It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egyptians Court U.S. Foes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Well, surprise, surprise ----- not!

The path Egypt took after their revolution could have taken one of two paths, one towards better relations with the West, or towards an iran-style islamic state. This news possibly gives some hints on the path the Egyptians are actually taking.

source

Iran and Egypt's new government signaled Monday they were moving quickly to thaw decades of frosty relations, worrying the U.S., Israel and Saudi Arabia that the overtures could upset the Mideast's fragile balance of power.

Iran said it appointed an ambassador to Egypt for the first time since the two sides froze diplomatic relations more than three decades ago, the website of the Iranian government's official English-language channel, Press TV, reported late Monday.

Also Monday, officials at Egypt's Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed that new foreign minister Nabil Elaraby is considering a visit to the Gaza Strip—an area controlled by Hamas, a militant Palestinian Islamist group backed by Tehran and until now shunned by Cairo.

Not looking good ...

edit on 4/19/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
They had great relations with the west with Mubarak, at least him and his military did. Of course the west's way isn't how most of the people there want to live. They don't support a seige on Gaza and they don't like the west intermingling in their internal affairs.

I say let them work it out themselves and stay out of it. Its not America's job to fix all this crap. It makes more people hate us around the world.

Iran wouldn't be a foe if America actually tried to work things out. Of course they are still bitter from that whole Operation Ajax thing and supporting Iraq to fight them after the Shah was overthrown. Wouldn't you be a little bitter?
edit on 19-4-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
They had great relations with the west with Mubarak, at least him and his military did. Of course the west's way isn't how most of the people there want to live. They don't support a seige on Gaza and they don't like the west intermingling in their internal affairs.

I say let them work it out themselves and stay out of it. Its not America's job to fix all this crap. It makes more people hate us around the world.

Iran wouldn't be a foe if America actually tried to work things out. Of course they are still bitter from that whole Operation Ajax thing and supporting Iraq to fight them after the Shah was overthrown. Wouldn't you be a little bitter?

Possibly.

But doesn't the U.S. then also have a right to be "bitter" about the 444 day embassy hostage issue?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

They took hostages because they demanded the US return Shah for trial. The guy that the US installed. There was a reason behind the madness. I'm sure after a few decades of being ruled by a brutal dictator you get pretty upset. They never just took hostages for no reason.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Egypt has been back and forth over the past several decades.

Recall they were a client state of the Soviets in the fifties, sixties, and seventies, and the Soviets sent them tons of tons of tons of tanks, missiles, trucks, weapons, artillery, etc.

Since that didn't exactly perform very well in 1967, or 1973, note what kind of hardware they have now.

And who has the parts?

They aren't the brightest people in the world, but if they side up against Gaza (some of the dumbest people in existence) - you see, that makes the Egyptians look bright by comparison.

That's the same principle I see here. Lots of dumbasses group together knowing that many of their "associates" make even THEM look smart.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by FarArcher
Egypt has been back and forth over the past several decades.

Recall they were a client state of the Soviets in the fifties, sixties, and seventies, and the Soviets sent them tons of tons of tons of tanks, missiles, trucks, weapons, artillery, etc.

Since that didn't exactly perform very well in 1967, or 1973, note what kind of hardware they have now.

And who has the parts?

They aren't the brightest people in the world, but if they side up against Gaza (some of the dumbest people in existence) - you see, that makes the Egyptians look bright by comparison.

That's the same principle I see here. Lots of dumbasses group together knowing that many of their "associates" make even THEM look smart.

Are you saying America's education system is superior to Egypts? lol.

As far as Gaza I'm sure they would be educated if their schools weren't bombed. Kinda funny to bomb people's schools then call them stupid.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong

They took hostages because they demanded the US return Shah for trial. The guy that the US installed. There was a reason behind the madness. I'm sure after a few decades of being ruled by a brutal dictator you get pretty upset. They never just took hostages for no reason.

And so how does that not qualify the U.S. to also be "bitter".

Are you
trying to make the case that iran's reason is better than the U.S. reason?

Anyway, this thread is not about the iran hostage crisis and their violations of international law that an embassy is sovereign territory.

It is about egypt's possible and apparent tilt toward the iranian form of theocracy. Which is not good news for anyone but the mullah's.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

I'm not condoning anything, but chances are there wouldn't have been a "hostage crisis" if the US wouldn't have been meddling in the first place.

On Topic:

As far as Egypt turning into Iran, it seems that they are totally different. The Iranian revolution was led by kohmeni (sp?) though audio tapes and he was their spiritual leader. I'd say most of Cairo is more westernized than I am. They eat KFC and watch the Academy Awards. (judging from all the egyptians i follow on twitter). This revolution did not have an islamic undertone like Iran's did. (although the MSM would want you to believe that) I'm sure there are people who want that kind of government there but its far from the majority and most wont stand for it.

Then again this could all be some weird CIA operation and having the Muslim Brotherhood come to power might be the thing they want in order to justify war. Who knows.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

Well, it the Gazans didn't just launch rockets and mortars into Israel, prompting counterattacks, it's likely none of the Gazan school system would be disturbed.

Exactly how many schools were targeted by the Israelis as you suggest?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   

" The path Egypt took after their revolution could have taken one of two paths, one towards better relations with the West, or towards an iran-style islamic state. This news possibly gives some hints on the path the Egyptians are actually taking. "

Egyptians Court U.S. Foes

U.S Foes?.. laughable characterization.

Average Americans have zero reasons I can think of to consider average Iranians as "Foes".. last I checked Iranians weren't setting up "papers please" gestapo roadblocks, er, I mean "Sobriety, license and safety check points", rigging elections, extending the patriot act, or doling out billions & trillions of YOUR GRAND-KIDS dollars to Wall Street cronies.

A statistically insignificant number of elitist DC douche bags.. dislike a statistically insignificant number of elitist Iranian douche bags. BFD.. Elitist drama is irrelevant to average folks..

Egypt's statistically insignificant ruling juntas friends list doesn't alter my day... they can poke n korea, frolic naked in Chinese party bath-houses and cuddle with chavez for all I care. If it pisses off the clowns in DC, lol.. all the better and so f'n what.

As a "US citizen", I have no personal experience that causes me to fear or dislike strangers.. and no reason to consider foreigners "foes" or "enemies".

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by GovtFlu

Average Americans have zero reasons I can think of to consider average Iranians as "Foes"..

The above is the laughable quote - so here you go.

The reason is simple - for most of us.

The "average" Americans and "average" iranians have nothing to say about any of the disputes between the two countries.

new topics

top topics

join