It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds of NYPD accused in corruption scandal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
rt.com...

As many as 400 New York City police officers may face disciplinary and possibly legal charges for allegedly taking bribes to help family and friends get out of parking and other traffic violations by simply losing the paperwork.'

The police department is apparently shocked by the spike in corruption and has been forced to reallocate lawyers into the department responsible for trials against police officers due to the rise in corruption cases.

The investigation into ongoing corruption began three years ago and is just now bearing fruit. Internal affairs detectives have spent months alone secretly recording police officers discussing ticket fixing.

In some cases documents were changed to reflect a different car license plate or driver’s license number. Often, officers would agree to simply not show up in court so speeding ticket violations would be dropped.

400? Thats a pretty big number.

Is this as serious as other corruption cases? No, not as bad in my opinion, since these are just parking/traffic violations. If it were more serious cases, such as robbery or murder, then it would be alot worse. But this still is corruption and needs to be fixed.

Is there corruption in more serious cases that havent been leaked out yet? I would think so.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
You know I find it strange that all of a sudden 'government' has began a crackdown. First Goldman Sachs is being charged with fraud, then the courtroom video I just watched regarding rigging elections and now this?

Hmm, call me a cynic but ... this just sounds too good to be true.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
That's great, now prosecute them the same way they do all the other criminals. And keep it up....

In a few years when there is no one left to be hired as Police Officers we might realize the system needs a shift in its way of thinking...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Maybe look at it from another angle. Perhaps these people can see the system for what it is, and are doing this for their family and friends because they are nothing more than petty laws that gain revenue for the greedy rich. Maybe the greedy rich are clamping down on this petty corruption to look like they are doing something, and to get their money back while the actual corruption remains unchecked.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

That would be a view that would paint cops in a positive light. Something that the fine members of ATS would never allow.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

No, they weren't just letting people off, they were looking to get some for themselves, cops looking for bribes is not a feel good story, it just twists the corruption and greed in a different direction. I wonder how many of these cops would give tickets just so that their buddies could reap the rewards by wiping the records clean. With 400 of them taking bribes in just one area you can be sure that somebody thought of that.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Well people can't be trusted, so maybe if we do that, we will one day have a fully operational Robocop, and not have to worry about brutal and corrupt police.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Why should cops be above the law the very laws they arrest if not kill to enforce. If the only people who can be a cop is a criminal then we would be better off without any. Who needs criminals in charge of a legal system. Hopefully they get flushed out and at least get fired if not put in jail.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
At this point, I would be more surprised by the headline:

"400 police officers nationwide found to be free of corruption!"

new topics

top topics

join