It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion (How I think it suckers people)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tygart

Originally posted by Praetorius
reply to post by Tygart

Sad truth, friend, take religion away and you aren't going to see a lot of much better behaviour (look into communist China, North Korea, and stalinist russia). People are people, and will use whatever excuse they can to justify perversity.

I'd just like to remind you that words are just words, but actual christians will not fit the description you provide (Gandhi had the same problem - "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."). Even the bible foretold as much - Matthew ch. 7:

22On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

Don't worry, those are earning their own just rewards - sadly. For whatever it's worth, my apologies on your bad experiences with those claiming to represent the faith.

I know that true Christians are not that way.

I would not want to spend forever with a God that would burn in hell a Buddhist, Muslim or anyone who spent their lives loving and helping their fellow man.

IMO the NAME Jesus is not what we need, but his teaching.

I know he is not that way, so I am not going to worry about it.

edit on 19-4-2011 by Tygart because: (no reason given)

What is NOS???
edit on 19-4-2011 by Tygart because: (no reason given)

my bad. NOS is Nitrous Oxide. When injected into and engine it creates extreme amounts of power which make the piston blasts much more powerfull. Causing big explosions or bigger hotter fire.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mthgs602

that sounds fun....

Thanks, was not thinking science or I would have Googled it.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Thank you Tygart. I get so frustrated when people call others ignorant. Its like certain people dont know the meaning of the word.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Fair points, all, and I can't offer any defense against what you say here as it is true. It's all a matter of perspective and personal application. I wish it weren't this way, but my libertarian views extend here as well - everyone has to be judged as and treated individually, and not on a collectivist level.

As far as christianity itself goes, though, there is a simple test given in the bible - "By this we may know that we are in him: whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked."

I think the fairest way for us to judge if we are is to compare the way we live to the best example, the earliest church immediately following the events of the bible - humble, pacificist even to the point of non-defense, and doing no harm ('wise as serpents, harmless as doves'). Mainstream christianity is far off the beaten path with its adoption of romish practices that have spread into pretty much all other churches.

Thanks for your input, it's well and true.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing

ADD: If you're atheist, everyone else is wrong.

(this is coming from someone that would refer to himself as an atheist)

I'm sorry, it's just that all this religious argument crap is a bunch of bull-# that is usually spouted by people that are either:

A) Stressingly unsure about their state of atheism/theism or,
B) Sheep that like to jump on the bandwagon of the next "Hip" thing.

Come flame my statement.
edit on 19-4-2011 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

Well i appreciate the opinion. Seems as if you know a lot of insecure people and or followers. What region is this so i can document what the area seems to follow(Religion that is).

Thanks

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Tygart

I would not want to spend forever with a God that would burn in hell a Buddhist, Muslim or anyone who spent their lives loving and helping their fellow man.

Well, that's actually one spot I've been getting hung up on, lately. First off, with what I read in the bible, I don't believe those going to 'hell' are in for eternal torment in the first place. There are a few verses that the church likes to take that way, but I disagree with them.

As as I read it, the gift of God is eternal life, and those who don't accept the gift don't HAVE eternal life (as compared to having it in flaming torment). Then there's the matter of those who have never heard the message (or never had it properly relayed to them) tying into a verse that says "And the sea gave up the dead who were in it, Death and Hades gave up the dead who were in them, and they were judged, each one of them, according to what they had done."

These are a few reasons I think the typical christian view is not so clearly defined as they like to think it is, and I'm still trying to sort through these matters.

Thanks friend.

edit on 4/19/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius
reply to post by Tygart

Well, that's actually one spot I've been getting hung up on, lately. First off, with what I read in the bible, I don't believe those going to 'hell' are in for eternal torment in the first place. There are a few verses that the church likes to take that way, but I disagree with them.

As as I read it, the gift of God is eternal life, and those who don't accept the gift don't HAVE eternal life (as compared to having it in flaming torment). Then there's the matter of those who have never heard the message (or never had it properly relayed to them) tying into a verse that says "And the sea gave up the dead who were in it, Death and Hades gave up the dead who were in them, and they were judged, each one of them, according to what they had done."

These are a few reasons I think the typical christian view is not so clearly defined as they like to think it is, and I'm still trying to sort through these matters.

Thanks friend.

edit on 4/19/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

I agree, the bible talks about a second death, I think that means being wiped out of existence.

I think we will all find out soon enough.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Actually I like to hang around people that don't really care about another persons religion, so I find myself with friends that are hindu,christian, atheist and muslim. I base my opinion on the futile yet ego-stroking act of religious debate as seen on the internet, on tv, and in real-life.

Sydney, Australia, by the way. A cesspool of cultures

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing

Actually I like to hang around people that don't really care about another persons religion, so I find myself with friends that are hindu,christian, atheist and muslim. I base my opinion on the futile yet ego-stroking act of religious debate as seen on the internet, on tv, and in real-life.

Sydney, Australia, by the way. A cesspool of cultures

No no no.....ha ha....its not that i care which religion people choose.......i just dont understand why people choose it at all.

Hmm...i like that actually. You just helped me sum it up rather well.

edit on 19-4-2011 by mthgs602 because: missed a word

top topics

<< 1   >>

join