It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Commodity and Precious Metals Prices.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I've been keeping up with precious metals and commodity prices lately to compare the rise of these investments along with the devaluation of the dollar. For some time, I've seen the prices of these commodities go up along with the dollar index. Shouldn't it be that when commodities increase in prices, the dollar is further devalued? Gold reached $1500.00 and Silver has gone up over $3.00 this month. I just want to get my fellow ATS members perspective on how to invest in these commodities, especially while on a strict budget. I know there is some manipulation going on, but I don't think I understand to what extent as I am afraid to put all of my eggs in one basket. I mean I don't want to lose ANYTHING but holy cow, silver has increased over 100% in the last year! Is that the best investment or did I miss out on the extraordinary gains?
edit on 19-4-2011 by sixneuproele because: Typing error.

edit on 19-4-2011 by sixneuproele because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
A lot of it has to do with supply. As an instance, Silver which is where I put my money (at $30/oz) has a problem. Suppliers can not make delivery. Thus, I guess it's more valuable because of that.

Also look to the Chinese activity in these markets. That and anyone with half a brain knows that there's trouble a brewin' with currency markets.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by sixneuproele

Well that's a lot of info to get out there. You are welcome to visit this thread for a lot of great sources and even greater contributors to your query.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Good Luck!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I bought about 100 oz of silver at 34 and I was nervous doing that. I had an extra 1500 dollars to spend yesterday and I bought my first ounce of gold. I was very nervous doing that, but then I looked at the 5 year charts of both of these things and it seems you cant go wrong as long as they are still pumping cash into the system. Personally I see no value myself in gold and silver but I figure its better than the paper stuff and its been keeping up with the inflation.

Here is the gold and silver prices when the weimar republic started printing dollars. Pretty nuts.

www.bullionmark.com.au...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by billxam

Where do you get silver for $30/oz? When I checked a minute ago it was over $44.

Thanks for your reply.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Best advice you will recieve: "Don't use the membersship of AboveTopSecret.com as your sole source of investment advice." Informing yourself by using ATS in a wise manner is a good idea. Asking questions of the members is fine, too. Actually taking a leap and investing per one of the member's recommendations is foolish at best. I would say that before you pull the trigger on a new investment, talk with a professional about it, preferably one who has actual skin in the game and would lose something more than D-ego points if they steered you down the wrong path.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by sixneuproele
reply to post by billxam

Where do you get silver for $30/oz? When I checked a minute ago it was over $44.

Thanks for your reply.

I think he was saying he bought it back when it was 30 oz, just like I bought mine when it was 34 an oz.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

Yes from what I understand as long as the dollars keep printing, holding anything except this paper currency is a plus. Thanks for the link. Checking it out now.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Actually silver has gone up 100% in 5-6 months, not even a year...

The guy prolly bought it when it was 30, that's when I got my silver.l

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I just gave similar advice to someone else lol! Thank you. I just want to gain other perspectives. It's nice to know what others are thinking and I genuinely respect everyones opinion.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I just really give people what I know. I don't tell people to buy cause i want the price to go up. I think the price will go up reguardless because of money printing. I told my friend the other day about silver and gold and he decided to dump 1k into shorting silver cause he told me it was going down to 34. This was 1 week ago. I don't know about shorting or how long you can hold on to it, but I wouldn't want to be in that boat right now.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by billxam
A lot of it has to do with supply. As an instance, Silver which is where I put my money (at $30/oz) has a problem. Suppliers can not make delivery. Thus, I guess it's more valuable because of that

Silver is at $44 currently. HUGE upswing in a short amount of time. Highest it's been since 1980. It is traditionally a volatile precious metal in terms of pricing, but so far it appears to be continually going up. If you do buy in, buy physical - American silver eagles are good. They expanded production to another mint to make up for shortages and are still delivering. But, word of warning - markets can be volatile. Who knows if it will hit a ceiling and drop soon or if it will double again due to the declining dollar and disconfidence in the stock market? Some say JP Morgan is artificially keeping the price down and once it can't anymore it will skyrocket, but again, who knows?
If you want silver coins for a SHTF scenario, you can always buy "junk silver"(pre-1965 dimes, quarters, and half dollars). If the economy reached total collapse, they will have value for their silver content. Look for local before you order from the internet and compare shop. Some dealers have higher add on fees.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong

Here is the gold and silver prices when the weimar republic started printing dollars. Pretty nuts.

www.bullionmark.com.au...

Thats crazy!
Maybe I'll be able to pay off my mortage 5 years with a couple ounces of gold

edit on 19-4-2011 by SnakeShot because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Everyone should invest at least a small percentage (10%-15%) of investable income into precious metals. I invested in gold at $400/oz and silver at $8/oz and I'm glad I did!

However, very soon we're going to have a major stock market meltdown. When that sell-off occurs, all commodity prices will fall along with the stock prices. If you own stocks now, I would sell and be in cash and ready to buy when the prices dip.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Gold has historical trending.
Eventually it will go down in price some.
wait for that dip in price and start to hoard as much gold as you can.
Even though for the last few years gold has sky rocketed off the charts.

You can see historical data here.
www.kitco.com...

if gold ever goes down to under 500 bucks again i'll be buying as much gold as i can.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Wheres all the people that usually say- "You can't eat gold"?
I'm sure they will enjoy eating the paper and credit cards when they are worthless though.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Edited to add: I bought the silver after I had a sufficient amount of food and other "items" in hand.

Bought in Feb. when, after researching the market, I showed the results to the wife. I said, we need to buy now, I'm taking 4 grand and buying. Oddly, she agreed. So I got a 100 troy ounce bar and a couple thousand in coins (coins carry a premium but are sold by weight - a 90% silver coin is worth that amount in silver). I got the coins as a SHTF fallback currency. Now, we have a friend who has collected gold coins for years and years and Friday he was crying that we should sell and sell now. I said, what, Comex found a closet full of silver? Obviously he was wrong.

Sorry I wasn't clearer in my post.

edit on 19-4-2011 by billxam because: added content

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SnakeShot
Wheres all the people that usually say- "You can't eat gold"?
I'm sure they will enjoy eating the paper and credit cards when they are worthless though.

Lets make a cookbook with some great dishes to make with your extra dollars and credit cards when they are worthless.

top topics

join