like a god or devil. It's friggin depressing as hell seeing something guide you around but not knowing f it's guiding you into misery and suffering or if it's resisting that causes the suffering. You will know one day when you all solve it, if you haven't already and know of me who fell a long way for 20+ years.

ORION IS HORRIBLE!

Maybe the answer is, that there's BOTH free will AND the rules of a watchmaker universe.

Only free will can nurture free will, and as it's rather uphill at the start, few venture into it.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join