It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gold Reaches $1,500 For First Time In History

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

CNN BREAKING NEWS-- Gold reaches $1,500 an ounce for the first time.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I was told it's not because the apperciation for Gold is going up, rather that the American Dollar is going down; most gold is traded in Dollars.

I think the World Bank is going in for an ol' fashion "GOLD GRAB". So many commercials on T.V from the "Cash Store" and "Insta-Loans" and "Money Mart" stating you come in and get CASH FOR GOLD within minutes... + those places you can mail them the gold and they'll send you a cheque within days.

Although, it could be purposely set to a high value just to get the populous of the world to sell off during these hard time and give the World Bank the ability to buy all major stocks.

Who knows?... Either way... 1,500$ is wild and I recommend people hold off for a few more years before trading this solid, and secure, resource in for paper fiat cash.

edit on 19-4-2011 by CanadianDream420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420

I was told it's not because the apperciation for Gold is going up, rather that the American Dollar is going down; most gold is traded in Dollars.

They will say anything to keep people from buying Gold...
And when the people have too much Gold, the Government will confiscate it!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
money.cnn.com...
Your link is invisible.

Answering my own questions. I had no idea, but it was less than $300, 10 years ago.
That just makes the $1500 seem like that much more to me.

goldprice.org...

edit on 4/19/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420

CNN BREAKING NEWS-- Gold reaches $1,500 an ounce for the first time.

(visit the link for the full news article)

All i can say is Gordon brown got it completley wrong when he sold britains gold reserves. LMAO!

He's supposed to be some kind of Economic expert.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Silver might reach 44 today or tomorrow. That's where to invest IMO. Not only is it out performing gold but it's something that an average budget can handle.

Just a thought.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Here's the best gold and silver chart on the internet by a mile. All currencies from 10 minutes to 20 year charts:

www.bullionvault.com...
edit on 19-4-2011 by DanUKphd because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
The real peak, adjusting for inflation was 1980 with a price of $2251. We are still a long way off from that, but coming up on in quickly.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
well hold on to hats folks the downward spiral has begun www.kitco.com... gold will now be on a out of control no stop free fall.It has begun.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
This should be a sign to start stocking up on food, not gold and silver.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Silver might reach 44 today or tomorrow. That's where to invest IMO. Not only is it out performing gold but it's something that an average budget can handle.

Just a thought.

From what I understand, precious metals are not to be used as an "investment". Unless of course you are manipulating the market for that reason...which I doubt anyone here has the capabilities to do...but I do think it is being done and the common folk are being used as the funds for it.

It smells like a bubble to me. In the housing bubble, housing was being "sold" as a solid investment...kind of sound familiar huh???

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

did you get your info from here www.pbs.org... from the link

Why Is the Price of Gold So High?

gold bars; via Flickr

Question: Why is the price of gold at a record high? And how does that affect the dollar?

Paul Solman: Gold is denominated in dollars. So if gold goes up, it means the dollar has gone down, because it takes more dollars to buy the same amount of gold. Now why would ANYONE invest in gold, you might well ask? It doesn't pay interest. It's a pain to store and hold. I love this exchange, cut down some for clarity and space, with Oakland, CA
good reading

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Originally posted by jude11

Just a thought.

From what I understand, precious metals are not to be used as an "investment". Unless of course you are manipulating the market for that reason...which I doubt anyone here has the capabilities to do...but I do think it is being done and the common folk are being used as the funds for it.

It smells like a bubble to me. In the housing bubble, housing was being "sold" as a solid investment...kind of sound familiar huh???

+1 precious metals and commodities are not investments, they are hedges.

The problem with most speculative traders is they do far too little work to capitalize on swings like this. They say: “wow, my neighbor Tom bought silver at $6/oz and its at $44 today, I got to get in on that” only to have missed the boat by months and wind up getting screwed when the price comes back down.

I would state quite simply that if you have “investments” hedge them with commodities now. If you don’t have “investments”, don’t go out and buy $5K in gold or silver, the money is better spent paying down bills or buying some staples like food, medicine, and bullets.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
reply to post by SirMike

did you get your info from here www.pbs.org... from the link

Why Is the Price of Gold So High?

gold bars; via Flickr

Question: Why is the price of gold at a record high? And how does that affect the dollar?

Paul Solman: Gold is denominated in dollars. So if gold goes up, it means the dollar has gone down, because it takes more dollars to buy the same amount of gold. Now why would ANYONE invest in gold, you might well ask? It doesn't pay interest. It's a pain to store and hold. I love this exchange, cut down some for clarity and space, with Oakland, CA
good reading

Gold and silver are outperforming EVERY currency, not just the USD.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrypticCriminal
All i can say is Gordon brown got it completley wrong when he sold britains gold reserves. LMAO!

Just like in Australia, 1997, John Howard sold two thirds of the gold reserves in one hit.

Said he'd rather have the cash.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
And it's just a coincidence that Libya has a pretty big gold reserve eh?

And that the gold standard was phased out years ago by most countries.

Ready for the currency collapse, so that the new world currency can be based on gold perhaps?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Just a quick question to the gold buyers as I'm not one of them, when you "buy" gold do you actually receive the physical pieces of gold? Or do you just get a piece of paper that says you "own" gold that's somewhere in some vault that you can never see?

I'm pretty sure its the second, soo... what guarantee is there that you're actually going to get anything? What if sh#t really hits the fan, what is your piece of paper going to do? What if the gold just goes missing(like on 911)? What if the grid goes down and all the records of who owns what is lost? What if nobody wants to buy your gold(piece of paper) then what worth does it really have? If SHTF and we have a period of bartering, who's going to want gold? You can't eat it can't drink it and you'd need some lot of it to make a shelter out of it...

I don't trust the whole gold idea...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I suggest investing into spiritual gold, last longer...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by WielderOfTheSwordOfTruth

Owning physical gold and owning gold certificates: there are pro’s and cons to both propositions.

Owning physical gold means you take the personal liability for it. If someone were to break into your home and steal it, that’s it, its gone, say bye bye. Even if you insure it and its stolen you are still paying a premium to your insurance carrier. Owning a certificate gives you the security of knowing the physical security is someone else’s liability and not yours. The credibility of the certificate issuers is good and they have a long track record of honoring their commitment.

OTOH, possessing the physical gold means if TSHTF, you don’t have to count on a piece of paper to recover your assets because its always in your hot little hands. I suppose if TSHTF is bad enough, even physical gold will be worthless, but that’s another topic. There is always the possibility, all be it remote, that the certificate is garbage and there never was any real asset there in the first place, but a lot of safeguards and accounting have to be circumvented to pull that feat off.

For what its worth, I take physical possession on all my silver and gold and have it insured as a separate rider on my homeowners policy.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by WielderOfTheSwordOfTruth

HEY you cant eat or drink paper money but you hold onto it like its worth something. how can something that can be printed to infinity be worth something? the experiment is a fail and you will see it soon.

In the history of the world all peoples were paid in silver and gold, all the way up to 1964 American coins had silver in them, your dollar was certified silver or gold and could be exchanged for the metal. Not anymore. Its a paper note not backed by ANYTHING but the full faith and credit of the Federal Reserve, A.K.A privet bank

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join