It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Spends 73,000 Tax Dollars On Red Superhero Capes For The Unemployed

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
This is just wrong, in so many different ways its hard to find the right words.

Derisible insanity!

Workforce Central Florida, a back-to-work agency run by local businesses but funding by the state, is handing out six thousand red superhero caper to local unemployed, part of a $73,000 campaign called the “Cape-A-Bility Challenge”involving the comic character “Dr. Evil Unemployment”. The capes themselves cost $14,200 and foam cutouts of Dr Evil Unemployment, another $2,300

73,000 dollars! And this campaign looks like?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a32286152349.jpg[/atsimg]

To get your cape, you must take the What Superhero Are You Quiz on Facebook, become a fan of Workforce Central Florida on Facebook, tweet a job posting from the WCF, recommend someone on LinkedIn with the word Super and… get a photo of you with a foam cutout of Dr Evil Unemployment. www.bleedingcool.com...

Slick huh?

Oh, I meant sick huh?

Yeah, and now after the fact, now the State launches a "probe" so they can spend money probing
derisable insanity!?

State labor officials asked their inspector general Monday to investigate why a Central Florida agency wants to spend public money to furnish the unemployed with capes. www.orlandosentinel.com...

edit on 19-4-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I'm surprised they aren't hiring anyone to be sign wavers as part of the promotion.

Oh, wait, that actually produce a JOB.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

Yes, it would have been tax dollars better spent to hire sign spinners promoting
"Dr Evil Unemployment". But, somewhere, I imagine there is a law prohibiting such.

I am with you, its time for the red faced smiley!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Wait, aren't capes something used to "cover up"?
Nm, it;s Florida so it's ok.
Just as long as they're not fiddling with election results.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
And some people still wonder why a lot of Americans are sick of government...

Let's raise taxes so everyone can have a red cape! After all, giving red capes only to the unemployed is somehow ``racist or anti-semite or whatever``...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Oooo Ooooo I want a cape, I want a cape, mommy, mommy, please, I will be good, I promise, can I have one, can I have one, I promise to walk it and feed it!

I wonder what costume shoppe/designer had friends in the legislature who got this passed through?

Captilism, at it's finest.

If there is no bread let them play with capes!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I would go find a job in a hurry if I had to wear one of those. There might be some smart psychology there.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I find it on the insulting side..they could have gotten food or a job for WAY less that $73,000 for everyone thier. then again, Florida is not really a good state to live in, law wise.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Yeah, capes!
They should have at least bought blankets!
This makes spending on Fema Camps look smart! :shk:

Oh, and I just love how they have launched a probe now...
So they can spend thousands and thousands of tax dollars on an "investigation".

edit on 19-4-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I can see this happening and I can even see how it happened.

Somewhere some overpaid person with either a psychology degree or a sociology degree (PhD I'm sure) decided they needed to improve the morale of the unemployed.

In their infinite wisdom they decided that unemployed people obviously love Comic books (why else would you be unemployed?) and if they can pretend to be super heroes their morale would improve, they would get jobs, and be happy thus saving the world. From there this overpaid PhD would feel vindicated and go on to other projects, possibly building a crystal palace in the arctic where they can oversee their HR consulting firm...

That or it fails and they go talk to their therapist about it.

ultimately it would have been better to spend 20K administering a lottery to give 5 people 10k. I think that would be more motivational than a cape but thats just me.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
amusing yet corrupt

This has to be the most pointless unemployment solution ever in the history of the world... although I do think I would look dashing in a red cape

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

wat if you take the test and your superhero isnt one that requires a cape

does that mean along with no job you get no cape

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I'd like to know who owns the cape company!

Probably someone in the loop.
edit on 4/19/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
And some people still wonder why a lot of Americans are sick of government...

Let's raise taxes so everyone can have a red cape! After all, giving red capes only to the unemployed is somehow ``racist or anti-semite or whatever``...

Ooohhh....wait for it! This could be part of the investigation...imagine!
Just think how costly this investigation could become!

Talk about job security for Floridas State Attorney Generals office!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Do we get a pointy hood too?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
I wonder what costume shoppe/designer had friends in the legislature who got this passed through?

I am sure a child could have done a better job.

At least they could have come up with an intelligent idea.

This is just FUBAR.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Hahaha!! This is hilarious, florida must have the funniest news in the whole country. Everytime I see something absolutely rediculous in the news chances are it happened in Florida.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
I find it on the insulting side..

Agreed, as someone mentioned the psycology of it is twisted...

Intentional?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
It's an avocation for job placement...

Listen, you know scientists are given 500,000$ a year under special grants to see how worms poop?...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

In the private sector, this is the kind of thing that could get you fired. If someone on my team spent resources on this kind of rubbish that would, in my opinion have shown judgement so poor as to be considered gross incompetence I would fire them. Not only is it a total waste of resources, it is embarrising and undercuts the credibility of the organization. That would be it. I would essentially consider it theft and would terminate them. I have a hard time seeing how this is not an abuse of public funds.

This is a terrrific example of why people have no faith in the government. There are absolutely no consequences for failure to perform, incompetence, poor judgement. None.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join