It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**If we invade will there be a draft?**

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

At anytime feel free to move to Canada but while you live here if the country calls on you to fight it is VERY shameful to turn your back and hide with your tail between your legs. There is nothing brave or honorable about being a chicken #.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerman24
And i am not a coward so i would not run to Canada.

Was Muhammad Ali a coward? He was a draft dodger. Just saying.

But that said, I do not think we will bring back the draft.As you know there is a huge waiting list just to get in. Plus with technology as it is today, we do not always need more men. Think of how military technology is gearing up towards unmanned planes, drones etc...

So no, I don't think the draft will be brought back anytime soon... At least I hope not... I am 23....

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

You would think as would I and they mentioned this in the program. Surprisingly they reported that more men were discharged from armed services for alcohol related disorderly conduct than were women from pregnancy, per ca pita. Another panelist countered, when there are more women in infantry positions you will see more pregnancies and that number go up. So far however it doesn't seem to be a factor. Some interesting views here from prev. Pres debate.

edit on 19-4-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by badgerman24

A draft is when your government TELLS all able bodied male and female people in military familys to be brought into the army (canadian verson of Red Alert Draft) meaning anyone whos uncle is a sgt. or w/e youll be drafted, or if you had a grandfather who fought in the army BUT your line gained Bi-polar though mother or father you would be evaluated and then if you were good on pills you would have them with you on the field. its not pretty, and yes as one person has said you will see it all over your TV and by then it should explain more.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
A bit late to the thread, but...
The draft never ended.

Induction orders have not been mailed since 1973, but if needed,
induction orders could be in the mail 24 hours after the order was signed by the President.

The SSS runs a drill on this procedure once a year.
Link

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
DRAFT! what the hek. in the 21st century we can be forced to fight.....#BULL. What about human rights. if no one fights there is no war.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I'd burn my card and shoot anyone that comes looking for me. I won't fight an illegal war to make some pig's pockets fatter.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
1) England sending ground troops into Libya does not mean the US does.
2) The Libya mission is a joint NATO task-force; not a specifically American led operation, which means that it would be highly unlikely.
3) There was no draft required for Iraq or Afghanistan and we are actively pulling troops out of Afghanistan, therefore, there should be no need for a draft in Libya.
4) Your OP presents no original research, comments from credited pundits/government officials/or even logical sense that there would be a draft for a battle in Libya.

Your reasoning seems to be as follows:
The US is a part of a coalition of NATO forces defending rebel forces from brutal attacks from Gaddafi.
The UK government, on it's own volition, has considered placing troops on the ground in an attempt to stabilize the situation, while not mentioning American co-involvment at all.
Therefore, there most likely will be a draft of American citizens to fight in Libya.

You do realize that we have invaded countless countries, some on a much larger scale than this, since the last time we had a selective service draft? (The Vietnam War). Iraq I and II, the Central American wars of the 80's, Afghanistan, Kosovo, so on, so forth.

Please, let's stop the fear mongering that this post is providing and take a clear and lucid look at the facts and remember that the motto of ATS is DENY IGNORANCE, .

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by zcflint05

I was asking a simple question because at the time i posted it i read a diff post about the lack of troops because we are in some many diff countries. It was just for information. no need to act like an ass.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I am curious as to what might happen if one refused to serve.

My mother was raised with a male cousin who had been orphaned (his father died in a mining accident).

On his 21st birthday he was drafted to serve in WWII. He told my grandfather that he didn't want to go.

My grandfather told him that he had to go, otherwise he would face execution by a firing squad. Apparently, that's what was done in those days.

He was blown up within days of landing on Belgian soil.

He is of course, one of thousands who we have to thank for our freedom but he had such a sad life, that I felt compelled to share his story.

Returning to my question though, surely the government couldn't execute those who refuse to serve if there was a modern-day draft? Wouldn't it be considered a human rights violation in today's world?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Reaching

They can be charged with desertion or treason

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
The draft in this day and age is no longer something that should be or even considered. The only reasons why it should be considered is if there is a mass shortage in the numbers of people serving in the armed services. The way a draft works, from what I have heard by people who served when there was one, is that the military services would put in the number of persons required, and then it was simply each person would be inducted into the different branches as was required. The only way to get into the service of choice was to join, thus avoiding the draft fully, or by dodging it by immigrating to another country.
But there are other questions as to the standards that they would require in a draft. The country is more diverse, and social values change, would the military be willing to change to allow those that they would find undesirable into the military to serve their country? Women are not traditionally drafted, and as the current conflicts have shown, many children are often left in the care of relatives while both parents serve. Then there is the one little issue that is dogging the US military currently, and that is to either allow or not allow homosexuals to serve openly in the US military. And any current draft, if the policies have not changed, all the person has to do is show up and tell them that they are gay, and thus not able to serve in the military. Currently the military has always stated that such is undesirable and not allowed. If there was to be a draft, then the military would have to change its policies and the UCMJ to accommodate the changes in society, or it will find that many of the people that is called, will be excused as they would be considered undesirable. Another way, and this is also another way that a person could get out of military service is to declare themselves to be a conscious objector, and refuses to fight or kill another being. That route would require that they stick to their words, even in the face of imprisonment.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Unless Muslim armies are marching on a western nation, there will not be a draft. The protests and riots would bring the nation to it's knees.

Politicians don't get it that we expect more from them... They don't realize that many citizens can name a few dozen reasons why they should be removed from office, the lot of them... But I assure you that as a group at least, they are not yet drunk enough to force citizens to fight their wars unwillingly.. They don't wanna get strung up...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Ok I'm not saying this is going to happen or even likely to happen just a question.

In countries which have mandatory military service (I think Denmark, Norway and Korea has it I know. Probably way more) how easy is it to call people back into service once they have finished their run? Is it possible to object?

I'm assuming it is way more possible to do in one of the Scandinavian countries than in say Russia or Korea.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerman24
1) Do you think there will be a draft here in the U.S.A.?

Inevitably. Since our troops are scattered across the globe, the overall defense of the United States are being strained. Its only a mater of time. I'm actually looking forward to a military draft, so that we can teach Obama supporters a thing about honor, courage, and nationalism. It would be a good lesson for all US Citizens.

2) How does the draft work? I know it is like a lotto with birthdays but does it break down into years or just days?
Its a lottery based upon birth-year and birth-month. If you are between the ages of 18 to 25, you will be entered into the lottery. Selective service's website has an outline explaining the process.

3) IF there was a draft when do you think it would start?

At the current moment, Obama needs voters to win the 2012 election. If a military draft would go into affect, it will be put into place after the election. Keep in mind that Obama was a hippie, so our military forces would have to be very-very strained for him to enact a draft. My guess would be 2014/2015.

Now, we are having issue with China. If we have a global war, we all have to serve in some manner.

edit on 12-5-2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
--nevermind--
edit on 12-5-2011 by Signals because: classified

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

Yeah they say that now, but when it comes to it, I bet you they will all be crying and do not want to go. Like they will be seeing live action anyway, active duty woman are a very special type of woman, they have to be.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Reaching

No not execution, but a very lengthy prison stay, possibly if they got a conviction of treason on you, treason to the United States is punishable by death.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerman24

Thats right freedom is not free.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
There will not have to be a draft, per se. I think it will give our g'ment a chance to think outside of the box... One million people have lost their homes due to foreclosure, oh I see that your entire town has been flooded by that army corps of engineers, is unemployment really at nine percent.
What are we going to do with all these people? Offer them a once in a life time chance to enlist in the newest army platoon. Just add their pay to our tab-- that's ok with you China right? ---We're not going to war with China are we?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join