It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

could life exist on every planet?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
just curious to hear ya'lls input about this. i was thinking ya know, why does life have to be carbon based, or need water to form? i would think that different environments (such as the bottom of the ocean where there is no light and immense water pressure yet life still flourishes) and especially different planets could have life that is unique to their environment. i mean like i'm sure that single celled organisms that are formed on earth would be different than those formed on other planets because they are in different environments, maybe even facing different natural laws than those we know here on earth. sorry if this has been posted before i couldn't find anything about it. and my apologies for my wording, its a bit late here.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by emptyOmind

Well I just came across this video and would start a new thread but im new so i cant. But check out this video. youtu.be... I have no idea if it is real or not.

edit on 19-4-2011 by bmc52 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

The Secret Doctrine of Blavatsky fame as well as most other occult sources reference each planetary sphere as an entity unto itself as well as the sphere of evolution at a certain dimension of all the sentient and supporting life forms present therein.

Each solar system is in turn a larger entity and so on outward and inward concentrically. This is the ultimate truth in Raja Yogic Philosophy in essence as well as the inner teachings of all other meditative spiritual methods I am familiar with. There is a certain level of metaphoric truth to ancient mythology , astrology and actual dimensional physics in these far older philosophies rather then modern religions and myopic sciences are to be believed.

edit on 19-4-2011 by Shadowfoot because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I was just pondering the very same question earlier today. I like to think that life is the rule and not the exception in the universe, and that life exists only to experience itself in ever more possibilities. So if that is the case I would assume life is almost everywhere even if it's only on the smallest possible scale.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by bmc52

already numerous threads here on the topic

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
To be considered life in our terms it has to meet the requirements of what we consider life to be so no it probably doesn't exist on every planet.

That doesn't mean there isn't other things "alive" but they do not behave within the sphere of what is considered life by human standards.

Once found we shall have to either revise our definition of life or perhaps create a secondary classification of what life is.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I think so. But it may not be "life" like ours here. It may even be advanced life, more than ours. But they may be of a certain way that they can live on whatever planet. Maybe even in a different type of dimension. We may look at a planet as dead, or barren, but maybe in another dimension on that planet is a bustling life filled world.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

I think that is the point of the OP my friend. Life forms other than our human idea of the term. No offense intended but thats a very close minded notion to refer to life as being defined by what "we" consider life. What do you call life with this supposed format?...are there not the same molecules on this earth animating a human as well as the sea, or a rock, plant etc...?

I disagree entirely with how you stated that.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I don't see why it could not.

Life "AS WE KNOW IT" maybe couldn't but there could be life forms we can't even comprehend out there.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
certainly there are conditions suitable moreso then others for life but it's hard to draw the conclusion that all planets harbour life in some form or another. i'd say like any other duality that exists it would be roughly 50/50

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

It's nearly impossible to predict the evolutionary paths of exotic extraterrestrial life, so I'd say, optimistically, my answer is "perhaps."
But if we ignore the problem of trying to think of life that is independent of terrestrial life there are still many places in our solar system that may have extant life. For some of them that is most likely.

In order in distance from the sun:
Mercury: Almost certainly no life (as we know it)
Venus: Some scientists think microbes may exist in the upper Venusian atmosphere, where the temperature and atmospheric pressure are Earthlike.
Mars: It's overwhelmingly likely that life is in the polar water reserves, and it's also possible that microbial life is widespread on the planet underneath the surface where liquid water is thought to reside.
Jupiter: No conventional life, but some people in the past have hypothesized about Jovian life that never touches the ground. However, Jupiter's moons Callisto and Europa may have life in their subterranean oceans. In the case of Europa, it's more likely than not that there is life there.
Saturn: Same as Jupiter, but its moon Enceladus may have conventional life, and Titan may have exotic life.
Uranus: No conventional life, and I've never heard anything promising about the habitability of its moons.
Neptune: No conventional life, but its moon Triton may have a subterranean ocean where there is life.

That's the answer only from contemporary (and only credible) science. I'm sure there's some conspiracy theories here that beg to differ, though I wouldn't know about that.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Seems how we humans with our limited mines THINK that life can only evolve the way we ourselves were evolved, I don't doubt the possibility. But of course, that's a huge gap in the mind set of the human consciousness.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowfoot

The Secret Doctrine of Blavatsky fame as well as most other occult sources reference each planetary sphere as an entity unto itself as well as the sphere of evolution at a certain dimension of all the sentient and supporting life forms present therein.

The Rosicrucian Cosmo-Conception by Max Heindel states essentially the same thing. Each planet in the solar system (and by extension other solar systems) harbors life based on the vibrational needs of each life form. Some my not be in the 3rd dimension, others may not be carbon based. Essentially what was stated above.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Given the fact that there are organisms on Earth that can survive extreme temps and environments
www.compoundbinocularmicroscope.com...

as well as one that isn't even carbon based here on Earth!
www.wired.com...

Story Musgrave even claims to have seen a space worm floating outside the space shuttle!
magic-ufo.forum-phpbb.in...

So yes I believe life could exist, in one form or another, anywhere.

Well maybe not a sun but who knows?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
The late astronomer Carl Sagan addressed this question in substantial detail and, despite what some think of him (TPTB sell-out, etc.) Dr. Sagan eloquently hypothesized that indeed exo-biology may be possible in extreme environments. Google some of his COSMOS videos to see some great renderings of some of the possibilities.

Of course, many accomplished SF authors have contemplated the topic and have waxed poetic to our delight and fired the imagination - Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clark, Heinlein, Bova, etc to name a few.

I just hope it won't be too much longer before we get our collective human act together and get to e.g. Mars, Titan, and beyond and see for ourselves already!

Thanks OP - and keep looking up!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

I'm wondering if another example to add to the list... though I have many, one in particular seems to fit this Thread... Even a "Carbon" based lifeform... as you mentioned could apply here... A "being" that actually "vibrates" faster and "moves" quicker, would not appear to our senses.... virtually invisible.

Seems short of having an extensive comprehension of "life"... even on earth, many possibilities are valid and up for consideration eh?

Please.... anyone... don't try and claim man-kind HAS a comprehensive understanding of life... grrrrrrrrr

Even with "life" as we understand, there's much that's real and going on all around us yet we don't perceive it. Such as sights and colors our eyes don't perceive yet other lifeforms do... or sounds that are infrasonic or ultrasonic... we don't perceive this, yet many animals use them and do... etc

One might wonder that seeking what "life" is here could answer this question. All the planets in this system could be filled with US, yet we don't perceive it. Who is to say we don't also live on the planets in this system... the Sun and Moon as well? Maybe an understanding of who and what we are.... what a quest eh? But maybe answering those questions about our lives will answer the question the Thread is asking?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Terrorist

You forgot the moons of jupiter and saturn. Several of them are believed to have liquid water oceans hidden under the ice.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

Originally posted by Terrorist
Jupiter: No conventional life, but some people in the past have hypothesized about Jovian life that never touches the ground. However, Jupiter's moons Callisto and Europa may have life in their subterranean oceans. In the case of Europa, it's more likely than not that there is life there.
Saturn: Same as Jupiter, but its moon Enceladus may have conventional life, and Titan may have exotic life.

I didn't forget

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

it is belived that the most key elements of life all need to have a bonding capacity of four(carbon and silicon). even the most simple of life froms require this, mostly in the form of glucose for energy or whatever its silicon equivelant is. they have although fouund a microorganism that lives exclusivly off arsenic(which it substitututes for the phosphourus in its genetic make up. so some thing on a planet free from bith carbon or silicon could make some subsitiutes as well. so every planet i guess could have some possibility for life just some more than others. hell its thought comets if heated to just the right amount could have a nervous system and crude brain arranged out of the chemicals on them

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I keep having these thoughts that exist life in whatever place that can sustain it, i mean from our perspective we are at the best possible place to have conscious life and so from our perspective the universe is fine-tuned so that would be conscious life in this planet. Considering the observer effect and the existance of multi-verses the universe will tend to shape itself to the best possible way depending of where you are experiencing life.

top topics

join