It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan: Police Search Cell Phones During Traffic Stops

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

So these things can bypass passwords too? You know Michigan is/will not be the only state using these either.
Maybe one of these would help. Shield
That is, if these extractors operate using rfid.

Peace,
spec

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by Vitchilo

fascism at its finest what ever happened to that protection from illegal search and seizure.

minor means running a stop sign, a speeding ticket,

that is seriously insane.

Amendment 4 - Search and Seizure. Ratified 12/15/1791.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that pretty much sums it up, invasion of privacy and theft of private property. "Supported by oath or affrimation". NO police officer that I know of has EVER filed an oath of office, the let the clerk do it. NONE are EVER signed by the officers own hand, they are above the law then,as it is electronically signed for them and filed. It is NUL AND VOID, they are impersonating an officer and can be put in federal prison as it is a federal crime. Where is the Sheriff? The Sheriff should be arresting these morons.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Holy #

I knew it was a mistake when they started taking out all of the phone booths.
If they ever try and track the info in my phone, they are going to terribly disappointed

My cell-life is about as juicy as a piece of driftwood, lol

It still stinks..I do hope this does not become widespread. If this isn't unreasonable search and seizure, I don't know what is...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
reply to post by Vitchilo

I don't see how this can be legal. And what if they run into a government worker with sensitive data on his phone. Or sensitive company emails or pictures.

How will that work. what if you have a confidentiality agreement? and you can't divulge information.

it's a big can of worms.

To Hell with that...
What about if you have private, lawfully obtained digital photographs of your consenting, legal-aged girlfriend on there?
Who the Hell is anyone to have access to that?
Sensitive government data, or plans to the Death Star...sure, that's a big loss to any established entity...but...seriously...a woman scorned...
*shudders*

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I can't even bare to read all of this post to see the comments. I'm a Michigan resident since birth -with brief trips out of the state as my father has always lived out of the state. But this is my home. We've been over taxed. We have laws attempting to be passed that state corporations can run cities that fall into financial emergencies --which just means AMWAY can run the individual cities more than they already do (if you come to my home town everything is funded by the founding families of Amway). Benton Harbor is currently getting "help" -look that up online. And by god, if you have a vice you will pay for it in taxes here because of all the "sin taxes" put in place by our former governor. Couple this with the fact that we have few jobs --I mean, we had a very big surge in our economy recently because several movies set up shop here because of tax breaks, but our new governor wants to halt that whole market and screw us a little bit more. All of this leads to a very beautiful state that is very hard to live in. We can't even hold claim to our fresh water. I read an article that stated some of our fresh water reserves were being sold to other countries and we can't even get our current president to help pass laws that help us keep invasive species out -like those lovely mussels and Asian carp.

And if you get pulled over, half the cops will do as they please and I speak from experience. I'm sorry, this reply is more of a rant entry from someone who typically just reads and doesn't take active part in most threads. I just get too worked up half the time. But there is no getting around being worked up over the ills of Michigan and this is one of them. You know, as an artist --I can't get half of my artwork published locally because of tight religious views. Doesn't matter the content or if there's questionable nudity or nothing but sunshine and roses -it's a matter of it looks weird and they don't think it's right. It's just a strange place to live half the time, even though it's my home.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by midwest

I could swear the article said the devices can recover deleted data. Mebbe I got it wrong.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by _R4t_

They can't? Wow I guess all the times we used our TEMPEST gear to take information offf of people PC's and such from more than 300 yards away was a mistake then. Kinda fooled me though. I wonder what we were copying though?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Just as every cop is a criminal
And all the sinners saints
As heads is tails
Just call me Lucifer
'Cause I'm in need of some restraint

The Rolling Stones

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Not once. Not once has there been any confirmation that the device was used during a regular traffic stop. Not once.

FOX NEWS ARTICLE

The ACLU is not even confirming that they know of an incidence where the device was used on a regular traffic stop. It merely says that the ACLU is fearing that the police are abusing it's use.

Even the police are saying that the device is not being used during a "regular" traffic stop. The reason the spokes person did not want to say if it has EVER been used on a traffic stop is because it would be speculation at this point. Also, there are legal means that the device COULD be used during a traffic stop but not a traffic stop merely for a traffic violation.

Lets get one thing straight, IT IS NOT WIRELESS. It must be plugged into a cell phone to access it. So the police can not download your phone without your knowledge remotely.

Watch the Fox News video already posted in this thread. The defense attorney clearly states that the Michigan ACLU stands to make millions of dollars from donations that would pour in to fight this in court. Maybe, one could gather that this is a way to create enough fear and hype in a money making scheme perpetrated by the ACLU. Who loses out when this scheme is perpetrated? The everyday citizen who now believes the police are downloading your cell phone data during a regular traffic stop and the cop who is now unjustly looked at with disgust because people have been fooled into thinking they are doing something they are not.

Obviously, it is everyone's duty to keep a close eye on what the police are doing and challenge it, in a proper forum, to make sure it is within the limits of the constitution. Also, it is everyone's duty to remain vigilant for police corruption and hold those corrupt police accountable.

What is displayed here is a blatant painting of all police with a very broad brush. When you unjustly and incorrectly label all police corrupt for the actions of a small minority you make yourself a hypocrite.

Remain vigilant, but do not blow the war trumpet everytime the topic drifts to the many police officers of this nation. Also, read between the lines of many news articles. When the article leaves holes in the facts of the story try not to fill them with your own personal opinions or what you "believe" is happening without proper proof.
edit on 21-4-2011 by areyouserious2010 because: addition

edit on 21-4-2011 by areyouserious2010 because: addition

edit on 21-4-2011 by areyouserious2010 because: typo

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
New analysis shows that not only is the data collected and stored on the phone, but it is transmitted back to Apple (and Google in the case of android) along with a unique identifier. In other words, they are literally tracking you. They admit they are storing it in a database to collect data on where you go.

online.wsj.com...

So I guess they don't need the traffic stop at all to spy on you. They can just subpeona Apple or Google for your location history without you even knowing it.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
everyone close your mobile phone accounts and proceed to throw devices into the river. watch what happens when some of these " major corporations " lose most of their business. Change? maybe barry was onto something..

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join