It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the validity of Rense.com

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
The following was posed in another thread and I felt that it deserved it's own thread.

Originally posted by billybob

Originally posted by HowardRoark

Originally posted by Aliceinwonderland
I posted this same article on a different forum -

rense.com...

Rense.com is a really good website.

A little old, but definitely worth saving.

I absolutely amazes me that anyone can take Rense seriously.

and it absolutely amazes me that people attack rense like he writes all his own articles or like he agrees with everything on his site. rense dot com is a mirror. free speech central. most of the content there is not created there. each article must stand or fall on its' own merits, and should not be condemned to guilt by association with rense. some of it's true. some not. unlike the mainstream where nearly everything is spun to keep our heads spinning and out of focus.

The problem with Rense is not that he allows anyone to send him "articles" for "publication," the problem is simply that there is no attempt to maintain any semblance of journalistic integrity. Basically, the stuff that gets posted there is no better than some of the posts here. At least the threads here go though the wringer from the various people who participate in this forum. Facts are checked through the process of post and counterpost.

Stuff posted on Rense is never vetted and yet many people post links to it and treat the stories therein as though the information has the same accuracy as that found in the daily newspaper.

For that reason, I view ALL articles posted on Rense with a jaundiced eye. It is not my job to check out the facts, nor do I wish to waste my time doing someone elses work for them.

Besides, that picture of Rense is a little creepy, eh?

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   

people post links to it and treat the stories therein as though the information has the same accuracy as that found in the daily newspaper

daily news paper(major media) and accuracy seems to be an oxymoron to me. Kind of like military intelligence. But Im gonna pull a hypocrite on what I just posted
Rense usually gives the link of the article back to a major news source when possible. I can tell you he seems to have more credibility than Coast to Coast though the new guy that took Art Bells place is a 1000% improvement.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Blow off Rense if you like. They have crazy stuff and they have some excellent stuff (linked from elsewhere). If you know how to cut through the crap, the crap's no problem.

Just because its on Rense does not make it illigitimate. Look at the article's source. That's the best/easiest way to determine.

One guy found at Rense, who many seem to take seriously, is Sherman Skolnik. He's the author of the Middle Finger News. He makes some highly outrageous claims against the Bush family and the Royal family in England. Until he backs up his assertions with fact, I will consider him bogus.

[edit on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Didn't Rense claim to have an alien in his freezer, or at least tout the story on his site?

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Gotta agree with you -- Rense makes no attempt at editing or verifying, so folks can post the most outrageous nonsense there (and often do.) I know we fact-checkers get annoying, but we do try to make the news on our site solid and verifiable.

No "BatBoy Clones 12-Headed Baby!" stories here.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   
As with all news you have to attempt to filter the truth... to read between the lines. One of the problems with rense.com is things seem to be treated as true until proven wrong. Some of the things Jeff Rense reads on the air as fact are just article submissions to his site that have not been independently verified or looked into. It's unfortunate that they give so much time to John Kamanski and the complete bullsh*t that he spews out. On average there might be one good radio show a week but with half of the airtime being commercials and now rense trying to charge for it.. disappointing.

However, that being said, the site is still worth at least a daily check.

[edit on 27-7-2004 by MindWarrior]

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
You'd be surprised at some of the jewels I've extracted from Rense - buried between all the UFO nonsense and whatnot.

It's just a compendium. Learn to always check an article's source.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Rence is crap.

I never take an article or post seriously if it is referenced just from that site.

Having read the site in the past I see it as just a playground for all the hoaxers, scammers, and creative writing students of the net.

Good thread, maybe we should have a "no linking to rense" rule to maintain some level of validity on our own board.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Rence is crap.

I never take an article or post seriously if it is referenced just from that site.

Having read the site in the past I see it as just a playground for all the hoaxers, scammers, and creative writing students of the net.

Good thread, maybe we should have a "no linking to rense" rule to maintain some level of validity on our own board.

I found this over at Rense
'Code' Found In Latest Bin Laden Video Shown To Be Hoax

[edit on 27-7-2004 by Sauron]

top topics

join