It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dangers of Microwave Radiation Cannot be Ignored

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Source

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5acad1983fe4.jpg[/atsimg]

An experiment conducted at home for a high school science fair five years ago has verified the dangers of microwave ovens not only to humans, but even to plants and other organic matter. The experiment showed that microwaved water given to a plant causes the plant to wither and die within days; however, another identical plant given water that was boiled on a conventional stove grew normally during the same time period.

Many studies conducted throughout the world have repeatedly highlighted the deleterious effects of microwave ovens on human health. In fact microwave ovens are so dangerous that they were banned in Russia from 1976 to 1987. Twenty years of thorough research by Russian scientists convinced them that the dangers of the devices outweighed the benefits in cooking time. This experiment further verifies their findings.

In the home experiment, filtered water was divided into two parts. One part would be microwaved and allowed to cool before being given to the plant, while the second part would be heated on a conventional stove top and given to an identical plant. Results were observed over a nine day period. By the third day it was already clear that the plant given the microwaved water was not faring as well as its counterpart.

By the ninth day the microwaved plant was virtually nonexistent in its pot, having literally shrunk in size to just a few inches above the soil. The second plant was growing beautifully.

Wow!!

Do not get me wrong, I always knew that microwaves were never really good for us and provided no extra nutrition, to see result like these kind of blows my mind.

I think that I will throw my microwave out now. :p

Just had to share these findings to all of you so that actual results can be seen as this is fairly important.

Any thoughts?

Pred...
edit on 19-4-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
They say our microwave ovens are safe as long as we don't stand too close to them. I bet they told the guys who opperated the first microwave towers the same thing. They all died from the radiation.
There should be some science to show why the microwave water plant did so poorly. Maybe science cannot tell us why. We should use science to answer this question, but there is no money in it, so science sits unused. But we can cook a potato in minutes!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I will be using my microwave alot less now..... Thanks

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
i always wondered about the microwave effect, even stopped using them for a while about 2 years ago. from what i read many scientist use microwaves for things like coffee in their work areas and have no reported ill effect so its said to be safe. iv since changed my mind on that and have one at arms length away along with minifridge right now

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
So I shouldn't put my face up to the microwave and watch my grits so they don't boil over?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I have generally avoided using microwave ovens whenever possible in the last few years, but I've been unconsciously more lax about it recently because I haven't had a lot of time... I was just pondering the question of microwave safety last night, I'm glad you posted this.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I thought this sounded retarded.

www.snopes.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Of course, this means I'm going to preform the same experiment. I hate killing most things, it will be disturbing if the microwave-water plant dies. Brings me back to my grade 8 science experiment on acid rain...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I wonder if the microwave is destroying the nutrients in the water, or is the water being irradiated which in turn has a negative effect on the growth? Or none of the above and something entirely different?

Either way I always had a suspicion that microwaved food had the nutrition zapped out of it. It's amazing such a simple experiment could have such a huge meaning.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

I kind of figure its not going to do anything. However, he makes reference to the practice of heating blood in the microwave and how hemolysis was the only worry... I just find the whole idea of putting someone's transfusion in the microwave terribly disturbing and it seems to me that it would have a potential to damage DNA.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Microwaves are evil!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Another argument is that the food that people normally cook in microwaves is processed food with questionable meat content, and is full of additives and fat. Not exactly the peak of healthy eating. It seems to be a good idea to try and ween people off of this type of food, you just have to be careful which argument you use as the microwaved water experiment seems to be inconclusive.

I live with someone who eats 2 microwave curries a night after work, so it might take a while to convince him.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by corporaldoom

It has already been established that if its in a plastic container, the plastic will leach into the food.

slowdeathbyrubberduck.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Microwaves reduce vitamin b12 in foods......that's probably why so many have a b12 deficientcy these days.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Why would they go to the effort? They show the clippings and then the whole process through pictures,Why not believe them? The clippings look similar, and the process looks close the whole way through, until the 5-9th day.

I do not really use snopes as a reference because it is ran by a husband and wife, who do it as a hobby, so that in and of itself is a little iffy. Thanks for the link though.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Not just microwaves affect water. So does other EM radiation, including your
cell phone. Don't keep your cell phone in your pocket guys....
www.sakthifoundation.org...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

I found this thread to be very interesting.
When my coffee cools down,I always heat
it up in the microwave.Sometimes,I have
to stand in front of the microwave and hold
the door closed.
I wonder what this could be doing to my health?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Please realize that a microwave uses a device called a magnetron which produces high radio frequency to excite water molecules which in turn creates heat. There is no RADIATION whatsoever involved here. This is a marketing error dating back to the 60's that still to this day has everyone thinking they have a mini nuclear reactor in their kitchens.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Creedo

im thinking it probably flattens the water like some kind of de-aeration from the fast moving molecules

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Trials: 1, sample size: 1. That's not an experiment.
edit on 19/4/2011 by finalword because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join