It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One of the World's Oldest Astronomy Sites: Egypt's Nabta Playa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Source

Egypt's Nabta Playa, some 6,000 to 8,000 years old, is "one of the world's earliest known examples of archeoastronomy." Astrophysicist Thomas G. Brophy suggests the hypothesis that the southerly line of three stones inside the calendar circle represented the three stars of Orion’s Belt and the other three stones inside the calendar circle represented the shoulders and head stars of Orion as they appeared in them in the sky.

These correspondences were for two dates -- circa 4,800 BC and at precessional opposition -- representing how the sky "moves" long term. Brophy proposes that the circle was constructed and used circa the later date, and the dual date representation was a conceptual representation of the motion of the sky over a precession cycle.

I ponder people this... What is with our ancient people and Orion?

Is it just a monster coincidence that a lot of our ancient temples/pyramids are set up to replicate the belt of Orion? Could this mean that the ancient astronaut theory is correct?

What I find the most funny about stories like these, is that ancient people, although "primitive" and without technology knew more about the skies than the majority of people nowadays. They knew more about cycles of our world and universe than scientists know today.

Had to share just because I thought this was so cool.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Star and Flag. Good find. I appreciate you sharing. I've been delving further and further into the ancient astronaut theory. It seems to be the only plausable explanation for most of the geological and architectual anomolies we see around the world. It seems either we were visited and that knowledge/technology left when/if the visitors left, was hidden away or lost upon the cataclysmic events that Earth has gone through. Keep digging. Maybe we'll get some more answers in our lifetime.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Wow.

First to make pyramids..
First to study the stars..
First to make the battery..

Keep digging!! Maybe we'll find an iPAD 2 B.C

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

I ponder people this... What is with our ancient people and Orion?
The alignment back then was pretty cool: (This Image Circa 4800BC)

If there is anything more to it than that, it is anybody's guess...

edit on 19-4-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

There has to be more, it's all around the world, why that constellation?

There is so many stars in the night sky, especially back then with no light pollution...
... why would they choose just this one?

I would have replicated the big dipper.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
reply to post by boncho

There has to be more, it's all around the world, why that constellation?

There is so many stars in the night sky, especially back then with no light pollution...
... why would they choose just this one?

I would have replicated the big dipper.

Pred...

Yep, I agree with you. One of my favorite stories is the Dogon tribe in Africa. But there are many problems with the historical account due to bad translations as well as inaccuracies from passing down information from generation to generation.

You notice that Orion's belt sort of points towards Sirius? I would love for more information to come out as to why our ancestors picked certain starts over other ones.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I believe so. Is that the one where the aboriginal people knew that Sirius had a smaller companion star? Something that we did not figure out till a couple years ago?

How cool is that, hey? If that's not proof we were either super advanced back in ancient times or, we have been visited by E.T.'s then people should stop trying to find it.

I hope that's the story.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Is it just a monster coincidence that a lot of our ancient temples/pyramids are set up to replicate the belt of Orion? Could this mean that the ancient astronaut theory is correct?

I'm not sure whether to ask you to define 'lot' or ask for examples of 'ancient temples/pyramids' that replicate Orion's Belt?

What I find the most funny about stories like these, is that ancient people, although "primitive" and without technology knew more about the skies than the majority of people nowadays. They knew more about cycles of our world and universe than scientists know today.

It's funny how you know more than 'scientists know today' and what 'ancient people' knew then. You should maybe email Brophy and put an end to all this speculation about our history.

Maybe the ancient astronauts used megaliths as their equivalent of a fridge post-it note to remind them of where the Orion Constellation was?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
s&f, nice find

I still dont understand how 'Debunkers' refuse to believe that we get visits from something other than Earth humans. Its so obvious to see that our ancient buildings ect could never have been made by humans alone.

As for astronomy, well how could they ever see what was in space without huge telescopes? I was recently given a large scope and i find it hard to see anything further than the north star

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky

I'm not sure whether to ask you to define 'lot' or ask for examples of 'ancient temples/pyramids' that replicate Orion's Belt?

Well there is this one, one of the first astronomy sites, and the great pyramids. Those two are kind of a big deal alone, are they not?

It's funny how you know more than 'scientists know today' and what 'ancient people' knew then. You should maybe email Brophy and put an end to all this speculation about our history.

Maybe the ancient astronauts used megaliths as their equivalent of a fridge post-it note to remind them of where the Orion Constellation was?

I'm not sure if you misread that but, in no way did I say I was smarter than anyone. And yes, if you pay attention, we are still learning from ancient people, there is many things that are interesting and they should not have known, case in point the post a couple above about how people knew sirius had a companion.

Who knows what they were for, that is what I was asking, why you came in here with a condescending tone is beyond my thought patterns, why it is hard for people to have intelligent conversations is beyond me.

If you do not have something constructive to say, say nothing at all...

Pred...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by iWokeUp

No kidding, although the more time spent with a telescope the better you get, as with everything. If people did not have so many distractions like they do in the present time, maybe we would spend more time investigating the heavens.

The idea of ancient astronauts is common through out many cultures and religions, whether they know it or not. In any religion they believe that god is not from this earth, making him, by default, extra terrestrial.

Aliens galore!!

Pred...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I'm not sure I know of any other ancient monuments that are said to be possibly aligned to Orion, do you have any you could give as examples?

Orion is one of the most prominent constellations in the sky - the belt is really easy to find and the alignment can seem significant to the eye, especially if you don't know the distances involved as they didn't then.

My theory on this is that as these groups of people took the earliest steps of an organised society and civilisation, they took note of the stars - they are majestic and wonderful, and began tracking the moving ones (planets) and noted the path the 'static' ones took across the sky. We know they used the stars to tell the seasons for agriculture - and I think that's important reason enough without thinking of aliens or gods or whatever.

Imagine keeping of track of these kind of things without writing, I imagine a rich oral tradition of story telling became the easiest way to remember times/"dates"/celestial movements and events, and it was probably down to just a few select people to sit up in the wee hours of the morning to track the stars and see the sun rise. In my opinion, these are the very beginnings of religion and the priest class in later, more organised civilisations that germinated from these seeds of science. I think it's fascinating, I'm in awe of the people that did this.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
i mean wow...the timing on this is crazy....im writing a paper...while researching ancient egypt... i noticed that there is definatly a link between most anceint religous sites and orion...due to one common feature...OSIRIS AND DIVINE REBIRTH... the fundamental building blocks of ancient religon and politics was the cycle of rebirth and its implication on the human...well actually the king.....the pyramids are built to orion as this is where osiris dwells waiting to be reborn...to add osiris is also...quetzalcoatl, jesus, anti-christ, djilal, and every othe rmug thats meant tp be reborn.....THESE ARE SOLAR CALENDARS, AND MAYBE, JUST MAYBE A COUNTDOWN TO THE REBIRTH OF THE DIVINE KING

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Since my Avatar is Orion and I have it listed as my home location, all I can say to you in the way of an answer is... Here be Dragons.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Megaliths like "Post-It notes"....
Yeah, I'm sure they were carrying these megaliths under their arm to stick 'm anywhere significant.
Could you perhaps give an example how easy it was for ancient people to move around 1000 ton megaliths and placing them perfectly on top of each other, in perfect alignment? Because I still haven't figured it out.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

During my search of ancient history via the "internets" which I'd love to turn into a hobby, I came across the ancient ruins of Nabta Playa. The very site where I found this structure has a foggy white ground and greenish background reflection with the stones spaced out. I began to count them and there were six stones in this picture.

I counted them because just one week ago I browsed through the newly released graphic novels in my local cafe and came across the book N. by Stephen King. You can actually replace the Nabta Playa with the cover of N. and this book is about a man who loses his mind when he believes the number of stones he sees with the naked eye aren't balanced with the stones seen through glass but theres more to the story of course. much more

Now that I've seen the real life stones I wonder what book 2 has in store for it's readers and what does Stephen know about this structure that we normals don't

new topics

top topics

join