It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are some good countries to live in??

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Canada is my 1st pick, not just because I live here now but because policies. I'd love to move to Iceland, Norway, New Zealand.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by JCMinJapan
Well, I live in Japan, I love it here.

I was there for 3 weeks and had the time of my life. Although I do wish that I got a chance to visit some of the less populated areas.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
Somalia!
Wonderful place, to get tanned, lose weight, and play with guns!

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Personally I prefer warm weather and lots of consant wind to fill my sails so I'd go for New Zealand or Australia. Chesapeake Bay in Maryland USA is beautiful too.....

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I think "best place to live" is obviously a value judgement. So I'll give you my values before I give my picks:

Values.
1. Financial Power. How much is money from your old pat worth in the new nation? The more the better in my book. Honestly, this is the most important criterion for me, since it money can improve all the other scales below.

2. Emergency Healthcare. If I get screwed up, can I get it fixed, and will it cost more than the arm or leg that's being re-attached?

3. Education. I have kids.

4. Permeability. How quickly can I get in or out. If there is a reason I want to flee, can I leave? If I want to enter multiple times, without being hassled, can I?

5. Techability. Can I get DSL and cell phone? Is communication secure to my business interests in the USA?

6. Sightseeing/Nightlife. I love archaeology, and cafe/lounge culture, so that's a consideration on my playlist.

7. Social Acceptance. Will I be stigmatized for being a Yanqui?

8. Tranquility. I used to actively enjoy what the CIA calls 'fluid political situations' as free enterprise empowerment zones. But I've gotten old and settled down. These days, Dr. S wants to live where no news is good news.

9. Social Prominence. Is my presence liked or disliked by the local junta?

10. Privacy.

My list of values is not in any kind of order.

#1 rules out much of what you might call the "first world." USD are not as valueable in Europe, AUS/NZ, USA, & Canada. The cost of services there is out of sight. Add in taxes and and government surveilance, plus terrorism, and those are not places for me. Sadly this rules out Czech Republic and Austria, two of my sentimental favorites, which are great for 3, 5 and 6.

May faves USED to be in the Middle East, especially Egypt and Israel, pre-intafedah. They both scored well an all counts. But with the fundy-sunnis in Egypt, I wouldn't set foot in it for the last ten years.

My picks then switched to Latin/South America.

The almighty Dollar was practically worshipped (still is) and you could buy your way out of ANY difficulty. When you moved to a town, you were supposed to register w/ the police who would turn over the info to "international authorities" (CIA). But for a twenty you could write your own byline. There was a time when you could get an apartment in any capitol in South America, complete with live-in service, for a few hundred bucks a month. There was a time when you could buy a cattle ranch the size of Rhode Island for $150,000; with a staff of twenty and a breeding stable if you wanted to race horses.

Brazil itself used to by an awesome place, with a booming economy and best night life outside of new orleans. But since the SE Asian financial collapse at the millenium, South America has become so unsettled it is pretty dangerous. It used to be that las drugas were just shipped north to waiting american college students; now tho, most SA nations have drug problems far worse than anything in the US.

I guess all of this explains why I'm back, back in the USSA.

I keep threatening to expat, but I just don't know where i'd be happier.

not Nigeria, that's for sure.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Well the US is tricky. Some parts are nice, some aren't. So I'll share some nice places in the US seeing as every state is different. Michigan is actually quite nice. Very nice beaches. Stay away from West Virginia and the general area. Not to be mean but there is a lack of technology. I know people who live around there and there afraid of the internet. Lol. Flordias nice in the winter. Californias nice unless your one of those democratic "girly men" just kidding. And lets see northern Illinios. Just out of the Chicago suburbs its really nice. Weather never gets extreme, nice standard of living, low crime, pretty nice people. One problem its starting to be a fad for rich kids to act ghetto. That annoys me. Wisconsin is nice. Go about 15 minutes north of Wisconsin Dells and theres the little yellow and the big yellow river. Nice for vacations. And at the top of my list Lake Geneva in Wisconsin. It is so beutiful, there are numerous nice resturants. The one problem is theres a lake with a beach and the place gets packed with vacationing families in the summer. But that just shows how nice it is.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I read all the second hand critiques about living in South Africa. I would like to like to address some of these not as someone who heard from someone, but as someone who was born and raised in South Africa and who still has all her family living in South Africa. South Africa is an awesome country - the reports you hear about South Africa and how terrible it has become are always from white people, who make up 15% of the population and were used to having everything by virtue of skin tone, and when everybody started having access to the same priviledges it was those whites that never took advantage of the priviledges they had to get educations that cried the loudest. South Africa is truly a world in one country, masses of people from Europe are moving to South Africa to settle there - especially germans. I went back home to Johannesburg in January with two americans and 1 of them wants to go back to South Africa, and the other swants to go to college there. By the way I am white and was part of the liberation movement in South Africa. Its difficult coming to grips with being equal with all people, but its tougher going to sleep at night when you know others have no shelter or food in the land of plenty. You will never visit a country with so much to offer - its far away from the "developed world", but the climates great, so much to see, and all the comforts of a first world society. Even the homeless have cellphones.

Yes South Africa has problems like every other country in the world - there is no Utopia.
My only problem with tourist sites about South Africa is that it always shows how scenic the country is and how diverse the society. It gives tourists the wrong impression they expect africa instead they get Europe, with "Africa" an hour drive away.

www.southafrica.net...

[edit on 28-7-2004 by Mynaeris]

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I always say that I'm gonna move to New Zealand when I get older. It seems so nice and peaceful there, not much to worry about at all. And the country itself has so much to do, from snowboarding to skiiing, the climate is quite varied, so it seems like that would be a plus. I think that would have to be my top choice.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I kind of like America myself

I live in the rural South and although I cannot speak for everywhere in the South.....

Where I live there is a nice mix of old and new, old fashioned values but tech wise slowly being dragged into the 21st century. Taxes are low but so are wages but in a way this is not bad it puts the four major groups here (white, black,asian and spanish) in the same class we have little or no hate crime (or any other) to speak of. The white/black problems of old are all but gone, other than a few die-hard racists on both sides nobody seems to care anymore. The KKK came to our town for a rally and were pretty much laughed out of town.

Everyone here is mostly interested in just living and could not care less about forcing our lifestyle down anybody elses throut. We have BBQs togather, work togather, our kids go to school togather and date each other. Gays are pretty much ignored by the older people and accepted by the rest. The cops pretty much look the other way at pot-smokers but crank is starting to become a problem.

But a few miles away you have Fort Smith with all the problems of a big (by our standards anyway) city. Gang violince, drugs, murder, rape etc.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I always say I want to get away from America because of all the mainstream popular culture, the messed up politics, and other things. But when I really think about it, I don't think I could live anywhere else. I love this place, even with its shortcomings. As much as I hate the fact that we have shows like The Simple Life on TV, I'm not sure how I could deal without having the comforts that living here brings, lol.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I would say Australia. o.o Because u rarely ever hear anything violent about Australia. o.o

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
If anyone is truly serious about this then you have to consider Vancouver. It pretty much has everything you could want in a city. Awesome nightlife and culture. You have the ocean right there. The best skiing in the world is located in Whistler a short drive away, plus many other ski runs are located closer. Its beauty is tough to match anywhere in the world.

I could go on and on.

Melbourne and Vancouver are the best cities in the world for expatriates to live in, according to a survey by the Economist Intelligence Unit.

The list in full

1. (tie) Melbourne, Australia

1. Vancouver, Canada

3. Perth, Australia

4. (tie) Vienna, Austria

4. Toronto, Canada

4. Geneva, Switzerland

4. Zurich, Switzerland

8. (tie) Adelaide, Australia

8. Brisbane, Australia

8. Sydney,Australia

8. Copenhagen, Denmark

8. Dusseldorf, Germany

8. Frankfurt, Germany

8. Oslo, Norway

8. Montreal, Canada

16. (tie) Calgary, Canada

16. Helsinki, Finland

16. Stockholm, Sweden

19. (tie) Berlin, Germany

19. Amsterdam, Netherlands

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
OK OK Second largest in the world LOL - but we still got tons of elbow room
and health care too

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I was just playing with you, Dakuma

You're right. We have tons of elbow room, and health care. The vast majority of the country is unpopulated, and it's a beautiful country.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris

Yes South Africa has problems like every other country in the world - there is no Utopia.
My only problem with tourist sites about South Africa is that it always shows how scenic the country is and how diverse the society. It gives tourists the wrong impression they expect africa instead they get Europe, with "Africa" an hour drive away.

www.southafrica.net...

[edit on 28-7-2004 by Mynaeris]

I have to agree with her. I had an invitation to a dream job there, back in the late 1980's. I would have been living in Cape Town, which is on the West and from what I learned, a lot more progressive. Seems like most of the support for Apartheid was from the East, Johannesburg and Praetoria.

I studied up on the politics; my potential employers assured me that apartheid was about to be dismantled, and that SA is destined for greatness no matter what happens. He and associates were actively involved in the equality struggle. (He was an escapee from Communist Poland! No stranger to danger, certainly.)

The work would have been incredibly lucrative and fullfilling. I came within inches of going. All my friends (politically liberal) were horrified and told me what a traitor I was. I actually lost friends over the fact that I would even contemplate moving there. It was so stupid.

At that time, if I had gone, I would have needed to emigrate, and USA had a policy that if you did so, you would never be allowed back in the states, regardless of an future regime change in RSA. (Reagan's foreign policy decision.) It was sort of like the govt. stance against Bobby Fisher rt. now.

At that point in my young life, I had never been out of the US before, except for tourism in Mexico, and I was pretty freaked out by the threat of never being allowed to come home. I didn't go. My parents were alive then and very worried they'd never see me again, except on TV.

Anyway, I spent months reading about the inter-tribal/racial conflicts that ran between xzosa and zulu, and Aafrikan vs. Brits et al. I learned a lot, and have always followed SA politics and economics with interest.

I would love to take a vacation there. I wonder how my life would have been different.

Yes, I think there is serious violence there, much of it racial. Sort of like a saturday night in St. Louis or south Dallas.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinguy2004
As for Oz having no nukes, I don't see why we should have them, when we can rely on our American & British friends to help us out.

true, but the irony will be when we get nuked by our own damn nuclear material. australia exports a majority of the world nuclear material cause we got so much of it. so good chance is when we do get nuked one day it will be by our own material

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris
South Africa is a beautiful, first world lifestyle/infrastructure kind of country. Friendly people mostly educated, english speaking for the most part
Isn't South Africa in the midst of a social meltdown with exponential crime rate growth?

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 01:42 AM
link   
i hear good things about australia,italy, and spain(dont train travel).
usually because of the good looking girls there.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Hell aint a bad place to be...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
SOUTH AFRICA!

www.homecomingrevolution.co.za...

www.sagoodnews.co.za...

South Africa is the 32nd best place in the world to do e-business (tied with Poland), according to the Economist Intelligence Report.

South Africa is the best-ranked country in terms of price stability, our fiscal policy is ranked 11th, our international trade competitiveness 21st, and we are the 28th most-attractive destination for foreign direct investment, according to the World Competitiveness Yearbook 2005

South African business owners of mid-size companies are the second most optimistic worldwide about their economic prospects of the year ahead, according to the annual Grant Thorton International Business Owners Survey for 2005.

South Africa houses one of the three largest telescopes in the world at Sutherland in the Karoo

South Africa is the first, and to date only, country to build nuclear weapons and then voluntarily dismantle its entire nuclear weapons programme

South African media ranks 26th out of 167 countries in the Worldwide Press Freedom Index, ahead of the United Kingdom, Australia and Japan

The value of South African real estate improved by 30% over the past 5 years

Since 1994, 500 houses have been built each day for the poor

Tax revenue in SA has increased by 220% over the past 10 years

In 2004, 8.7 million people benefited from access to Social Grants

The number of tourists visiting South Africa grown by 116% since 1994

Over the past 5 years, Consumer Confidence in SA has improved by 43%.

In the global measure of women in Parliament, South Africa ranks 8th in the world.

Of the 10 LSM levels ( LSM1=poorest; LSM10 wealthiest ), the average SA family located in LSM6

The current police to population ratio is 1:350.

Of the 230 countries in the world SA ranks 25th in terms of the size of its economy (measured in $US)

South Africa has the longest wine route in the world.

South Africa ranks 2nd in the world for export market diversification and 14th for shareholder value.

That four of South Africa's banks rank among the world's top 500?

In 2003 85% of South Africans are functionally literate compared to 63% in 1994.

In 1994 SA exported just under R4billion a year in cars and car accessories. Today they are worth R40billion.

South Africa has the 5th most productive labour force in the world.

South African tap water is rated amongst the purest in the world.

The average South African business can hold its own against any like-sized competitor in the world.

The JSE (Johannesburg Stock Exchange) is the 15th largest stock exchange in the world

Exports have grown 93% as a proportion of total manufacturing output since 1994.

Murder rate has decreased by 19% in South Africa since 1994 compared to 5% for the rest of the world.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join