It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**If we invade will there be a draft?**

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Ok i read an artical about england sending ground troops into libya. (www.thesun.co.uk...) I can only guess if the U.K. sends troops we will not be far behind. We have to be getting close to or limit on troops. This isn't even counting the fact that there are many places in the world that could break into war at any min. So now i have some questions about the draft. I was not alive during the nam era so i'm not sure about the details of a draft. So if you could help answer my questions i would be very greatful. Thank you.

1) Do you think there will be a draft here in the U.S.A.?
2) How does the draft work? I know it is like a lotto with birthdays but does it break down into years or just days?
3) IF there was a draft when do you think it would start?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerman24

it'll be easy to spot my friend

they'll replace pdiddys vote or die vid/song to FIGHT OR DIE

and it'll be on a tv near you soon

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectrumSeven

FIGHT OR DIE MOFO

my avatar dances wooop
edit on 19-4-2011 by SpectrumSeven because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
You can read all about it at the official website, at least as far as the USA is concerned.

They prefer the more friendly sounding name "Selective Service".

www.sss.gov...

It's not the SS, it's the SSS. Cute! X-(

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
One rule above all. Never cite The Sun newspaper as a viable news source!!

This is after all who's only worthy feature is that of publishing a daily picture of a topless woman on page 3.

Was never really known for it's journalistic insight!!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I happened to be flipping through the channels and saw a panel of women discussing this. A big question will be whether or not to include women in a mandatory draft and the prevailing opinion is yes. I agree with them. If the draft is good enough for men, it should be equally suitable for women to be drafted.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

its not a good news in the sun, headline news on that paper is cheating footballers and kate price's latest squeeze

take with pinch of salt

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
there is no need for a draft. the military is over maned plus people are joining because of bad economy. what makes you think we would need one?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

I would rather be drafted then let any woman. Its not sexist just the truth. I don't think they should have to go. If they sign up then sure let them fight but they should not be made to fight.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The birthday lotter depends on the draft. Usually it is 18-25, but can extend higher if need be and certain things like doctors can go much higher as needed. If the first one is April 19, then all 18-25 year olds born on April 19 will be drafted into service by one of the Armed Forces.

As to if there will be a draft, depends on the situation. If existing forces can handle it in a short time then no, no draft. Think of the Gulf War under Daddy Bush. If things looked like they would take a long time, then yes. But consider this, none of the military wants a draft. They would rather have volunteers.

There are other types of drafts, but the birthday lottery is the most fair. And if you are way down on the list, chances are you won't go unless you get a letter before the next lottery. Of course the next lottery could be your birthday in the top 5 so there you go.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by 0001391

Thank you for the link!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

A good indicator of a comming draft in the states would be all the veterans that were discharged within the last 10 years first. Another good indicator would be when they stop letting people out of the military.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Let me start by saying... cancel your trip to Canada....

the Pentagon has stated time and time again they cannot go back to the old draft...
today's modern battlefield is so complex in many cases it takes a year or more (sometimes years) to train today's solders...

long gone are the days where they could grab you up hand you a rifle and say "Go get em boys"... works in the movies but not in real life...

Besides with the unemployment what it is there are very long waiting lists just to get in

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I know there is a wait. I'm on the waiting list I was told not until september. I was just wondering how a draft worked. And i am not a coward so i would not run to Canada.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

That would never work...pregnant women would be excluded....pregnancies in U.S. would skyrocket

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
If there is a draft, I think they still have to test you to see if you qualify for service. If you are overweight or mentally challenged, you won't be fit. If they ask you to do the duck walk, make sure you fall over a lot and don't do it right.
If you take an intelligence test, answer things wrong.

Pretend to have autism or something. Look at your hands and mutter to yourself. Talk about trains a lot.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
This news has also been reported on the BBC, which is slightly more credible than The Sun.

www.bbc.co.uk...

The government can go to hell.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerman24

I know there is a wait. I'm on the waiting list I was told not until september. I was just wondering how a draft worked. And i am not a coward so i would not run to Canada.

Back in the day...
Through the lottery process, each person was designated a number according to their birthday,
, birth dates were picked in random order, and assigned a number that corresponded with the order that they were picked in.
say today is 4/19/11 they would draw a number from 1 to 10 for it... if they picked a 1 everyone born today might be drafted at a future date... if they drew a 10 odd's were pretty good they would be left alone
Those With the lowest numbers being drafted first.

however in many other countries,(Israel comes to mind) military service is mandatory, and when you reach your enlistment age you automatically are put into the military service.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerman24

There is NOTHING cowardly about refusing to fight in a dirty, evil war, and refusing to accept the consequences for it too. THEY would be, and already are, the cowards.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I just can't see it happening.

Technically we can't afford to repave a street without borrowing money, let alone to conscript more soldiers.

The US is also much more unrestful than it appears on the surface, socially, in regards to the actions and attitudes of our government. I have never heard so much discussion of revolt on so many different levels, from ordinary people. The government would be ill advised to continue pushing buttons.

The taste for activism is growing daily and I feel that there is a very large number of citizens that are already willing but lack leadership and direction.

If they institute a draft, it will be one more nail in their coffin.

Even just 5 years ago I would never have imagined the sentiments I hear daily now, not in America.
The power structures, from top to bottom seem almost oblivious to the reality they face in the coming years.

<<   2  3 >>

join